Ridge grapplers E vs F rating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The_reaper_33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I narrowed down my tire selection for my 2020. And I’m going to try a hybrid tire in a 35” the ridge grapplers. I noticed ridge grapplers come in e or f ratings. My question is are their any wear benefits for going to the f rating tires? some reviews I read said if you have a heavy duty truck make sure you get the f rated tire it’ll last longer

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It won't hurt to go with the heavier rated F tire, it's usually the ride that effected going with a higher rates tire.
I doubt there will be much difference if any between the two tires unless your really pushing the weight on the truck. Running off road/rough terrain will year the tires up more than anything.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The Load Range has little to do with wear unless it's a lower Load Range than for what the tires are specified on the door/pillar on the truck.

It's the Load Index Number that matters over the Load Range. It determines the amount of a tire's load carrying capacity. It can be looked up to determine the load in pounds. If your truck requires a 3,640 pound carrying capacity tire, then you want to meet or exceed that. In a Ridge Grappler that could be either a Load Range E or a Load Range F tire depending on its size.

Last edited:

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you are going with a ridge grappler you will need to decide what wheel size you want if sticking with 17" E is your only choice. If going to 18" you have a choice of E or F but not in a an actual 35/12.5-18 that only comes in F but you can get a 285/75-18 which is actually taller in and E. If I were going to an 18" wheel I would do the 285/75-18

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Since Nitto and Toyo are built in the same plant consider the durability of each hybrid tire. The 3 ply carcass of the Toyo is one additional ply over the Nitto.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As mentioned above the load rating should have very little to no impact on the tread life, especially under normal driving conditions. The only way the tread life should be impacted is if they use a harder rubber compound on the tread, but don't confuse a harder rubber compound and load rating of the tire as they are different. Also a harder rubber compound generally equates to less traction is all conditions.

Also as mentioned you would have to go to an 18" rim to get the F load rating. The E rated 35's for 17" rims are capable of supportin 3,200 lbs. per tire, or 12,800 lbs. total which is way above the GVW of a PW. The F's can support 4,000 lbs. I would suspect the F's to ride a lot harsher with the E's.

OP
OP
T

The_reaper_33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for the replies I only asked it because of YouTube lol.. they mentioned the f rated tire to wear better especially for a 3/4ton. Was seeing if this was true or not or if anyone had experience

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
Since Nitto and Toyo are built in the same plant consider the durability of each hybrid tire. The 3 ply carcass of the Toyo is one additional ply over the Nitto.

Yep and the Toyos are a harder compound. I remember the original write up with the Falcon Wildpeaks in Petersen's Offroad magazine. They wished Falken had engineered the tire with 3-plys on the sidewall. They felt it was a bit squirrely.

RDNKB34R

Reaction score

They have a plant maybe 20 miles from the town i live in .

wonder if they have a employees discount?

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i had f rated grapplers on my slt with 20" rims for when my camper was loaded on the truck.they wore extremely well.they came off when the camper was unloaded for the winter so i can't say how they were for unloaded wear/grip,but for carrying a load and pulling the boat at the same time they were top notch.still can't get "f" in a 17" 35,so i just bought 5 in "e" for the power wagon.the supply chain is still so effed up i'm still waiting for the shop to find my 5th tire.it's been a month now.