Running Board Mounting Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhuss96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone who has mounted mopar running boards, how did you mount around the side impact bracing on the driver's side? Or did you guys just remove it? The brackets it comes with won't sit flush due to the bracing bolts.

BJkTMk8.jpg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ll have to go slide under mine right quick and look because even though I no longer have the Mopar running boards, my truck did come with them. I’ve long since upgraded to aftermarket one but the mounting brackets they came with bolted up to the rockers just the same as the factory ones...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what boards you got? As you can see in the pic, they bolt up flush to that bracket, as so did the original Mopar ones. 2e47f69f8ab499d4640aa2c2cbbbf694.jpg
194a73078eb483a2d52ee7acee1ca824.jpg

OP
OP
Jhuss96

Jhuss96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So what boards you got? As you can see in the pic, they bolt up flush to that bracket, as so did the original Mopar ones. 2e47f69f8ab499d4640aa2c2cbbbf694.jpg
194a73078eb483a2d52ee7acee1ca824.jpg

These are the board I got. The brackets are pictured, I might have to have one of them cut into to shape it properly.

XQ4ed37.jpg

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Anyone who has mounted mopar running boards, how did you mount around the side impact bracing on the driver's side? Or did you guys just remove it? The brackets it comes with won't sit flush due to the bracing bolts.

BJkTMk8.jpg
Did you look carefully at all 6 brackets to see if they are all the same? Quite often Ram boards have a different bracket for front drivers. One reason..because the front drivers bears the most weight most often & maybe because of that impacting bracing as well?

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These are the board I got. The brackets are pictured, I might have to have one of them cut into to shape it properly.

XQ4ed37.jpg

I see your brackets require assembly.... what do they look like assembled because could it be possible that you were just holding the part of the bracket that bolts to the rocker, up there in its place wrong?

What year is your truck and what is the part number for your kit?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you look carefully at all 6 brackets to see if they are all the same? Quite often Ram boards have a different bracket for front drivers. One reason..because the front drivers bears the most weight most often & maybe because of that impacting bracing as well?

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

I guess maybe that’s true with some steps but when I removed my factory steps, they looked pretty much identical to these below. All the brackets looked exactly the same. 6ab50c9a601ebf482b11433e00e32335.jpg

OP
OP
Jhuss96

Jhuss96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I see your brackets require assembly.... what do they look like assembled because could it be possible that you were just holding the part of the bracket that bolts to the rocker, up there in its place wrong?

Yep I've doubled checked each bracket and they are all the same, they look different from the mounts on @corneileous OEM steps. I'll probably call the parts department at my local dealer and see if I can get some more info on it or see if they sell individual brackets I can buy.

OP
OP
Jhuss96

Jhuss96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I assembled one following the instructions included as a test and confirmed the fitment from multiple directions. I've found I can flip the bracket upside down and it will fit however it will put the running board at a slight slope that would differ from the other mount positions, but I may pursue that option. Every other mounting point on the truck fits fine, it's just the one with the impact brace that is trouble.

The part number is: 82211700AE and my truck is a 2016 1500 Sport Quad Cab.

The only other thought I have is it may be a running board made before they produced trucks with the impact brace? The mounts look different and I purchased off ebay rather than a dealer so it could be an old production. Either way I got it for a good enough price that I'll figure out a way to make it work right.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The part number is: 82211700AE and my truck is a 2016 1500 Sport Quad Cab.

The only other thought I have is it may be a running board made before they produced trucks with the impact brace? The mounts look different and I purchased off ebay rather than a dealer so it could be an old production. Either way I got it for a good enough price that I'll figure out a way to make it work right.
the impact brace was added for the 2016 model year. I do remember guys running into this problem back then but the running boards didn't list compatable for '16 and dealers assumed they would fit.

OP
OP
Jhuss96

Jhuss96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That’s weird, when I searched that part number, this came up which looks just like the brackets did on mine. What does your brackets look like assembled?

https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-black-aluminum-running-boards-quad-cab-82211700ae

I saw the same thing looking it up, I thought I'd receive one with brackets like yours. My guess is they're older production of the same running boards

This is what the brackets look like:
UiuvZes.jpg iUAZnxl.jpg
PyMHp21.jpg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, those are much different brackets because those don’t even have the spot for the two smaller bolts that attach the bracket also to the pinch weld on the very bottom. But can you not flip that upper flange part over where it bolts to the cab? It would seem to me that the triangular shape part of that would be the top....

OP
OP
Jhuss96

Jhuss96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, those are much different brackets because those don’t even have the spot for the two smaller bolts that attach the bracket also to the pinch weld on the very bottom. But can you not flip that upper flange part over where it bolts to the cab? It would seem to me that the triangular shape part of that would be the top....

I can flip it however the bracket will sit at an improper angle due to the shape of the bracket when lined up with the holes attaching the flange to the bracket.

VU1yudj.jpg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can flip it however the bracket will sit at an improper angle due to the shape of the bracket when lined up with the holes attaching the flange to the bracket.

VU1yudj.jpg

I see that now, that what I suggested probably wouldn’t work but maybe you need to go look for the right brackets like at a junkyard somewhere because those that you have just do not seem like the right brackets for your model-year pickup. If finding the right brackets that look like the ones I posted in the pictures is out of the question, then you’re just going to have to get creative with a plasma cutter, cutting torch or cut off wheel to trim those two front brackets and then repaint them before you attach them to your truck.

But see then again, I don’t see anywhere on those brackets that you have that allows the bracket to also be attached via two small bolts right there on the very bottom of your rocker panel where the pinch weld is. Those pictures that I supplied don’t really show it, and if I would’ve thought about it I would’ve included that in the picture I took of my new running boards but there’s actually a total of four bolts that attach each bracket to your cab. Just the two big bolts that are visible in the picture I took are not the only two bolts.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I put boards in mine and while I did not have the problem you are showing (try what was already shared, try different support bar as mine were confusing as well), I had to cut one bolt on each side for the hole under the door pillar. What a PITA! They were Tyger Blades. If your underside does not already have the bolts welded on, from factory, avoid those. Customer support was non-existent. Someone takes a message and promises to have tech support look at it. Then either a office worker calls you back a week later (which results in another wait for a follow up question) or no answer at all. And a promised modified part was never shipped.

OP
OP
Jhuss96

Jhuss96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I see that now, that what I suggested probably wouldn’t work but maybe you need to go look for the right brackets like at a junkyard somewhere because those that you have just do not seem like the right brackets for your model-year pickup. If finding the right brackets that look like the ones I posted in the pictures is out of the question, then you’re just going to have to get creative with a plasma cutter, cutting torch or cut off wheel to trim those two front brackets and then repaint them before you attach them to your truck.

But see then again, I don’t see anywhere on those brackets that you have that allows the bracket to also be attached via two small bolts right there on the very bottom of your rocker panel where the pinch weld is. Those pictures that I supplied don’t really show it, and if I would’ve thought about it I would’ve included that in the picture I took of my new running boards but there’s actually a total of four bolts that attach each bracket to your cab. Just the two big bolts that are visible in the picture I took are not the only two bolts.

These do not seem to utilize those two smaller body holes you're referencing, my old running boards did not utilize those either but I do see that the newer mounts utilize them. I'm going to see if I can purchase the newer mounting brackets because the boards themselves appear to be exactly the same between years. If not I'll get creative with that one flange. I got the set new for less than half the cost for a brand new set, so I really can't complain if I have to pay a little to get it all fitted right.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These do not seem to utilize those two smaller body holes you're referencing, my old running boards did not utilize those either but I do see that the newer mounts utilize them. I'm going to see if I can purchase the newer mounting brackets because the boards themselves appear to be exactly the same between years. If not I'll get creative with that one flange. I got the set new for less than half the cost for a brand new set, so I really can't complain if I have to pay a little to get it all fitted right.

OK so, help me clear some things up… In the picture below.....
7bb03f987352cc99f09de95dc31bb9d6.jpg
....you’ve only got two of those kinds of flanges. Since those are a lot flatter on top, is it possible that those two flat plates above is what gets used on the front of your running-boards?

I would think the reason why the other four, that are exactly alike- like the one attached to the bracket in the picture below....
4da17d00c6adba5c674747e26910ebde.jpg
....is why you’ve got four of those to go in the center of and on the back end of your running-boards, is because there’s no clearance issues like where the front brackets go. And since that’s obviously an older design, maybe that’s how that kit was designed before they designed the kit like what I’ve got where all the brackets are virtually the same and won’t have clearance issues with that cab bracket that you have to deal with.

But just on a sidenote, in the picture below where those two arrows are pointing is where the extra tab I’m talking about should be that bolts to your pinch weld which I didn’t see on your new brackets; which doesn’t matter I guess, your runningboards should be secure enough without those, I would just think that maybe they added those in later on in the years just for added support.

My aftermarket running board brackets are exactly the same as the factory ones but they still bolt up exactly the same way as the OEM brackets with that little tab right there.
f1cfe8aca4838d0c8862e75c17bfffdc.jpg

OP
OP
Jhuss96

Jhuss96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK so, help me clear some things up… In the picture below.....
7bb03f987352cc99f09de95dc31bb9d6.jpg
....you’ve only got two of those kinds of flanges. Since those are a lot flatter on top, is it possible that those two flat plates above is what gets used on the front of your running-boards?

I would think the reason why the other four, that are exactly alike- like the one attached to the bracket in the picture below....
4da17d00c6adba5c674747e26910ebde.jpg
....is why you’ve got four of those to go in the center of and on the back end of your running-boards, is because there’s no clearance issues like where the front brackets go. And since that’s obviously an older design, maybe that’s how that kit was designed before they designed the kit like what I’ve got where all the brackets are virtually the same and won’t have clearance issues with that cab bracket that you have to deal with.

But just on a sidenote, in the picture below where those two arrows are pointing is where the extra tab I’m talking about should be that bolts to your pinch weld which I didn’t see on your new brackets; which doesn’t matter I guess, your runningboards should be secure enough without those, I would just think that maybe they added those in later on in the years just for added support.

My aftermarket running board brackets are exactly the same as the factory ones but they still bolt up exactly the same way as the OEM brackets with that little tab right there.
f1cfe8aca4838d0c8862e75c17bfffdc.jpg

I have test fitted the square shaped flanges and it is unfortunately the same result, the brackets all are a bit too tall to sit flush against the impact brace. I have seen some people simply remove the brace, which I may end up doing depending on how much luck I have with other solutions. Unfortunately the IIHS crash tests between '15-'16 before and after the brace was introduced seems to have little if any impact on wheel protrusion & driver compartment deformation in small overlap crashes which the brace was designed to stop. So I don't think I would be putting myself at serious risk by removing it.

Absolutely agree with you about the bracket design though, it seems to be pretty clear these brackets were designed for 09-15 Rams before the brace was introduced. I did a bit of research before getting them but mostly based on the part # and I don't think theres any way I wouldve noticed such a subtle difference in mounting.

I see what you mean about the pinch weld mounts, I'm not too worried about those because my old set of boards were hard as a rock and didn't utilize those mounts.

What set of aftermarket boards are you running? I'll see if a company is willing to sell me one bracket like the one you posted above. There are tracks on the underside of my running boards that allow me to get creative with what mounts I use, so I may test a few out.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have test fitted the square shaped flanges and it is unfortunately the same result, the brackets all are a bit too tall to sit flush against the impact brace. I have seen some people simply remove the brace, which I may end up doing depending on how much luck I have with other solutions. Unfortunately the IIHS crash tests between '15-'16 before and after the brace was introduced seems to have little if any impact on wheel protrusion & driver compartment deformation in small overlap crashes which the brace was designed to stop. So I don't think I would be putting myself at serious risk by removing it.

Absolutely agree with you about the bracket design though, it seems to be pretty clear these brackets were designed for 09-15 Rams before the brace was introduced. I did a bit of research before getting them but mostly based on the part # and I don't think theres any way I wouldve noticed such a subtle difference in mounting.

I see what you mean about the pinch weld mounts, I'm not too worried about those because my old set of boards were hard as a rock and didn't utilize those mounts.

What set of aftermarket boards are you running? I'll see if a company is willing to sell me one bracket like the one you posted above. There are tracks on the underside of my running boards that allow me to get creative with what mounts I use, so I may test a few out.

So of the brackets that you have just two of, can you not bolt them up to where the two oval shaped mounting holes are on the top and the center square hole is on the bottom? But either way, I don’t see why you couldn’t trim those two running board brackets to fit in conjunction with those other brackets on your truck that’s essentially in the way.

But according to the instructions that came with your kit, where does it say that those two brackets get used?

As for my runningboards, I went with the wheel to wheel Laverne mega steps. 513f4d62101016bcd6712522f0d15c2a.jpg