Rotary gearshift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warv3t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got used to that rotary knob the second I changed gears for my 2 hour test drive lol ..........I don't have mine yet, tho. You know what's hard to get used to.............the gear shifter in my wife's Mercedes. It's on a "stalk" opposite side from the turn signal!!! Look at firecadet613......joined the ranks of "my truck has arrived" ...........I hope to be in that club soon. Yesterday made 4 weeks and I really think it'll hit assembly by Tuesday. Been in D1 since June 1

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
No issues with me. I took to it pretty easy.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I reached for nothing but air a couple times, that's about it!

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I turned the Ac knobs a couple times by mistake, moved the gear selector by mistake a couple times too. I had it down within a few days. Now I don't even look at it. The toughest part for me was that my previous vehicle was a 6spd manual. I actually reached for the clutch pedal a few times haha.

MaximumSteel18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This will be my first. How long did it take to get used to it. I've rested my right hand on gearshift knobs(manual or automatic) for 40+ years. Hopefully the change won't drive me bonkers.
I thought the same when I went from the 10' to the 18', but I haven't even reached for the shifter, not once so far. I really like the additional open storage.

SilverBullet85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the knob in my Durango also so that helped I'm sure...I find it intuitive for the most part...Keeps you from doing anything you shouldn't do if for example you turn it by mistake on the hwy etc...I will say I think I liked the location in the durango a bit better for usability but it frees up all that space being on the dash so it's a good compromise IMO.

dav8388

Reaction score
Ram Year
In limbo between trucks
Engine
3.6 pentastar
I've had mine a little over a month and I got used to it right away. I have reached for the fan speed knob a couple of times. But usually realize my mistake before turning the knob cause of the difference in size.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I drove mine most of last week and it's natural enough now that I threw my old truck in 4low instead of drive when I hopped in. I'm sure when I hop into the new one again I'll grab air a couple times and adjust quicker every time I swap back and forth.

alwi228

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hahahah to some of these answers. I'm pretty sure I've cranked the volume up a few times shifting into drive. But honestly, it was immediately comfortable to me. I came from a pretty unconventional shifter in the 15 Grand Cherokee that didn't last long in the FCA lineup, but it probably acclimated me to not having a gear shifter in the center console. Love the truck!

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
All my Ford's before i moved to the RAM trucks had column shifters, as did my 2012 express. My 16' bighorn has the dial and it took some getting used to, but i absolutely love it.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

SilverBullet85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I turned the Ac knobs a couple times by mistake, moved the gear selector by mistake a couple times too. I had it down within a few days. Now I don't even look at it. The toughest part for me was that my previous vehicle was a 6spd manual. I actually reached for the clutch pedal a few times haha.
I have a Challenger that is 6 spd....I think I go for the clutch in anything I drive afterwards, at least once haha.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

This happened to me too. Now I’m so used to it that I get into my fiancé’s Compass and turn the volume or AC knob trying to change gears ‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I can get used to pretty much any control system as long as it has a tactile feel. That way once I get used to where everything is I can keep my eyes on the road while I adjust things. As long as they don't make it shift by touchscreen I'll deal with it.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
you get so used to it that if you go and drive a different car you might catch yourself reaching for the knob. Yesterday in my charger I did just and grabbed the radio knob, but immediately knew it was the radio and then thought "duh wrong vehicle"