Running board courtesy lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, I think my next modification will be to add some courtesy lighting around my steps, either to the pinch weld area or just behind it. My question isn't related to mounting the lights, but wiring. I want the lights to come on when you unlock/open the doors. I'm assuming I can either tie into the courtesy light by the drivers side kick panel or tie into the mirrors some how. I figure the light by the kick panel would be easiest, unless there's an option under the hood I'm not aware of. Has anyone done anything similar? Are there easy ways to get a wire inside the cab near the kick panels?
Thanks

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie / 2020 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2017 Laramie and I have the white courtesy light (puddle)/sequential amber turn combo led strips just under the doors on each side. They come on white when the interior courtesy lights come on (unlock, door open, etc) and work with the turns/flasher sequentially in amber. They are mounted on the pinch weld under the cab.

I ran the courtesy/puddle light wires (in wire looms) under the cab and into the rear floor bins through the rubber grommet there....sealed everything underneath with silicone. Then ran the wires up under the carpet to the plugs behind the rear seats that have the pin for the small led lights under the seat bottoms. Should be a similar set up in your truck to use the plug for those interior LEDs. Turn signal wires ran in looms to the rear turn signals.

I also have a tailgate light bar with sequential amber turn signals (and brake and reverse lights). I installed the running board lights with the sequential flash running back to front. When I turn on a turn signal or flashers, the rear bar runs from the center to the out side and then the running boards lights run back to front almost entirely in sequence. The sequence ends at the mirror turn signals also. Makes for a pretty nice visual and really gets the attention of other drivers..no doubt of what my intention is!!

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2017 Laramie and I have the white courtesy light (puddle)/sequential amber turn combo led strips just under the doors on each side. They come on white when the interior courtesy lights come on (unlock, door open, etc) and work with the turns/flasher sequentially in amber. They are mounted on the pinch weld under the cab.

I ran the courtesy/puddle light wires (in wire looms) under the cab and into the rear floor bins through the rubber grommet there....sealed everything underneath with silicone. Then ran the wires up under the carpet to the plugs behind the rear seats that have the pin for the small led lights under the seat bottoms. Should be a similar set up in your truck to use the plug for those interior LEDs. Turn signal wires ran in looms to the rear turn signals.

I also have a tailgate light bar with sequential amber turn signals (and brake and reverse lights). I installed the running board lights with the sequential flash running back to front. When I turn on a turn signal or flashers, the rear bar runs from the center to the out side and then the running boards lights run back to front almost entirely in sequence. The sequence ends at the mirror turn signals also. Makes for a pretty nice visual and really gets the attention of other drivers..no doubt of what my intention is!!
This actually sounds like a decent idea. I'll have to crawl around and see if where everything is at and start mapping everything out.

jeffrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I have a couple questions about how you have them wired up before I purchase a set of these running board lights. I read through your response I just want to double check because the way you wired it sounds like the best way compared to some other guys.

1. Are the lights you purchased 2 wire plus ground or 3 wire plus ground.
2. Do the parking lights (amber) on the running board lights work off the parking light switch so they can be turned off while driving and not always on?
3. Do the lights go off while you are driving or are they always on because I know some other guys say the amber lights are always on while driving and there is no way to shut them off?

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. Are the lights you purchased 2 wire plus ground or 3 wire plus ground.
- 2 wire plus ground
2. Do the parking lights (amber) on the running board lights work off the parking light switch so they can be turned off while driving and not always on?
- You can wire them that way to work as running lights, solid amber, with the parking lights. Mine have that extra wire to make them work as running lights but I chose not to. If you want to work them off the switch, you need to find the right wire on the back of the switch. It was easier for me to wire them off the turn signal (L/R) and then they are only turn signals.
3. Do the lights go off while you are driving or are they always on because I know some other guys say the amber lights are always on while driving and there is no way to shut them off?
- If you wire them from your parking lights, they will be on when the parking lights/running lights are on. If you want to turn them off while driving and the parking/running lights are on, then you would need to run a relay and switch inside the cab to turn them off..

jeffrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Do you by chance remember what color the wires were behind the seat that you tied into. Just to give me an idea of what I am looking for. If you don’t remember it’s all good. Thanks

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do not; however, I just used a tester light to probe the plug/socket for the wire that was hot when the courtesy lamps were lit. Toggled them on and off to make sure I had the right one and then used the common ground wire in the plug.