roof paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin-591500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 x2
Engine
5.9 Magnum, 5.9 24v Cummins Turbo Diesel
Everyone who has one of these knows that ****** roof paint is a given, and on black trucks it sticks out a mile away. ive heard many solutions that dont invole a paintjob. now im asking you if they are any good
1.Plasti-Dip
ive head many good things, as well as many bad things about plastidip. someone told me if i plastidip my roof i can make it look a little better, anyone here tried that?
2.vinyl wrap on just the roof
i have no clue how they do wraps, but ive been told they could wrap the roof panel only. is this possible?
3. semi professional rattlecan
i know i said no paintjobs but ive seen a few videos of people effectively blending rattle can jobs and clear coat with the OE paint. how hard would this be to do?
any help is appreciated

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Is this in regards to the 2001 in your sig? Brother, any 20yr/old paint job is going to be shiddy at this point. Worst case scenario, I'd rattle can it or cover it with black POR15 if you had to.

Reactions: Mop

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You’d be amazed what can be done with a rattle can, so long as you are meticulous about how you do it. Wet sanding, cleaning, priming, and then using a 2K paint and clear coat (these require a respirator mask). If you are already unhappy with the way it looks, it doesn’t hurt to give the project a try. Just be sure to mask off and cover even more of the rest of the truck than you think is necessary to protect from overspray.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it were me, I would get some good rattle can paint. Rustoleum is my go to. I like the way it lays, and the trigger. Treat any rust, primer, then paint and then clear.

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree above. If you go rattle, 2k clear is a must. I've done some small areas on my truck, (due to clearcoat fade) and you can't tell until you look closely. Prep is important. Sand the clear, clean, lay the color, then lay a tack clear coat, then go heavier until it looks "wet."
Let it outgas for a few days (important). If you see some orange peel, you can lightly wet sand, and/or compound and wax. It might not win awards, but it will look better, and it's less expensive than other means.
I have heard positives about the other things you mentioned. But they won't look shiny, like the rest of the truck. That would be your decision.

Teddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 HEMI
Hello
I am also facing the dilemma of deciding which paint to use for my roof. Could you share the type of paint you have used? I came across a specific roof-paint during my research on Google, but I'm not convinced yet. Since I have never painted a roof before, I would greatly appreciate your advice and assistance.