Road Trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
This week I took my 2015 RAM 1500 4x4 SLT to Ct .from Me.

Average speed 70 MPH. Traffic good and a few traffic jams maybe 5 /10 minute s to get through but always moving !

AC on at times. My best MPG going down was 23.9 MPG ,

On fill up back home hand calculated 22.6 MPG round trip numbers !

So I am pretty happy :) I usually average 21.4 . So 1 tank to go back and forth I am happy :)

The rating on my 2015 is 23 MPG so pretty close,

That Pentastar serves me with all the power I need ,

Last edited:

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Yep, 305hp is plenty for me too. The 8-speed is a major player too, don't know if 2015's have that????

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Yep, 305hp is plenty for me too. The 8-speed is a major player too, don't know if 2015's have that????
Yea I also have the 8 speed.. Very happy with a Full size 4x4 getting 21/22 mpg

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love my RCSB 4x4 V6 with the 8 speed.... great mileage and plenty of power for what I use it for everyday.

Revchuck38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Three weeks ago I drove my 2020 Classic from southwest Louisiana to Las Vegas and back, staying mostly on I-10. I was moving my son's stuff to his new apartment, so I was towing a U-Haul 5x8 trailer with about 500 lbs. of miscellaneous stuff on the way out, so it was towing about 1400 lbs. The mileage with the trailer on mostly flat ground with no wind was about 18 mpg. Then I filled the truck up and noticed there was a pretty good headwind, weather.com called it 15-20 mph. I only got 15 mpg from that tank. When I filled it up again I noticed that the headwind was stronger; weather.com called it 25-35 mph! That tank only got 12.5 mpg. During that part of the trip, the tach was showing 3200 rpm on the flats and 4100 rpm uphill with the cruise control set at 70 mph. It got marginally better when I-10 turned northwest at Tucson. Google Maps took me to Phoenix and put me on US 93, and the transmission got quite the workout from there to Las Vegas. I don't remember what mileage I got on that part of the trip. The return trip with no trailer was uneventful, I think I got 21 mpg going the speed limits (80 mph in some sections).

I'm pretty pleased with how the truck handled that trip. I had bought it with the thought that I wanted a full-size car with a pickup bed so I picked one with the 3.21 rear end to maximize gas mileage, and it would get only occasional use as a truck around town. The 1600+ miles towing the trailer didn't faze it, even with the tall rear end. Having the eight-speed transmission was nice. :)

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Three weeks ago I drove my 2020 Classic from southwest Louisiana to Las Vegas and back, staying mostly on I-10. I was moving my son's stuff to his new apartment, so I was towing a U-Haul 5x8 trailer with about 500 lbs. of miscellaneous stuff on the way out, so it was towing about 1400 lbs. The mileage with the trailer on mostly flat ground with no wind was about 18 mpg. Then I filled the truck up and noticed there was a pretty good headwind, weather.com called it 15-20 mph. I only got 15 mpg from that tank. When I filled it up again I noticed that the headwind was stronger; weather.com called it 25-35 mph! That tank only got 12.5 mpg. During that part of the trip, the tach was showing 3200 rpm on the flats and 4100 rpm uphill with the cruise control set at 70 mph. It got marginally better when I-10 turned northwest at Tucson. Google Maps took me to Phoenix and put me on US 93, and the transmission got quite the workout from there to Las Vegas. I don't remember what mileage I got on that part of the trip. The return trip with no trailer was uneventful, I think I got 21 mpg going the speed limits (80 mph in some sections).

I'm pretty pleased with how the truck handled that trip. I had bought it with the thought that I wanted a full-size car with a pickup bed so I picked one with the 3.21 rear end to maximize gas mileage, and it would get only occasional use as a truck around town. The 1600+ miles towing the trailer didn't faze it, even with the tall rear end. Having the eight-speed transmission was nice. :)
Nice trip and good to know the V6 worked well ! My usual MPG at 70 is 22 mpg. I also have 3:21 gears ,Very happy with the MPG for a full size 4x4 Quad cab

Irishguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
My average since I bought mine has increased to 23 mpg. That includes quite a bit of running around our cabin up here near Chattanooga and a recent trip to Macon. So I'm very pleased.

I just installed a 1.5" leveling kit yesterday, so that should hurt the mileage a little bit.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Three weeks ago I drove my 2020 Classic from southwest Louisiana to Las Vegas and back, staying mostly on I-10.

Are you from Lake Charles? I hope you avoided the recent flooding. Lake Charles needs a break!

Revchuck38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I’m from just north of there. We got a good bit of rain where I live but not like in the worst spot. Some places got 17” of rain in about three hours according to the National Weather Service.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I’m from just north of there. We got a good bit of rain where I live but not like in the worst spot. Some places got 17” of rain in about three hours according to the National Weather Service.

Glad to hear you got by. We are from TX but my daughter graduated from McNeese and we care a lot about MSU and SWLA. I know the hurricane recovery is still in progress. In Winnie TX we got 50" of rain in 4 days during Harvey. Somehow my house did not flood then but Imelda came later and it did flood then. I moved to Baytown, then my new home flooded just two weeks after we moved in.

MikeinSonoma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 etorque
My 2021 Rebel, V6 etorque, averages 16.1/mpg. Over 10K some on interstate, live in the country. Told by Ram and two dealerships it's my driving, apparently how you activate the cruse, can give you low mileage. Between Reno and Salt Lake City, no stopping set to 75mph, 17.8 mpg. EPA says 19/21/24. Frustrating, they put it on a machine and tell be the computer says nothing is wrong. One drove it on the freeway round trip 11 miles and told me the trip computer said 20.1. I got in the truck and is said 19 (I've noticed that, computer reading drops after I turn off and restart it) That's why I use Fuelly and get the real miles driven compared to the gas used. They know the computer on short drives is not accurate, they seem to have a play book to get rid of customers with faulty engines.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My 2021 Rebel, V6 etorque, averages 16.1/mpg. Over 10K some on interstate, live in the country. Told by Ram and two dealerships it's my driving, apparently how you activate the cruse, can give you low mileage. Between Reno and Salt Lake City, no stopping set to 75mph, 17.8 mpg. EPA says 19/21/24. Frustrating, they put it on a machine and tell be the computer says nothing is wrong. One drove it on the freeway round trip 11 miles and told me the trip computer said 20.1. I got in the truck and is said 19 (I've noticed that, computer reading drops after I turn off and restart it) That's why I use Fuelly and get the real miles driven compared to the gas used. They know the computer on short drives is not accurate, they seem to have a play book to get rid of customers with faulty engines.
That does sound low MPG, The truck computer is about 1 to 1 1/2 MPG high then hand done

What gear ratio do you have ? That may be causing the low MPG !
Tire size stock or ???
A lift ?