Rust 2013 - Fix or Trade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RocketFoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So yeah, as the title states, I have some rust popping up on my 2013. It is above the rear wheels and a little worse on the left side. I took it to a body shop guy and he said that the bed had a reinforcement above the rear wheels and it tends to hold dirt, mud and salt. He estimated over $5000 to repair correctly by replacing both bed sides and reinforcements! I am getting a second opinion but this estimate is awfuly scary! $5000 + for a truck that is almost 10 years old? Should I even fix it or try to trade it off before the rust gets out of hand?

Here are a couple pics of the LH rust bubbles...
IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

Here is the rest of the unmolested truck!
20190629_175905-tiltshift.jpg

OP
OP
RocketFoot

RocketFoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am thinking about those stainless steel fender trim pieces to hide the rust (after I atempt ti fix it and coat it of course) but it seems to me that those trim pieces would collect and hold even more salt and debris against the fender?? Bad idea!

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does that small spot really bother you enough to pay $5000? If the rest of the truck is solid and still runs/drives like it should I wouldn’t even worry about a spot that small. If your that set on fixing it you could sand it down and put por15 over it then a topcoat, not going to be perfect and the rust will come back in a few years but sure beats $5000 on just a tiny cosmetic issue.

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am thinking about those stainless steel fender trim pieces to hide the rust (after I atempt ti fix it and coat it of course) but it seems to me that those trim pieces would collect and hold even more salt and debris against the fender?? Bad idea!
Any type of fender flare will trap debris and promote rust. If they go up high enough they will also rub against the metal and rub through the paint causing discoloration which creates another cosmetic issue should you decide to take them back off.

Rlaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its a rotten shame the way the fenders rust out on the bed. They all do it. There is a huge brace in there that traps dirt. Convenient. I would try another shop and see if you can get a better price on the repair.

Rlaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh, one more thing. Great looking ride Rocket Foot.

Elvira

Reaction score
That does seem like a lot of money to fix what you have shown us in pictures. Does it actually need both complete box sides, that seems excessive. The price of trucks and the shape yours is in, i would try to find a repair shop equally qualified for less money to do the repair. If the repair lasts only 2 or 3 years, that is 2 or 3 years you get to enjoy your Ram more and giving you time to decide on any investment for something else. Maybe in a few years look for a complete box, used, that is great condition and then painting to match. Personally, i would fix it before spending 10's of thousands on another vehicle.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Anothe school of thought, do nothing for now. If it gets bad enough, most likely it will, replace the bed with a clean one from a wreck. Have it painted and install.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just get a rust free bed and replace the bed, there are or at least were a few places around where you live that had take off beds.
It's possible covid closed them all though.
If not used is about 1500-2500 dollars depending.
car-part.com

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I would invest in a set of body color factory flares like on the larmine. Pop them on and ride it out till I could find a replacement bed instead of repairs. The flares and paint will set you back probably $500, if you source the flares used, they use the factory holes and double sided Tape.

Treat the spots with rust treatment , fluid film the bed inner sides

Should give you a few more years.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I stopped at the one place I know of in southwestern Pa and they had Ram beds that looked like new takeoffs.
Only one problem, all they have are the long beds - which he says are the 8' beds but I didn't look closely.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio