RL 5w-30 switch

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Musky Mike, Jan 4, 2019.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. clint440

clint440 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Interesting, will do.

I inherited the K&N 77 series CAI. Came on the Ram when I bought it. I'm skeptical of KN filters.

tidefan1967 likes this.
  2. joshuaeb09

joshuaeb09 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    They work ok if you keep them properly oiled, however, I too ain't the biggest fan. I much prefer the dry flow filters from the likes of AEM or AFE which also come stock with the newer Mopar CAI's. Sadly my Vararam uses the oiled green filter that no-one seems to make a dry flow to replace so I'm religious in my oiling procedure when I clean it.

The easiest way to rid yourself of the oiled filter would be to measure it and simple grab a dry flow filter as a direct replacement. Being that most K&N intakes just use one of their off the shelf cones it should be pretty easy to find a dry flow that fits without much effort.

Edit : AEM does have a direct replacement. Being that K&N and AEM are in bed together it makes since

https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=RF-1044

https://www.aemintakes.com/search/product.aspx?prod=AEM-21-2100DK

Or the same filter as the K&N non oiled intake filter :

https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=RU-3101HBK

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 7:15 AM
    clint440, Burla and tidefan1967 like this.
  3. Got 1

Got 1 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7l v8
    Bought my truck brand new. Did the first oil change at 4500 miles and I switched to RL 5w-20 with RP oil filter. With the factory oil in it I experienced the tick at cold starts so after switching to RL, it quieted down the engine but I still heard the tick for couple of times, not so often though.
    Few days ago, at 10k miles did a new oil change, this time with RL 5w-30 and same RP filter. Truck purrs like a kitten and NO tick at startup. Next thing I'm planning to do an uoa, since I assume the engine was broken in so far. I'll probably keep it for 7k miles then drain it and send a sample to Blackstone.

What's your oci with RL 5w-30 and Royal Purple oil filter?

tidefan1967, Burla and Old Fart like this.
  4. clint440

clint440 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    It has the KN 1044 dry filter on it. I was thinking to replace it with an Amsoil:

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...ir/amsoil-ea-universal-air-induction-filters/

Part of me wants a different intake altogether but I'm not sure if it's a wise investment. How do you like the Varam? I'd be ok with an oiled filter if it's proven to filter.

tidefan1967 and Burla like this.
  5. joshuaeb09

joshuaeb09 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7

I had the S&B prior and I ended up hating it long term. I could never get rid of the rattles on back roads no matter what I tried (Foam, rubber mount isolators, you name it), but loved the disposable paper filters with a pre-wrap. I certainly noticed a difference when I swapped to the vararam and it frees up so much room in the engine bay. The biggest difference I noticed from the vararam was a big drop in the IAT and a bit more pep at speed over my S&B intake or the stock box. With my Greene tune its a little more noticeable on top of that.

Sometimes I'm tempted to see if I can fit the 2nd battery tray from a CTD over where the stock stuff was and swap to the 220amp police alternator, but then I remember I'm only running 850ish Watts RMS lol.

clint440, tidefan1967 and Burla like this.
  6. Burla

Burla Senior Member Military Member

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
    depends on how you drive and the truck, everyone is different. I suggest getting a uoa. My truck goes 2 years 10k miles with ease as proven by uoa.

tidefan1967 and Got 1 like this.
  7. Got 1

Got 1 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7l v8
    Most of my driving is in the suburbs, like 1k/month. Definitely I'll do a uoa on my next oil change.
    Thanks.

tidefan1967 and Burla like this.
  8. Burla

Burla Senior Member Military Member

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
    Yeah, that is harder on oil then long trips, but those are my miles as well. Most of the time Redline can be a long interval oil if someone chooses it to be.

clint440, tidefan1967 and Got 1 like this.