running in tow/haul mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
does run in tow/haul mode all the time.irun in that mode with my edge programer all time I find it shuts off the mds. hopefully staving off litter failure

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
does run in tow/haul mode all the time.irun in that mode with my edge programer all time I find it shuts off the mds. hopefully staving off litter failure

I use tow haul quite a bit due to a slight, but steady average 5% mountain grade on our highway. It turns off the MDS and keeps the truck in the lower gears longer. Within 18 miles of my home the elevation gain is 5,000 feet, all of it being an uphill climb. There's no leveling out. Overall it climbs 6,500 feet to the 11,000 feet summit and its immediately back down the same elevation.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
No, unless you’re driving up a lot of hills it’s a gas mileage killer. Your RPMs are much higher, and it locks out 6th gear.

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I almost always leave it in tow/haul.

Love the higher RPM range and firmer shifts.
And can't stand the MDS at all, especially with the Magnaflow.

Does using MDS accentuate the cam failure?
I thought that has been debunked.
Somebody chime in on this!

Cheers

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I run in tow haul a lot, but I agree it cuts about 3-4 mpg on mine.

UTAHPWRWGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Better off using the "hold gear" option on the steering wheel and manually selecting 8. Truck shifts normally but MDS is inactive. I'm getting 12 mpg with the 39's in very mixed driving (town, hwy, offroad, some towing).

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Living in the mtns, I usually run the tow-haul/manual shift modes, seems to down/up-shift in and out of the curves just right! Combined with the pedal commander it`s an awesome combo!

Tow-haul does tend to use more gas, if I lived down the hill on flat terrain I would probably NOT use it in order to gain some gas mileage.

OP
OP
4xdad

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
when you bought was fuel economy a thing wasn't for me.if I wanted a smaller more fuel efficient truck there lots to choose from .I have watch video on you tube they suggest that the ads starves the lifters for oil I don't know if its true but the evidence they present seems to back it up and make sense

OP
OP
4xdad

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
for the most part Alberta is as flat as **** on a plate I will pay a little more for fuel just to keep my truck healthier