RPB style gril on 02-05

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am considering working on making a "RBP"ish grill for my truck. I haven't seen anyone do an 02-05 this style yet. I have searched and found nothing. If I decide to do this I should start making progress on it over the break/spring semester. (I played my last college season of football so I have a lot more time on my hands). So I was posting this thread as a feeler for pointers and any ideas. I pretty much have the plan all in my head figured out how everything is going to be mounted an what its going to look like. Now we will see if I can put it on to paper and execute it properly.

I plan on shaving the dodge head on the top of the grill, painting the shell black, removing horizontal bars, and creating insert that are black, black edged, and black bolts on it.

This is my basic "model" I am worried about the red and black not looking good.

Maybe black the vertical bar out. Red shell, black outer piece with chrome bolts??

This is why I posted this thread. To bounce ideas off of you guys.

RX_Dodge_06-08.jpg

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
not feelin' it.

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I wasn't leaving it could photoshop it out for you. You should ask johnny.

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
To me that is something that would look good on a big truck. Like 2500 or 3500 big. Don't get me wrong, I like the look. But you need to have the whole package with the recon cab lights, big lift, overall big truck and grill and maybe even a big ol' winch up front. Just my opinion of course.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Gonna be the first to say I like the idea of it, the center bar dosent make it look like a *** big mouth grill.

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
What is there protecting the trans. cooler and radiator?

OP
OP
Oefootball_70

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a black mesh, its kinda hard to see in the picture. Someone on another forum said that the grill shell should be painted black as well. I am not really looking for the all black look on my truck I think the red shell with all black insides will look pretty slick.

I just can't justify spending 1k on a grill that I think I could make for 150 bucks.... I am hoping thats all it cost. lol. We will see. I guess if I get done and it doesn't look good on my truck then I will sell it.

To me that is something that would look good on a big truck. Like 2500 or 3500 big. Don't get me wrong, I like the look. But you need to have the whole package with the recon cab lights, big lift, overall big truck and grill and maybe even a big ol' winch up front. Just my opinion of course.

Now although I have a 1500 I do have the lift/cab lights/tow mirrors/and such. That is why I feel like it will fit right in with my truck.

OP
OP
Oefootball_70

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do think that my chrome bumper will look out of place at that point tho. So I guess I will have to get a new one then. :) Maybe a sports bumper. Who knows.

OP
OP
Oefootball_70

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did pick up my first piece for the project. 3 dollars worth of an aluminum corner piece to cut into a few pieces to hold the grill and the inserts together.

Side note on the design. DO you think that where ever the insert mounts, from there back should be painted black? That is kinda what I am thinking.

I did price out the sheet metal piece that I would need to do the entire 2 sections. About 35 bucks. and then the clippers to cut sheet metal (10-45).

Also I would need to pick up a can (maybe 2) of the factory PR4.

.... List keeps getting longer... lol

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think that would look good with a chrome shell and chrome inserts. Paint your piece black and use chrome bolts.

OP
OP
Oefootball_70

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree froggy, I think it would look good chrome. But I am going to have to make cuts and such. And I don't feel like the chrome will be able to keep the "look" so I just planned on painting it. Because sometime in the future I plan on getting a painted bumper so I think the grill shell red would match better at that point.

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not bad but he didn't change the grill shell

OP
OP
Oefootball_70

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, but it deff gives me a general idea/feel about it tho. And I am going to continue on with it, really slow. But I am going to continue.