Rotating tires and TPMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doldsen83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
2018 Ram 1500

Im ready to rotate tires, will the TPMS automatically figure out what sensor is in what location or do I need someone or a tool to relearn them?

Thanks

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Funny i just got new tires and when i got in the truck the front said 75 and the rear said 60 i actually asked the guy if they filled them up backwards and he laughed and said it would correct itself. I was like what?. And it did a mile or 2 down the road. My old vett i had to go around with a magnet and learn them.

Brummo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Mines weird, maybe because one of mine is not reading/sending signal, but each of my tires needs to be moved counter clockwise 1 corner for them to read right in the EVIC.
My LF is being displayed as LR, LR is being displayed as RR etc. Have no signal display on RF in EVIC. I'm thinking the RR has a bad sensor..
I just put new rims and tires on..

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Mines weird, maybe because one of mine is not reading/sending signal, but each of my tires needs to be moved counter clockwise 1 corner for them to read right in the EVIC.
My LF is being displayed as LR, LR is being displayed as RR etc. Have no signal display on RF in EVIC. I'm thinking the RR has a bad sensor..
I just put new rims and tires on..

Are yours aftermarket or OEM sensors?

Brummo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Are yours aftermarket or OEM sensors?
Aftermarket or whatever TireRack uses. I trust they would use something that works or they'd have real issues with their business. They are made in USA. Dill OE 6815

Last edited:

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Suggest sticking to OEM sensors. Don't ask me how I know...

You may have been unlucky. I used a set of $40 Amazon specials with my new wheels/tires and they sync'd up in about two blocks and have never had a hiccup since.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny i just got new tires and when i got in the truck the front said 75 and the rear said 60 i actually asked the guy if they filled them up backwards and he laughed and said it would correct itself. I was like what?. And it did a mile or 2 down the road. My old vett i had to go around with a magnet and learn them.
That is funny. Two sets of tires ago when they were mounted the EVIC said 0psi on all of them. I thought they messed something up and asked but they said after I drove a few miles it'd show back up. Just like they said, about halfway home they all showed up, never had a vehicle figure itself out like that but it's certainly a nice feature.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Aftermarket or whatever TireRack uses. I trust they would use something that works or they'd have real issues with their business. They are made in USA. Dill OE 6815

I'm sure they'll work, but they'll require programming. OEM sensors with the right part number for your model year will never need programming.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I'm sure they'll work, but they'll require programming. OEM sensors with the right part number for your model year will never need programming.

What does the programming consist of out of curiosity? I took my aftermarket sensors (still sealed in the package) my new wheels and tires all to the tire shop. They mounted/balanced. I picked them up later, threw them in the back of the truck and drove home. Mounted them at home and they sync'd up within a couple blocks. The shop never mentioned anything about programming. I'm guessing they'd need to know some details about the truck for that and they never asked. The sensors did have the exact same part number on them as OEM but for $40/set I'm pretty sure they either weren't OEM, or the dealership marks them up like a **** and you can get OEM for much less on Amazon....:33:

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Depending on the brand of aftermarket sensor, the tire shop I use has different hand held scanners. One style plugs into the vehicle's diagnostic port. Others are radio frequency.

That's sweet to know those Amazon sensors worked by themselves!