Roof Rack=Bird Crap!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just venting.

When I bought my truck 5 years ago, I got a paint matched Leer camper shell with it. The shell has rails on the roof for a cargo rack, but I never used them.

Me and the wife have a 4000 mile round trip, road trip coming up in June, and already own a Thule cargo box that we use on her Durango.

I just installed a set of Thule feet and Aeroblade roof bars ony camper shell, so we could use the cargo box on that trip.

I was pretty happy with the install, it actually looks great on the truck.

Except,

Birds absolutely love those bars. I bet they can recognize those bars as a primo landing site from 10,000 feet.

Every single day after work, I gotta drop by the car wash. Every single day, without exception. Giant gobs of ****!

It looks like a whole clan of bald eagles landed, and took turns ******** off the ends of the bars, down the sides of the camper shell.

Since I'm at work, miles away from the building, I have no idea what kind of birds it is, but when I get back to at the end of the day!! They gotta be big. Not a sparrow. The **** itself is bigger than a sparrow. Looks like kids dropped ice cream cones and it melt down the sides of the truck.

The **** spots, each directly under the 4 load bar ends on each side, look like someone poured white paint out of a pail. I'm afraid to even look up on top of the shell.

So, the roof rack is in the bed of the truck now. 400$ worth of parts that I can't leave on my truck when not in-use.

If only my employer would pay me to sit in the parking lot with a pellet gun and cooler of beer!

chris1126

RAMINA
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just venting.

When I bought my truck 5 years ago, I got a paint matched Leer camper shell with it. The shell has rails on the roof for a cargo rack, but I never used them.

Me and the wife have a 4000 mile round trip, road trip coming up in June, and already own a Thule cargo box that we use on her Durango.

I just installed a set of Thule feet and Aeroblade roof bars ony camper shell, so we could use the cargo box on that trip.

Except,

Birds absolutely love those bars. I bet they can recognize those bars as a primo landing site from 10,000 feet.

Every single day after work, I gotta drop by the car wash. Every single day, without exception. Giant gobs of ****!

It looks like a whole clan of bald eagles landed, and took turns ******** off the ends of the bars, down the sides of the camper shell.

Since I'm at work, miles away from the building, I have no idea what kind of birds it is, but when I get back to at the end of the day!! They gotta be big. Not a sparrow. The **** itself is bigger than a sparrow. Looks like kids dropped ice cream cones and it melt down the sides of the truck.

The **** spots, each directly under the 4 load bar ends on each side, look like someone poured white paint out of a pail. I'm afraid to even look up on top of the shell.

So, the roof rack is in the bed of the truck now. 400$ worth of parts that I can't leave on my truck when not in-use.

If only my employer would pay me to sit in the parking lot with a pellet gun and cooler of beer!
i laughed so hard at this, not due to birds have used your truck cap as a toilet, but just reading it was hilarious. i would take a vacation day and a pellet gun and go to work.

chris1126

RAMINA
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
id lay a rubber snake on my cap and see if thay works. p.s still laughing. im sorry but you wrote that so well. :happy175:

OP
OP
Ken226

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yea

Something can **** me off, yet still be funny. :)

It's just that, these days, it's like $2.50 just to get a car wash to start pumping water. At this rate, in 6 months the car wash will have cost me more than the roof rack.

I hope a cat gets those sumbitches!

chris1126

RAMINA
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea

Something can **** me off, yet still be funny. :)

It's just that, these days, it's like $2.50 just to get a car wash to start pumping water. At this rate, in 6 months the car wash will have cost me more than the roof rack.

I hope a cat gets those sumbitches!
throw a rubber snake on your cap. get a big ol rubber snake and wrapper around the rails. im thinkn that may work.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
OP
OP
Ken226

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So, half an hour ago I dropped by the car wash, on my way home to hose it off.

I looked up on top of the shell, and there wasn't so much as a drop. None at all on top, just down the sides.

So clearly, they only **** off the very end of load bars. Each end, of each load bar.

I couldn't help but wonder, if its just one bird, and he spent all day, running from one side to the other, and hopping from bar to bar, ******** off the ends.

Or if there were several of the rat ********, hopping over each other to take turns ******** off the ends.

Or maybe it's an instinct thing, where they only like dropping a chud with clear air below, so each one throughout the day just bounces over to the end of the bar.

Either way, I'm gonna try the rubber snake idea. I'll probly forget it though, and drive off with it up there. Just my luck, it'll land on some lady's windshield as we're coming up to a light and she'll rear-end me

At least now I know where all the cherry's off the wife's cherry tree are going!

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
We had pigeon issues at work ,someone put an owl on the roof where they perched, was good for about three days then the owl was covered in **** . Great story, thanks. Zip ties trimmed back with a little stub sticking up kinda like barbed wire might do it , but wouldn’t look the best.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Old trick to keep them off ACs was spray the top with WD40.
Something to make the rails slippery maybe.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
go to your local farm supply store and get a solar powered electric fence set up just made sure to isolate it from the truck.washington state probably ravens their smart 1 zap they won't be back. you will have to make it so when the birds land and wrap their feet around the bars it completes the circuit zap ***** *****

OP
OP
Ken226

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This **** just started when we started getting sunshine.

Since that's only a few months per year, I'll just leave the rack off until the end of August.

In September, it'll start raining. When it starts raining, itll rain all day, every day, and won't stop untill April of next year. The birds aren't around so much during the rainy season.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just venting.

Except,

I feel your pain, but I must say that you wrote that piece so well. Laughed my ass off at the way you described it.

+1 on the electrification soultion, but wonder if that would actually lead to more ****.....lol.