Ripped Seat - Just DO It!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marc Taylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You know... That ripped seat on the left side that you see every time you get in or out making you feel sad.
Well, just sew that sucker shut.

I lined the underside of my rip with gorilla tape so I would have something more substantial to sew / pull on and used an upholstery needle and some nylon cord used for tying a peep sight into a bow string.

You'll need needle-nose pliers, but the rest our grandmothers could pull off.

Just DO it. LOVE mine now and don't get a sad feeling every time I get in and out.

:-]]

Attachments

• IMG_1753.jpeg
    IMG_1753.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1752.PNG
    IMG_1752.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 36

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did mine a couple years ago, too. Just didn’t use the gorilla tape underneath. The repair has lasted, but all of the areas around it started to rip apart recently and I had to accept defeat. Probably would’ve lasted longer if I lined the whole underside with gorilla tape, but it’s too far gone now. I actually just now finished installing a new cover that I bought from an upholstery shop off of EBay. Was $150. Looked well made, but sadly it fits like crap. I bought it months ago and just now got around to it, so probably a bit late for returning it. I’ve actually got the seat sitting on the floor in front of me as we speak debating on just putting the torn one back on. It has to be back in the truck by tomorrow morning to drive. Frustrating as hell.

Attachments

• AD32CF9F-71AE-4864-80C0-A139DF0B2F44.jpeg
    AD32CF9F-71AE-4864-80C0-A139DF0B2F44.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 12
  • C1F70644-2DCD-4778-960C-39B381D4DB70.jpeg
    C1F70644-2DCD-4778-960C-39B381D4DB70.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 12
  • E3A8193D-EA2A-4E18-BA55-46403DF661C1.jpeg
    E3A8193D-EA2A-4E18-BA55-46403DF661C1.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 12

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did mine like that until the foam gave out then replaced everything. Sewing it bought me some time,worked great
Who did you buy your new cover from? How was the fit? And how was the color match of the material?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
check out Geno's Garage
They carry good products

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
check out Geno's Garage
They carry good products

Yes, I’ve bought a lot of stuff from Geno’s, including my seat foam. They do have good stuff. When I went to get the seat cover, it said they were out of stock. Also, they were pretty proud of them. Think it was $245 for just the bottom cover. I know you get what you pay for, but thought I’d do ok because I ponied up for a moderately expensive one at $150 from a company that makes them in the US. Silly me.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How was the foam? That usually degrades as well at the rip. If I remember correctly the complete seat bottom is interchangeable from left to right and vise versa. The left side seat in my buddies ram 3500HD tow truck split like that on the outer edge and he said he took the seat bottom out and swapped it with the passengers side seat bottom. Obviously he didn't fix it but at least now the rip is on the inside of the passenger seat and it's not as noticeable. Just a heads up if you don't want to spend the money to replace the cover only.

Doughboy43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought the seat cover and foam from Geno's. I bought the OEM cover in mist grey and considering that the rest of the seats were original and slightly faded it was a perfect match however the first few times I looked at it I noticed a difference in the shade but a year later it blends in nicely. The foam or cushion was their Duro Foam and it was exactly as advertised and after a year it is still as new. I did find a couple of other places that had the covers in a quality I would have purchased but Geno's was the only one that stated it would fit a standard cab and in the color I have. The fit is factory perfect which is what I was looking for and super easy to install.

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Durofoam is the way to go, especially if you're a bigger guy. Very supportive.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How was the foam? That usually degrades as well at the rip. If I remember correctly the complete seat bottom is interchangeable from left to right and vise versa. The left side seat in my buddies ram 3500HD tow truck split like that on the outer edge and he said he took the seat bottom out and swapped it with the passengers side seat bottom. Obviously he didn't fix it but at least now the rip is on the inside of the passenger seat and it's not as noticeable. Just a heads up if you don't want to spend the money to replace the cover only.
The foam from Geno’s is definitely superior to the factory stuff. Worth the money. As for the passenger side cover fitting, it probably would fit, but you will have to cut a hole in it for the seat adjustment lever, and it will have vinyl facing out instead of the fabric. If you’re just trying to do a poor man’s fix and looks aren’t important, I’m sure you could make it work.

Reactions: Mop

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Before and after of my seat repair and a link to the write-up I did, describing using a pass seat bottom on the drivers side.

Attachments

• Seat 1a.jpg
    Seat 1a.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 6