Running Boards or Drop Steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmans5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Warlock
Engine
5.7L HEMI VVT V8 w/FuelSaver MDS
I have been on the hunt for one or the other, doing WAY to much research and I think I have it narrowed down to 2 options.

Option 1.

https://www.roughcountry.com/dodge-...l?find=2019-dodge-ram-1500-classic-4wd-375269

I like the look, and reviews are pretty good

Option 2.

https://www.westinautomotive.com/hdx-drop-nerf-step-bars/2019/ram/1500-classic

Again look good and good reviews (more or less)
I like both these styles as the picture show them high and tight, without the gap I see on the ones that usually come stock or some aftermarket brands...I just don't like seeing the gap, it looks...odd to me.

The truck isn't a serious off roader, I do intend on getting a leveling kit on it(well Blisten adjustable shocks actually or possible a 2-3 inch lift) and some different tires, a little more off road than the SRA's it came with, but even then, the dirt roads when going to a site for work, up to the Race track out a few evenings, or along a logging road to the lake is about as Off-Road as I go.
I like the running board as it is the entire length of the cab and I do occasionally have to pick twigs off the front window and the HD2 would make that easier, but the HDX will make it overall easier to enter the vehicle, not a big deal to me but for the wife and kids there would be less complaining.
anyone have either of the 2? what did they like/didn't like? Anyone got a better recommendation (and no not the power ones, WAY to rich for my blood).

Noneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie. 35's 2 inch level. Raceme. Fully deleted 5 inch FlowPro Exh
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Don't have either, but I've been going through a few sets of steps and just added new ones to my 13 2500 CC. (2 inch level and 35s) Here's the pros and cons. The truck came with a tube style nerf bar when I bought it. They started getting ugly after a couple years so I replaced them with a drop step style. (Cheapos off eBay.) I liked them for the lowered step height on my 2500. What I didn't like was they got in the way when putting my truck on the lift and the step was not in the perfect position for me and it was always awkward exiting the truck because the step was not exactly where I needed it to be. And after a year the powder coat had chipped and they were starting to rust so they had to go. I just replaced them with OEM Mopar tube steps. They are aluminum so they won't rust and should be a little more durable. The step pads are longer than the drop bars and I don't have to adjust when exiting the truck. The downside of course is it's a big step down. So, personally if I were you, I think on a 1500, the better choice would be the running boards not the drop steps.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bmans5

bmans5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Warlock
Engine
Never really thought about that issue with a drop step being in the way when doing repairs when using a hoist.

Good info. Thats my big concern is how they will look in a few years, thankfully I know a powder coater and a autobody painter so if I am in need down the road I can get them refinished for cheap (ie beer and me doing the grunt work under their supervision).

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the HD2’s. Love them. I also have a Rough Country Hard Bed cover. What I like even more than how they look is the lifetime warranty. I had a slight issue with the hinges on the bed cover, I called them, sent them a few pics of the problem, and in a few days a brand new $600 replacement was at my door step.

And between the 2 you have pictured, the HD2 would definitely be my choice even if I didn’t already have it because like being able to step on the entire length of the board, not just in two specific spots. I have Rhino Rack cargo bars on the roof that I need to get to when loading and unloading my fishing poles and sometimes it requires me to stand all the way towards the front and sometimes all the way towards the back. It just works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
The HD2's would look good on a Warlock but if you have a fair bit of snow they might allow it to accumulate on the boards.

I had the Mopar boards on my 14 and they looked just fine after 5 yrs in Michigan. I have the same Mopar ones on my 19 Laramie

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I really like my N-fab, they dont drop very far compared to some but give that look.

20200303_160654.jpg

bdc2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the hdxs. Much better with flaps but still collects some mud and snow. It kicks up from under the vehicle und gets into the step from the inside out. If that makes sense. Frozen mud sucks though. But I do like them, they are high and tight.20191120_154537.jpg

Farmer17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
A friend has the full running boards on his truck and he hates them because he gets in the mud and they get covered and there is no place for the mud to go. When he goes to the car wash it takes some time to clean the caked on dried mud and it blows mud all over the place including on him.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got the HDX Drop Steps. Love them! Will buy them again for next truck.

They look awesome; get tons of compliments. They sit tight under the rockers and have the look of a rock rail.

The front steps are longer than the backs which makes them even more functional.

I'm in my fourth years with them and they still look like new. I protect them with the oil type spraying for winter and use a spray on sealant to protect them.

13gHpnA.jpg
R7NbRCf.jpg
HIwDPI8.jpg

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for posting. If I remove my amp steps I’ve been looking at both of these as well as the Tyger Blades for my Red/Black Rebel.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Offroad and step /nerf/ whatever bars don't go together. they're too flimsy to protect anything down there.

White Knucle Offoroad have rock sliders for our trucks
https://white-knuckleoffroad.com/product/ram-1500-gas-diesel-2014-2018-rock-sliders/

Rocky Road Outfitters also have rock sliders for our trucks
https://www.rocky-road.com/ram-1500-rock-sliders.html

Randy Ellys Designs have rock sliders for our trucks
https://www.randyellisdesign.com/store/p32/1500_Dodge_Crew_Cab_Rock_Sliders_Body_Armor_#Rock1500.html

Gor Racing have rock sliders for our Trucks
https://gorracing.com/products/rock-sliders

All can be used to step in and out of the truck and give you the oh chit look with the ruggedness to back it up .

Look at min 34:55 here, This is how we get to the mall in Socal, Lol You can see how ***** step bars twitch and get crushed so easy is not even funny. Look at the RAM or other trucks in contrast with real rock sliders.

Support the rock sliders aftermarket and more companies will join the fun. the more the merrier. :)

Last edited:

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for posting. If I remove my amp steps I’ve been looking at both of these as well as the Tyger Blades for my Red/Black Rebel.

Why would you remove your amp steps?

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Offroad and step /nerf/ whatever bars don't go together. they're too flimsy to protect anything down there.

White Knucle Offoroad have rock sliders for our trucks
https://white-knuckleoffroad.com/product/ram-1500-gas-diesel-2014-2018-rock-sliders/

Rocky Road Outfitters also have rock sliders for our trucks
https://www.rocky-road.com/ram-1500-rock-sliders.html

Randy Ellys Designs have rock sliders for our trucks
https://www.randyellisdesign.com/store/p32/1500_Dodge_Crew_Cab_Rock_Sliders_Body_Armor_#Rock1500.html

Gor Racing have rock sliders for our Trucks
https://gorracing.com/products/rock-sliders

All can be used to step in and out of the truck and give you the oh chit look with the ruggedness to back it up .

Look at min 34:55 here, This is how we get to the mall in Socal, Lol You can see how ***** step bars twitch and get crushed so easy is not even funny. Look at the RAM or other trucks in contrast with real rock sliders.

Support the rock sliders aftermarket and more companies will join the fun. the more the merrier. :)
Those are some nice looking rock sliders! I kinda like the Randy Ellys ones, but they're only for CC's with 5'7" beds and not the CC's with the 6'4" bed. Rocky Road seems to be the only one who does.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those are some nice looking rock sliders! I kinda like the Randy Ellys ones, but they're only for CC's with 5'7" beds and not the CC's with the 6'4" bed. Rocky Road seems to be the only one who does.

I don't know if that will matter in this particular instance as the rocker panel area is pretty much the same thing. I don't know why RRO separate them as CC short bed and long bed. Perhaps something in the way they mount at the back. My rock sliders were custom made by a forum member here and he did them originally for his QC truck and they only have the 6.4" bed. They fitted without issues in my CC 5.7" short bed. They are 96" even front to back and cover the entire side of the truck between both wheels. I had to remove the little floor storage bins we have in the rear though because one of the rock sliders legs is rigth where that bin is my model truck. Again in my case they were custom made so the commercial ones will prob mount differently and have provisions to fit either model.
I had to drill and tap in my case. I don't think you do that with White knuckle or RRO and perhaps Randy Ellis

Gor are cheaper because you have to weld in the legs, and they seem to offer less coverage (they're shorter than all the others) and you have to either weld them to the frame or drill and bolt.

This are my 8FT custom ones. Rock sliders are a must around here in Socal. You already saw from the video i posted above, you can take the wrong turn by mistake and there is no coming back. it's forward or forward :). As you can see no issues with them being used to step in or out the truck, deter the idiots at the mall who think their accord doors are stronger than steel, or desert trails with little rocks here and there.

48891837947_dab0c62493_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

48887905978_da26aa7920_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

48888437151_609fd9a8d1_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

48888614712_3690f719d2_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Last edited:

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Nerf Bars!

Seriously:
  • they're cheap, so if I bang one up on a logging trail I can replace it for little cost.
  • they're ultra-low-maintenance - just wash the stupid things with a hose and you're good.
  • they're not fragile.
  • they won't stop working without warning.
  • they're fat enough to block gravel from chewing your rocker panels (they actually use gravel for traction assist on the roads during icy conditions around here!).
  • they block a lot of car doors in the parking lot pretty well. If I ever leveled the truck, they'd probably block most of 'em.
Lots of other reasons I suspect, but these do stand out...

OP
OP
bmans5

bmans5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Warlock
Engine
Good info all around.

If i was doing any serious off roading sliders for sure, I just don't so way over kill for me.

Thankfully we don't get much snow around here and when we do it's gone in a week, and again since i really don't off road much mud is a none issue.....now rain on the other hand we get that....A LOT! But rain doesn't stick so no worries.

GAH, torn....will sleep on it and then place my order tomorrow...
Do appreciate the feedback, guys here are WAY better than another forum I use to be on with a different truck.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why would you remove your amp steps?

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

Live in Chicago area and currently need to trouble shoot why both steps won’t retract.

Starting to think snow, salt, slush; gears in a non sealed cover... might be a bad mix. Love em when they work. Hate that they are just hanging down

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
My previous truck came with factory running boards, and I was all set to remove them, until I drove it on some dirt and gravel. Yes, they did collect some on the topsides that would need rinsed off. However, all the gravel spraying up from the front tires wasn’t hitting the rockers. And the mud wasn’t coating the windows and door handles. They stayed.

No, they’re not for serious off reading. But for casual dirt, they’re great.

JKLines

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Limited
Engine
Cummins HO
I like that the HD2s allow cleaning the window or washing the truck I would think would be easier ... but I also like having it wheel to wheel so that I can get to things that have slid forward in the bed and when I have my fifth wheel it makes getting to the slider levers easier. Doesn't look like they offer HD2 in wheel to wheel length. Too bad because I do like not having the gap and the wider width.