Rust in Diesel Fuel Filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jjmcgarvey36b

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Dealer wanted $300 to change my fuel filters in my 2018 2500 (6.7l diesel) so I decided to do it myself. I watched the you tube videos and everyone remarked how clean the filters were after 15k miles. So I was surprised when I looked at mine. I did the rear filter first and found what looked like rust (see picture). The front filter was also dirty (see picture). This was at 14,210 miles. I bought the truck new and the filters have never been changed before. Can anyone tell me what may have caused this and what i can do about it???? I paid over $50k for this truck and don't want to have to take a big loss. A smartass friend said I should've bought a ford Rear Filter.jpg
Front filter.jpg

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Front filter looks normal to me. The rear one definitely has something going on there. Has to be the fuel you are using though, not an issue with the truck. Maybe got a tank or 2 with some water in it or just dirty fuel. Mine have always come out pretty clean.

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it. The filters are doing their job. Maybe check that rear one again in a few thousand miles and see what it looks like? You may still have some crap in your tank?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Clearly an indication of water in the fuel or condensation in the tank.

I'd consider running an external fuel filter/water separator kit.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
As stated above, it's probably due to local fuel conditions. I've seen pictures of some EcoD filters that have come out black due to various asphaltene content in the fuel.

OP
OP
Jjmcgarvey36b

Jjmcgarvey36b

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks for the replies, I feel a little more comfortable now.

As for a water/fuel separator, any recommendations? Also, is there an easier way to get to the rear filter? I put the truck on a lift, but I have to reach around the exhaust and drive shaft.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Everyone ******* about that rear filter and it's just a PITA for all Cummins owners.

The aftermarket kits mount in an area that has better access making filter changes, and water separator draining, much easier to complete.

There are a lot of kits out there that can work. Some are "universal", some are fuel/air separator kits (a good thing to consider) and most are dual filter with one setup with a drain. FASS, TRC, AirDog, FlowMax are good kits to look at.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Everyone ******* about that rear filter and it's just a PITA for all Cummins owners.

The aftermarket kits mount in an area that has better access making filter changes, and water separator draining, much easier to complete.

There are a lot of kits out there that can work. Some are "universal", some are fuel/air separator kits (a good thing to consider) and most are dual filter with one setup with a drain. FASS, TRC, AirDog, FlowMax are good kits to look at.

A lot of the kits I have seen made to fit the 4th gens (not the universals) seem to mount right where the current water separator is. Separator stays in the same place they just add a filter in line with it. Only real benefit I see there is you can use the cheaper Cat filters? And it can be a pain to get the cap off the engine compartment filter housing.

13cummins_kit.jpg

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
JMC: where are you filling up 3/4 of the time?

My only advice would be: Fueling up at a local Truck Stop - That has alot of Diesel traffic!
Still that's not the perfect fix solution.
You could easy have horrid timing & fuel up when the tanks are at their lowest level & suck up water & all kinds of fungus!

I always add a Emulsifier fuel additive that will help pass any small amount of water through the entire fuel system - also as it flows through the entire fuel system applies a thin layer of protection which will protect against any type of corrosion/rust. ----->Only added for preventative maintenance & piece of mind!

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve personally seen a shell and chevron closed due to water contamination in their fuel. Definitely try a different fuel station than the one you normally use

Last edited:

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
normal. dont buy a ford. i had a powerjoke in the 90s

total garbage. cost more than my mortgage payment to keep that junk f250 on the road.

cheers!

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
As stated - you have water in your fuel. Good job on asking about it so you can take corrective action now before you wind up with rusty fuel lines, and damaged injectors or worse. I've seen many insurance claims presented for this and it's not covered under most insurance policies because rust is a long term condition.

Do you treat your diesel? If you don't you should.

How often do you run this truck? As suggested I'd look for another place to buy fuel from. Good luck

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
normal. dont buy a ford. i had a powerjoke in the 90s

total garbage. cost more than my mortgage payment to keep that junk f250 on the road.

cheers!

And if you thought yours was bad...be very glad you didn't have one with the 6.0. Now that was/is a complete disaster

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ I personally feel the 6.4 was more of a disaster than the 6.0 lol

cash4acres

4lb pompano
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L,660ftLbs=G56 Manual 6 speed
210k miles on 2015 Ram 2500 6.7L & G56 6 speed. I'm at 10,200lbs and get 27 to 33mpgs with my delete and Stock Program. No HP increase.
Oil stays clean till about 6000miles and then I change it at 10,000.
Air filter KN cleaned at 10k. All other oils & filters changed at 33,000, trans, Def, Fuel Filters, Power Steering, Transfer case. The DOT3 I change every 100k