Riveted front lower ball joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hesabiggin111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Ok I have a 2007 ram 1500 5.7 rwd quad cab and I'm wanting to replace the front lower ball joints and these suckers are riveted. No big deal (even though I've never done riveted ball joints) except I have no idea where to get the replacements. When I was talking to the guy at the auto parts store he acted like I was crazy and said they got nothing like that as if I was making it up. So I made him come out and look and he said wow that's a new one on me. I was so mad I just left. I'm a carpenter not a mechanic so I don't know the inns and outs but I can fix just about anything thanks to you guys and YouTube. Anyways I figure I'll have to get them off the internet so if anyone has done this and could throw me a link to the exact parts (front passenger and driver's side lower "riveted" ball joints) I'll need and where to find it that would be awesome. Thanks guys

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Very odd. I can't seem to find an application for a 2007 with riveted ball joints. The aftermarket suppliers like Moog show pressed-in after 2001. Plenty of youtube videos on removing riveted balljoints. The replacement ones come with bolts to replace the rivets.

Moog does show a new lower control arms for the 2007 that includes the ball joint.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep, found that out too when me a buddy lowered mine with the McGhouhy's front lowering spindles and back flip kit.
Unfortunately, it's been so long ago I don't remember how we did it, sorry?

OP
OP
H

Hesabiggin111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Thanks guys I don't know if this is why it has the riveted ball joints or not but it has 20" tires. Also is it possible for a rwd to get the death wobble? It felt like my driver side front tire wobbled for a couple of seconds yesterday on the freeway or is it just needing an alignment or something and I'm probably just gonna replace the lower control arms with the ball joints in the front. I love this site it's my go to whenever I need solid answers. Thanks everyone

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Woah woah woah, if you've got "wobbles" there may be other issues that warrant a deeper inspection. First, get the front end off the ground and properly supported on jack stands. Ensure your trans is in Park, rear wheels are chocked, and parking brake is on.

1. Grab the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions of a front wheel. Try to tilt it back & forth. There should be no play in the wheel assembly. Example Pic. If there is, you could possibly need new wheel hub assemblies since they're a single unit with the bearings.
  2. Take the front wheels off. Check the attachment points of the upper and lower control arms to the hub bearing assembly. Try pulling/wiggling the hub assembly up/down/side-to-side. There should be no play in the hardware except when manually "turning" the wheels. If there is, keep an eye on the ball joints themselves.
  3. Now try pulling each hub assembly in/out. Keep an eye on the mounting points to the frame of the upper & lower control arms. If there is play/movement where they are bolted to the frame it could indicate bad bushings, thus replacing the bushings or the whole control arm assemblies.
Take note of any parts that have play/movement or have an audible metal-on-metal impact as you're shaking/jostling everything. You're also looking for torn rubber boots on the ball-joints, or worn/destroyed rubber bushings. I just went through all this last year because I had those symptoms.

Bones84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ltr

MikeysCars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I have a 2007 ram 1500 5.7 rwd quad cab and I'm wanting to replace the front lower ball joints and these suckers are riveted. No big deal (even though I've never done riveted ball joints) except I have no idea where to get the replacements. When I was talking to the guy at the auto parts store he acted like I was crazy and said they got nothing like that as if I was making it up. So I made him come out and look and he said wow that's a new one on me. I was so mad I just left. I'm a carpenter not a mechanic so I don't know the inns and outs but I can fix just about anything thanks to you guys and YouTube. Anyways I figure I'll have to get them off the internet so if anyone has done this and could throw me a link to the exact parts (front passenger and driver's side lower "riveted" ball joints) I'll need and where to find it that would be awesome. Thanks guys
The joints press in and out. has nothing to do with the rivets.

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im thinking if there are rivets they are aftermarket lowers. Probably cheap ones.

jcsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 V6
I know this is an old thread. The rivets hold the forged end piece to the control arm. You just grind what looks like a weld bead , and press the ball joint out.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah kind of old, however the 1500 Chevys have this type of lower ball joints. Hammer back the pushed over pins or grind them off. Install regular c clip ball joints. Can’t be any different from this year rams that have them. I’d imagine!