Rough Country N3 shocks. Front and rear installed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
UPDATE:
Put V2 on the rear from RC. The N3 in the rear was to soft. I like the ride so far.
--
Its been two months since I ordered the shocks. Wanted to do an update since there isn't much info on the RC N3 shocks. LIttle history, on this truck I have had Bilstein, Fox, Eibach, and ICON.

I don't feel price played a part in the ride quality as many post. It comes down to do you like digressive or linear shock ride. Do you like twin tube or mono tube ride. The mono tube tend to be stiffer in ride quality per design.

Now lets get to the Rough Country N3 shocks. I feel these shocks are close to the OEM ride which is soft. There is no performance gain like you'd get in a mono tube shock because these are twin tube shocks. But, that's why their a softer ride if that's what you want. I was told by Rough Country the N3 shocks are linear. They have 200psi. Now, when you press down on them by hand, they don't feel like they have 200psi like Fox says their are. I'd say more like 50-100psi. Just my opinion.

If you tow, i'd pick one of the other shocks listed above.My choice would be ICON or Bilstein in that case. As for offroad, I liked the ICON and like the RC N3. The offroad I did was fireroads with some good size rocks. To me, the Fox was a disaapointment all around. They were also the stiffest when you tried to compress by hand. The RC N3 is the softest.

Linear means the shocks is soft around town but firmer on highway vs digressive is firm around town and soft on the highway.

If you have followed my threads, I have bought new OEM rear coils and put them in with a 1.5" spacer. I removed the TCC-1210 coils.

To some it up, if you want a OEM replacement but get some lift, Rough Country N3 is a good choice as its a soft shock. If you want performance (handleing & towing) i'd look more at ICON or Bilstein. Their a firmer shock. But, also firmer over bumps and potholes.

I hope this helps someone decide on their purchase. Because none of the shocks are created equal.

RC coiloverB.jpg

Rough Country Shocks.jpg

Spacer5.jpg

Last edited:

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now lets get to the Rough Country N3 shocks. I feel these shocks are close to the OEM ride which is soft. There is no performance gain like you'd get in a mono tube shock because these are twin tube shocks. But, that's why their a softer ride if that's what you want. I was told by Rough Country the N3 shocks are linear. They have 200psi. Now, when you press down on them by hand, they don't feel like they have 200psi like Fox says their are. I'd say more like 50-100psi. Just my opinion.

If you tow, i'd pick one of the other shocks listed above.My choice would be ICON or Bilstein in that case. As for offroad, I liked the ICON and like the RC N3. The offroad I did was fireroads with some good size rocks. To me, the Fox was a disaapointment all around. They were also the stiffest when you tried to compress by hand. The RC N3 is the softest.

I replaced the rear shocks on my truck with Monroe Reflex. These were noticeable stiffer than then factory 58,000 mile shocks. Have 3/4" rear spacer and AirLift 1000 bags (inflated to about 10 PSI). Rear end of my '16 seems to have decent control now, is stable and reacts fairly quick (as much as can ben expected) on the frost heaves and potholes we have around here. Front end I installed a 1.5" top spacer on the factory struts, I am looking to replace the front struts soon and considering options. RC N3 has been a consideration. Did you get a full 2" front end lift ? How about sway?

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@Ram7081 you have spent quite a bit of money on your journey. You referenced eibach but didn’t give your take on them. Also fox makes adventure series, performance series, race series that all function differently. I like this write up a lot of good information but specify what each comparison is.
I’m also surprised that you bypassed the Bilstein 6112’s my guess is they were out of stock when you were swapping out set ups. I’d also like to here why you have changed so many times? Searching for a softer ride or just not happy with outcomes?
This thread should help a lot of readers understand the differences and options

maybe someone with rancho’s can chime in with their experience

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As i said in another thread i never had any issues with my Ranchos and i was running the 9000 XL rears for the old 2500 trucks since i wanted a longer than stock shock. Zero issues with the truck bouncing, zero issues not feeling the different firmess settings, truck rode as smooth as stock with them set at #4, sportier at #6. I went with the Rancho QL kit couple of weeks after getting my truck home, then later on upgraded the rear 9000 XL from the 1500 ones to the 2500 versions.

Rancho QL's gave me 2.5" in the RAM initially, then settled down to 2.25". Ran them for 12k miles with plenty of offroad time in between trouble free and again smooth riding before they became my backup shock set. I went with King OE initiallly, then went to run Accutune tuned out Kings.

I'm running my old Rancho 9000XL shocks right now in the back temporarily (Rear shocks are at King getting work done) and the truck rides so smooth with them at #6 is not even funny considering i have $1800 King coilovers in the front to compare the ride with. No difference on the street with them until the truck touches the dirt. Then Kings are day and night especially when my right foot gets nervous and i want to hear the Hemi roaring and watch a big cloud of dust in the rear window :)

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I replaced the rear shocks on my truck with Monroe Reflex. These were noticeable stiffer than then factory 58,000 mile shocks. Have 3/4" rear spacer and AirLift 1000 bags (inflated to about 10 PSI). Rear end of my '16 seems to have decent control now, is stable and reacts fairly quick (as much as can ben expected) on the frost heaves and potholes we have around here. Front end I installed a 1.5" top spacer on the factory struts, I am looking to replace the front struts soon and considering options. RC N3 has been a consideration. Did you get a full 2" front end lift ? How about sway?

Yes, I got the 2" lift strut for front. No sway.

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
@Ram7081 you have spent quite a bit of money on your journey. You referenced eibach but didn’t give your take on them. Also fox makes adventure series, performance series, race series that all function differently. I like this write up a lot of good information but specify what each comparison is.
I’m also surprised that you bypassed the Bilstein 6112’s my guess is they were out of stock when you were swapping out set ups. I’d also like to here why you have changed so many times? Searching for a softer ride or just not happy with outcomes?
This thread should help a lot of readers understand the differences and options

maybe someone with rancho’s can chime in with their experience
Yes I have, lol!
I was searching for the soft ride due to back issues.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
RC Coilover.jpeg
I would think if you were going to go rough country in search of a softer ride you would have when to a coil over like these Vertex. Since your signature line states that you have N3 Coil overs. These have adjustments to give you a softer ride. With back issues you'd want maximum shock travel. @ram1500rsm happens to be a shock wizard that also keeps spread sheets of all his findings. I would have picked his brain prior to just throwing parts at it hoping to get the desired outcome

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
View attachment 226519
I would think if you were going to go rough country in search of a softer ride you would have when to a coil over like these Vertex. Since your signature line states that you have N3 Coil overs. These have adjustments to give you a softer ride. With back issues you'd want maximum shock travel. @ram1500rsm happens to be a shock wizard that also keeps spread sheets of all his findings. I would have picked his brain prior to just throwing parts at it hoping to get the desired outcome

On RC site, their only available for 6" lift.
As for travel. I did order based on measurement not what they said. Meaning, their site said to order the 26" extended. But, after measuring I could install a 28". So, I gained 2" of travel over RC recomendation. Not the same as a v2. But, I did max the most I could.

Last edited:

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
On RC site, their only available for 6" lift.
As for travel. I did order based on measurement not what they said. Meaning, their site said to order the 26" extended. But, after measuring I could install a 28". So, I gained 2" of travel over RC recomendation. Not the same as a v2. But, I did max the most I could.

Oh I see they only make the 2" for jeeps and chevys

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ain't a shock wizard. Too much responsability :) i just have been fortunate enough to be able to play with different setups in different vehicles and have learned to play with the basics and use them to my advantage to get improvements in the areas i consider more important for what i want my vehicle doing and how i drive it. The real wizards are the companies in the aftermarket making parts for us to improve what the factory did. knowing specs on your shocks, spring rates, caster ranges is part of the basics you need to make informed decisions.

Reactions: JB1

desperadoxxxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As i said in another thread i never had any issues with my Ranchos and i was running the 9000 XL rears for the old 2500 trucks since i wanted a longer than stock shock. Zero issues with the truck bouncing, zero issues not feeling the different firmess settings, truck rode as smooth as stock with them set at #4, sportier at #6. I went with the Rancho QL kit couple of weeks after getting my truck home, then later on upgraded the rear 9000 XL from the 1500 ones to the 2500 versions.

Rancho QL's gave me 2.5" in the RAM initially, then settled down to 2.25". Ran them for 12k miles with plenty of offroad time in between trouble free and again smooth riding before they became my backup shock set. I went with King OE initiallly, then went to run Accutune tuned out Kings.

I'm running my old Rancho 9000XL shocks right now in the back temporarily (Rear shocks are at King getting work done) and the truck rides so smooth with them at #6 is not even funny considering i have $1800 King coilovers in the front to compare the ride with. No difference on the street with them until the truck touches the dirt. Then Kings are day and night especially when my right foot gets nervous and i want to hear the Hemi roaring and watch a big cloud of dust in the rear window :)
Thank you for your time and valuable information. I own a 2019 ram rebel 5.7 Hemi (currently have stock bilsteins and 1" lift) with Stock Rims/Tires.
I already have a a Rough Country Forged Aluminum UCA (3-3.5"). Besides the Bilstein B8 5100 Height Adj. Shock, What "Loaded Struts" would you Recommend that "Will Bring the Front End Level with the Rear End - No Rake either way" and Either "Equal or Surpass" my "Overall Current Factory Ride Quality" for Both "On Road & Off Road" (my Off Roading will NOT be Anything Extreme i. e. Racing, Catching Air - Lol, etc).... I've been Considering the "Rough Country Loaded Strut 3.5" (in Tandem w/ my already purchased Rough Country Forged Aluminum UCA 3-3.5" UCA)" to Replace the Current Factory Struts (1" lift and bilsteins) to "Level Out Front End with Rear End - No Rake Either way"......I Would Value Your thoughts on this.

Thank you again for your time.

heckcat9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for your time and valuable information. I own a 2019 ram rebel 5.7 Hemi (currently have stock bilsteins and 1" lift) with Stock Rims/Tires.
I already have a a Rough Country Forged Aluminum UCA (3-3.5"). Besides the Bilstein B8 5100 Height Adj. Shock, What "Loaded Struts" would you Recommend that "Will Bring the Front End Level with the Rear End - No Rake either way" and Either "Equal or Surpass" my "Overall Current Factory Ride Quality" for Both "On Road & Off Road" (my Off Roading will NOT be Anything Extreme i. e. Racing, Catching Air - Lol, etc).... I've been Considering the "Rough Country Loaded Strut 3.5" (in Tandem w/ my already purchased Rough Country Forged Aluminum UCA 3-3.5" UCA)" to Replace the Current Factory Struts (1" lift and bilsteins) to "Level Out Front End with Rear End - No Rake Either way"......I Would Value Your thoughts on this.

Thank you again for your time.
A 3.5" lift without correcting the geometry and locating points is kind of pushing it. It can work if you keep the truck on pavement but definitely won't feel like the factory ride.

If you're looking for that much lift, you would be much better off with a 4" lift from Zone/Rough Country/BDS since these kits include brackets and spindles to correct your geometry back (or as close as possible) to factory spec.