Rust spot? Fix it? Or trade it in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Repost Police

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a spot exactly like this in my pass side rear wheel well. I will be sanding and painting it the best I can. My truck is a 13, not worth spending 1k on that little spot. I haul stuff in it, use it for home projects, etc, so it's seen it's fair share of nick and scratches but still looks super clean when I take the time to detail it. Anything I do will look better than it currently does so it's really a no lose situation for me. Your spot looks pretty similar.

OP
OP
C

Casey Bleu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a spot exactly like this in my pass side rear wheel well. I will be sanding and painting it the best I can. My truck is a 13, not worth spending 1k on that little spot. I haul stuff in it, use it for home projects, etc, so it's seen it's fair share of nick and scratches but still looks super clean when I take the time to detail it. Anything I do will look better than it currently does so it's really a no lose situation for me. Your spot looks pretty similar.
I bought all these products, and a buffer, sandpaper in varying grits, the paint pen - tomorrow im going to try and do a diy fix!20220509_153800.jpg

Attachments

• 20220509_153754.jpg
    20220509_153754.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 4

IdahoRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Be careful as you sand it. You can roll metal over top of rust. Then it comes back with a vengeance. Eastwood has some pretty good products for Rust and Repainting. Try to look at a lot of 2014's in Red to see if this is a common issue. Some years have severe issues above the fender wells. 9 out of 10 times the rust comes from the back and is totally rusted when you get into it. Around here the beds on 3/4 ton and up are replaced with flatbeds so you can find new/used beds in most colors.

OP
OP
C

Casey Bleu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Be careful as you sand it. You can roll metal over top of rust. Then it comes back with a vengeance. Eastwood has some pretty good products for Rust and Repainting. Try to look at a lot of 2014's in Red to see if this is a common issue. Some years have severe issues above the fender wells. 9 out of 10 times the rust comes from the back and is totally rusted when you get into it. Around here the beds on 3/4 ton and up are replaced with flatbeds so you can find new/used beds in most colors.
I hope in september when Ill be getting enough $$ to pay off my loan, I can take it into the shop and get a new back panel, possibly a whole respray!

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I own a 2014 Ram 1500, Big horn 5.7L

(back story)

Overall its in great shape! The performance is amazing! I always get compliments on how beautiful my truck is from strangers, and family. Pretty good gas mileage as well, Never had any issues with the mechanics ( altho when it gets really cold the digital speedometer and info center blacks out ( The dealer has "fixed" this multiple times but they claim its an issue with the 2014 models? - I am looking into purchasing new all weather tires for the next winter, But my tires now are good now. I have around 95 000 KMS, I drive less than 5k per year, I purchased the truck in the 80's a few years back.

I am financing the truck, My term is over in 2025. In total I will have paid about $26k for my truck

I have this small rust spot, That my dealer covered with paint pen - It just appeared after the last winter. ( It was flaking, I lifted the flake, and this is what it looks like )

I have went to every single auto body shop in my area, with drastically different prices. Some people say just use a paint pen, Some say they will sand it, and repaint, the dealers say they would replace the entire panel ( rear wheel, right panel )

The quotes range from $1000, for a sand and paint, all the way up $3000 for a full panel replacement, front bumper respray ( rock chips, normal wear n tear ) oil coating around wheel wells, and a full buff / scratch fix If they see any other minor scratches.

My question is, What would you do? So far my options are.

A) Sand down the spot, Dealer paint pen, Seal & buff ( I just bought an auto buffer ) A quick fix until I'm ready to put up $3k

B) $1000 for a shop to do the same thing.

C) $3000 for a local dealer to completely replace the back panel, respray the front bumper, & oil coat

D) Get a trade in appraisal and look for another vehicle.

If I traded in my truck, After looking online it seems like used truck prices are really high? If I wanted something similar, I would be looking at around $35k - Even if I put in $3k, My total price would be $29k.

Hoping to get opinion's from people who have done this before, Trying to weigh all my options!!

Thank you, If you have any advice that I have not considered - Please let me know.
Definitely sand it but the rust is inside coming out. You may never completely fix it. Especially if you live up north. You may need a panel to fix it right

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As mentioned above, it has been my experience that once it starts to rust in Canada with the crap they put on the roads, sanding and painting is a waste of time.

Been there done that, one winter and it will be rusting through again. The only fix is to cut out all the rust and weld in new metal or replace the entire panel. It is not cheap.

Look into Krown coating or something similar to protect your truck from our harsh winters.

Elvira

Reaction score
I own a 2014 Ram 1500, Big horn 5.7L

(back story)

Overall its in great shape! The performance is amazing! I always get compliments on how beautiful my truck is from strangers, and family. Pretty good gas mileage as well, Never had any issues with the mechanics ( altho when it gets really cold the digital speedometer and info center blacks out ( The dealer has "fixed" this multiple times but they claim its an issue with the 2014 models? - I am looking into purchasing new all weather tires for the next winter, But my tires now are good now. I have around 95 000 KMS, I drive less than 5k per year, I purchased the truck in the 80's a few years back.
I have been through this before with other vehicles, rust is always an enemy. Your truck appears to be very nice condition, mechanically you say it works great. The prices they are asking for vehicles, I suggest you fixing and keeping, at least till well after is is paid for. Replacing the whole panel seems a bit excessive, if you can find a reputable body shop, even the dealer if they are good...go that route. Definitely have it sprayed with rust protection afterwards too.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Two words: fender flares
Then sell it. Worked for me.
Actually, I think this is the best advice. That area just above the lip of the fender on 4th gens has probably rusted from the inside and starting to work its way through the paint. That area, about an inch and a half upwards, is trapped from behind. Air turbulence drags sand up behind the panel where it acts to 'sand' away the inside coating. Undercoatings can't get up there easily unless the inner fender is removed.

A proper fix is going to be expensive, and around here few body shops will work on rust repairs. Fender flares are easy to paint and easy to install.

Good luck.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 69611 miles

MantaRay67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As awesome as that vehicle is... do the repair yourself and keep lovin' it!

Chuck962500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMG_20220814_055337.jpgshoot the whole thing in raptor liner no chips rust or scratches ever again

Freakydude

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I would if this is my truck
go about 4" away all side and tape it off.
Sand to bare metal. 80 grit will
primer with rust protective paint ie something that guards against rust. Fibreglass body fill if needed then glazing putty to flatten it out. sand to 600 grit.
remove tape and replace back to about 5" inches away. Go to Canadian tire and get some color match paint to your truck color spray away at least 6" away from truck. let dry a couple days, remove tape, Compound cut the area to bland and feather the colors, polish and wax.
Should be good for a couple years. Total cost probably 50 bucks.