Right angle drill recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???
Hey everyone!

Doing the drop shackle install (trying to wrap up a 2/4 drop) and looking for some other owners who might have done this and the particular drill used. I've never owned one and not sure what might be too big of a unit or too small to drill holes into metal. Any insight, recommendations, or sites to look at more information are greatly appreciated.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Good machinists drill bits will make more difference than the drill. If you're not going to use it a lot after this most any angle drill will do assuming it has a big enough chuck. If you have cordless tools already then I'd get a bare tool that uses the same batteries. I have a Ryobi that's worked for everything I've needed. I'd have gone Milwaukee like all my high usage tools, but I buy ryobi if it's a tool I won't use a ton since all my old tools are ryobi and decent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
t0ymach1n3

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???
Thanks yall for the responses. I really appreciate the info as I broaden my knowledge and experience with modding my baby.

I think i'm gonna have a shop do it after a lot of thought about it. Being my daily, and that if I mess up, i've got no idea how to fix it, my fear of ******** up bad hold me back.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I was going to tell you that you don't want to use High Speed Drill Bits
They are ok for wood & lighter metals

Thicker metal
What is the best type of drill bit for hardened steel?

Cobalt, titanium & Tungsten Carbide

OP
OP
t0ymach1n3

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???
Appreciate you taking the time to respond. Really boils down to a place to do it and being scared.

PLUS... as I start my truck up, I hear a horrible ticking sound. I think i'm about to figure out how to extract bolts from a head and pray to the lord I don't screw that up lol

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a couple of right angle drills, Makita, and Milwaukee in both electric and battery powered. They work great for doing under dash work, and getting into tighter spaces. My old 9.6v right angle Makita I ended up giving away to my brother when I upgraded to a Milwaukee M12 right angle. I do like the power of the Milwaukee over the Makita for the battery powered one. With the battery stuff, I hardly break out the corded drills anymore. Good luck with your project.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love my 20V dewalt angle drill. compact and variable speed and battery lasts a long time.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Appreciate you taking the time to respond. Really boils down to a place to do it and being scared.

PLUS... as I start my truck up, I hear a horrible ticking sound. I think i'm about to figure out how to extract bolts from a head and pray to the lord I don't screw that up lol
Lol. We've moved on and it's no longer about you.