Right headlight is flaky? Percussive maintenance works...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JB007Rules

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

While I'm getting new tires (And possibly a light bar) I figured I'd also ask to see if anyone has any flaky issues with the main headlight? OEM, stock, passenger side. It's not the bulb because it goes out and for a while I used to take the grill off and adjust and it would work for another couple weeks and go out again.

Well recently I got tired of taking the grill off and I just smack it with the back meaty portion of my fist for some nice percussive maintenance and it randomly comes back on... Sometimes 2 - 3 times I smack it... Not SUPER hard where it would break the plastic but hard enough and it works again for a few days and goes out again...

Should I just buy an entirely new wiring harness? Is that what is causing this issue? How hard is that to replace? Any idea on P/N for that? Picture too maybe? I haven't gone through any deep water or off-roaded this truck hardly at all so I'm not sure why it's doing this?

Thanks in advance for your time! :)

Thanks guys!

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It could still be the bulb. I have seen them not working because the filament is broken, but when you smack it, the filament will move just enough to touch the other part and temporarily weld it semf back together.
What year is your truck, and does it have quad or projector lights.
I would get four new bulbs and weplsve all of them and check the sockets and wire connectors that plug into the lights.

rocket800

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is your truck a 2012? Mine is and does the exact same thing, right headlight too! Can't tell you how many times I have taken the grill off, wiggled the wiring and the light came on for a month or two and back out again. I think it is a bad ground wire somewhere, but haven't really tore anything apart. Replaced the bulb a few times and that never helped.

Following in case anyone has any suggestions.

OP
OP
J

JB007Rules

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
YES rocket800!!!!! Right (passenger) side!!!

@Ram Night - I've replaced the bulb too! It's not the bulb because the EXACT same symptoms exist even with a new bulb! :(

Thanks!

fivehead1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the same issue with my 2011. I bought a new wiring harness from eBay for $20. Hopefully it solves the problem.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had this issue with my 09. Passenger side went out twice in a week. Dealer replaced the bulb the first time, the second time I started looking into it myself and found the Dodge headlight issue. For me all it took was pulling the headlights, cleaning the connections, and twisting the flat blade connectors slightly. Covered in dielectric grease, reassembled, and it's been good for a few months now.

milkman5306

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had the same issue with my 2011 right side. It was a wiring/plug issue. I rigged mine with electrical tape and it has worked for 6 months now.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Funny. I had the issue with my driver's side, once only. Pulled the grill, changed the bulb, didn't come on. Pulled the connections, gave everything a wiggle and its been on for four months. :shrug:

DTMAiroldi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, 2012. Passenger side only. Bought truck new and this light issue has been on going. Will work correctly for months then go through a phase of going out. I usually whack it with my palm it may come back on for awhile, maybe a few days, this last time over a month. (So far) Then some more whacks. Changed bulbs to LED still same problem. Sharing the love, no solution.

Lewybrewing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is a early build 13 and I have the same issue. Every 3 months I pull the grill and re-snap the connector. It SUCKS

carrottop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Having the similar problem currently with the driver side light. Removed it from the truck and works fine, remount and continues working for a couple days. Bought new harness with bulb connectors just in case any of them may be burning out. Considering a return and just cutting out the connectors completely and hard wire from the light directly to the chassis harness.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I think that it is a pigtail in the housing ??

There is a video that i recall watching a couple of times

The website belongs to the Motorcity Mechanic, he knows Rams

watch how he uses the Trim Tool on the dust cover fasteners, he lifts both the cover & the pin together

this was a follow up video that was made a little over a year later

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its been almost 5 years now and no issues with mine after just twisting the flat blade connectors slightly. I even swapped out headlights and went to LEDs for a while before going back to the halogens. No issues with the connectors since.