Rodents under hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I'm a mouse motor guy but, does my heart good to see a Chevrolet Orange Rat once in a while.

Pic is for the young guys out there that scratched their heads on my last post.

Yes, there was "ss" before "xx". You could find it on the fenders of my Camaro too.470aedb0cff9654c80d0f192c8f207f2.jpg

Do ya remember when they had free tiger tails to put on the gas cap? I had a couple of em at one time

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
Sure do. Had one on our Pontiac Catalina Station Wagon. "Put a Tiger in your tank"

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
rats or squirrels have damaged several cars in our neighborhood by chewing up wiring and other stuff. several folks have put some fox pee in a few spots under the hood and that seems to have worked. can get from feed store. we dont use poison because there are several hawks living in the area treetops and nobody wants to make them sick from eating the varmints.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I would offer to loan you my shop snake but McBroom would come over and kill it. LOL

I don't remember the name of it but Home Depot sold an electrical rat trap that ran on four C cells. I was skeptical but bought one and gave it a try... Holy crap did that thing work GREAT!! No fuss, no muss... Dab some peanut butter through a hole on the back wall, flip the switch to ON, drop it inside the attic hatch... Check it in a hour or so to see if it was working, one dead rat! Dumped the carcass in the trash, set it back in the attic, couple hours had another one! Got rid of the horde of fruit rats that invaded my attic one winter... I still have it somewhere but haven't needed it since the shop snake first made it's appearance in the garage...

I gotta say, I'd recommend one! The trap or snake! LOL

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Rat related Side bar:
Question: What would be your ideal first car as a just starting out 21 year old driver with limited 4-speed experience ?

Answer: 1972 Chevrolet Chevelle SS, 454 LS5, 4-speed Muncie M-22 Rock Crusher, 3.73 Posi.

Bought that car and never had two nickels to rub together afterward, but holy ***** them were some good times.

T

View attachment 160559
I hate you. LOL.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I'm familiar with the slogan but not familiar enough apparently. I always assumed it was an old Exxon slogan, never even heard of Esso.

Also, I agree with those who said to use mothballs. I grew up next to a farm field, out in the woods and we always had rodents in our cars. I put some moth balls in the glove box, trunk, and under the hood when I parked my car for a few months. Next time I was in it, not a trace of mice.
Here's your sign.il_570xN.1302280994_ixs5.jpg

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Some of the stations that had "The tiger in the Tank", also offered a little stuffed "tiger tale" that you attached to the gas cap giving the appearance that a tiger was in your tank. It was a pretty cute promo idea. Don't ask me how I know that. I know it is off the topic, but what about the Cities Service stations with "Eager Beaver" service..
I had a friend that attached that tiger tail to the ***** bar of his Schwin Stingray bike.

I had an STP oval sticker on my Schwin 5 spd banana seat.

We were 9 yrs old & we were cool, man.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
LOL,
I just googled "STP sticker" and one popped up on ebay for $1.69. I bought it. Maybe I'll put it on the seat of my FatBoy and imagine I'm cool again. Ha.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
I live in the woods, I have deer mice and bigger wood rats all around.

My neighbor mixes a water-soluble hot sauce with more water and sprays it under his hood, he says it works but be careful where you put your fingers after working in there.

I've heard that nearly any strong-smelling odor will deter rodents. I have been using Lavender oil on cotton balls in my motorhome, no more mice---so far. I bought some cheap Lavender bathroom spray to use in my garage and under hoods, it seems to be working---so far.

If I park a car and know it will sit for a while, I leave the hood open, that also seems to work, we have hawks and ravens who will take rodents home for lunch.

Outside cats definitely work but on cold mornings you must look under your hood before you start it up....

1/2" hardware cloth in air box entrances will work.

But here's the big thing: all animals have "Neo-phobia". Rubber snakes, owls, etc. do work---for a while. Fake predators that move are better, but they get ignored too after a while.

I know zero about sonic devices repelling rodents.

If you use poison anywhere near a car, you may later smell the results IN the car---you do know how I know that, right? I hates those meeces to peeces!

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Moth balls wrap up in a cloth and tie up to something near the firewall it will keep them away

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Irish spring soap. Works great

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40