Running Exhaust Brake All The Time. Good or Bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramit2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,
I'm new here so my apologies if this has been brought up before. I've owned two different trucks with the 6.7 Cummins. I've always run the exhaust brake wether I was towning or empty. Read some things that this is okay and actually some that say it's good. I have no plans of trading in my current 16 anytime soon and want this to last as long as possible. Any feedback?

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I (Myself) have mine on when ever I venture on to the interstate or highway (which is 3/4 of the time).
I normally don't have it on during the in town driving due to I never even get close to or over 45mph. (No Need to have it on)

I never have it on Auto!

My opinion: Run it when you think you need it.

Last edited:

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Good to run all the time except when traction is limited. Keeps veins cleaner.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I don't use mine all the time, but I don't believe doing so will hurt anything. Mine is mainly used to slow me down as I come off the highway or when coming up to a town that drops the speed limit significantly which is common on the farm-to-market roads I travel.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I turn my key then punch the exhaust brake button. It stays on all the time. I'm hoping whatever tuner I decide to buy has the option of turning it on as the default.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I turn my key then punch the exhaust brake button. It stays on all the time. I'm hoping whatever tuner I decide to buy has the option of turning it on as the default.

Most of them do. Mine stays in the same mode when I stop/start it until I change it to something else with both my Anarchy and Hardway tunes.

OP
OP
Ramit2016

Ramit2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the input! Guess I'll keep running it bc I too love sound!
Another question since all you have the 6.7. Ever have a weird oil burning smell when driving? I've owned 2 different rams with the 6.7 and they both did it. Doesn't happen all the time and doesn't matter if exhaust brake is on or off. Only notice it when I come to a stop.

Ghetto Fab.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS!
I (Myself) have mine on when ever I venture on to the interstate or highway (which is 3/4 of the time).
I normally don't have it on during the in town driving.

I never have it on Auto!

Why not? I use mine on auto all the time on the interstate as I find the full exhaust brake to be a bit too much at times. I find having the exhaust brake on full all the time and the tow haul mode on really helps with control on curvy back roads.

Kevin

black-betty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Thanks for the input! Guess I'll keep running it bc I too love sound!
Another question since all you have the 6.7. Ever have a weird oil burning smell when driving? I've owned 2 different rams with the 6.7 and they both did it. Doesn't happen all the time and doesn't matter if exhaust brake is on or off. Only notice it when I come to a stop.

nope - nothing here....only bad smell is after Taco Tuesday ... :) and my wife whacks me ...hehe

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I usually run it all the time in the winter to help heat the engine.
On the highway, brake & tow mode on all the time. I see it as if I need to make
a panic stop, it’s slowing down as soon as I lift off the go pedal.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
With my truck the grade control function is all I need unless there is a grade greater than 6% or a very long downhilll stretch of highway. Otherwise it is off and so I burn less diesel, make a lot less noise (no longer a child) for others with whom I am sharing the road, and prefer not to look stupid. Ever see a sign staying no jake brakes allowed in an area? It was to keep the peace and I live in an area where there are many tractor rigs passing through on a secondary highway and less than 1 in a 100 use their jake brake to come to a stop at a traffic light. But then these are professional drivers so what do they know?

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
The engine brake laws apply to compression release brakes that have the loud popping. They don't apply to the exhaust restriction brakes our VGT has.

redvettx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My 04 stick didn't have an exhaust brake. Can't believe I didn't add one! Love it on my new truck. Running around empty I run it in the auto position. It only comes into play when you hit the brakes and need to slow. I find running full all the time when empty hurts the MPG too much. If you lift for a slower car you get braking which often I just want to coast and not brake. Then you are back the gas to get your speed back costing you dollars. I will use full in the mountains running empty coming off the pass but will switch between full and auto depending on the grade. I just hate the switch position. I wish it was on the steering wheel. I have an open button and would like add the switch if a programmer would allow you to reconfig it.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Keep your foot lightly on the fuel and brake won't kick on. If you need full brake just take foot completely off pedal.