Runs for 5 seconds after filter change, then stops.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kmine24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Diesel
I changed my front fuel filter on my 2015 6.7L, forgot to prime 3 times, tried to start multiple times and just cranked over. Remembered that I needed to prime it three times which I did, and everytime I do it, it runs for 5 seconds, then quits. Did I get air in the injector lines?

I need urgent help, I'm in California and need to be in San Antonio Texas to help my daughter move.

Sur5er

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Short answer, sounds like it! Gently crack the injector line nuts 3/4 turn on those you can reach. Crank over the engine for 5-10 seconds. That should purge the lines and the engine may even start. Shut it down, tighten the lines, restart and take it for a spin.

OP
OP
K

Kmine24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Diesel
Thank you! Is there a way to get to those nuts? They are at an angle? Kind of hard to get to also.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thank you! Is there a way to get to those nuts? They are at an angle? Kind of hard to get to also.
Please do not break the fuel lines loose at the cylinder head. Cranking fuel pressure to start the engine is a minimum of 1700psi and then it ramps up.

Remove the fuel filter cap and fill the filter housing with fuel and then reinstall the cap. Bump the engine over to get the lift pump to run and prime the system. Then, crank it to start. It will run from there.

The high side fuel pressure is very dangerous and can be extremely harmful to your health.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Like stated you DO NOT open the injector lines on a common rail for air intrusion.
Is there more to this story? Were you already having issues? Did you replace it with a Mopar element? Did you replace the O-ring seals? Did you drain it before removing the old one?
I hope you're up and running.