S&B Intake 6.4 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

W5RCD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I put one on my 2014 2500 6.4 Hemi. Also, a 4" cat back exhaust. I can't say it really increased my performance, but it did my fuel economy. I won't give any figures because trolls will start causing trouble. But, if I had it to do again, this intake and exhaust would be the first things I would do. I did to with the oiled filter.

OP
OP
Ramrodd

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just towed with it today and it sounds great. I’m pretty sure I’m getting better fuel mileage than before too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Update on my S&B intake. I've had one small problem, a couple of times, the conical filter fell off the tube, just reinstalled. From a performance perspective, it definitely runs better and tows better with the side plug in place, sounds better open, but performs way better closed.

About tree fiddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Intakes are a waste of money unless you're going to also increase the exhaust side (headers and back). Even then the increase is negligible and could potentially harm your engine. Letting more air into the engine means the filter won't filter as much.

These trucks are expensive, and it would be a shame to introduce variables that can potentially impact the reliability of the engine in the long run for a few horse power.

Would not mess with the engine in these trucks, specially if you use it to tow/haul stuff like me.

But that's probably the 40 year old in me talking. I was heavily into the GM LS engine scene back in the day and learned alot about modifications, what works and what doesn't.

Towing with a loud truck would get annoying real quick, But good luck with whatever you decide.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Intakes are a waste of money unless you're going to also increase the exhaust side (headers and back). Even then the increase is negligible and could potentially harm your engine. Letting more air into the engine means the filter won't filter as much.

These trucks are expensive, and it would be a shame to introduce variables that can potentially impact the reliability of the engine in the long run for a few horse power.

Would not mess with the engine in these trucks, specially if you use it to tow/haul stuff like me.

But that's probably the 40 year old in me talking. I was heavily into the GM LS engine scene back in the day and learned alot about modifications, what works and what doesn't.

Towing with a loud truck would get annoying real quick, But good luck with whatever you decide.

Not going to hurt anything. Modern engines are throttle by wire. AFR is ECU controlled. You can put all the air you want in front that of that throttle body, the computer is only going to allow so much through since it's metered. If you want to take advantage of more air in, or more air out, you'll need tuning to do so since that is going to effect the fuel map.

It's interesting to watch throttle position in modern vehicles. Apps like TorquePro will let you monitor throttle position. You can floor it, but the throttle body is only opening to 60-80%, then dropping down to 50% and fluctuating up as needed to maintain a specific AFR throughout the RPM range and fuel map.

About tree fiddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not going to hurt anything. Modern engines are throttle by wire. AFR is ECU controlled. You can put all the air you want in front that of that throttle body, the computer is only going to allow so much through since it's metered. If you want to take advantage of more air in, or more air out, you'll need tuning to do so since that is going to effect the fuel map.

It's interesting to watch throttle position in modern vehicles. Apps like TorquePro will let you monitor throttle position. You can floor it, but the throttle body is only opening to 60-80%, then dropping down to 50% and fluctuating up as needed to maintain a specific AFR throughout the RPM range and fuel map.

Very true. Also the more free flowing filters will let more dirt into the engine.

ConsecVINs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive run S&B on a ton of vehicles and really liked them. The fit and finish on this was not as good as in the past in my opinion on my other vehicles. I keep finding the cover popped off on my black one. I added the pre filter or cover as well. Remaining factory with the other truck for now. Look up project farm on youtube and that guy will change your mind on high flow filters amongst other things.

Attachments

• s&b.jpg
    s&b.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 1

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Ive run S&B on a ton of vehicles and really liked them. The fit and finish on this was not as good as in the past in my opinion on my other vehicles. I keep finding the cover popped off on my black one. I added the pre filter or cover as well. Remaining factory with the other truck for now. Look up project farm on youtube and that guy will change your mind on high flow filters amongst other things.
My cover did the same thing, so I reported it to S&B. One of their reps emailed me with a question, and immediately mailed me a new lid, excellent customer service! New lid is a perfect fit.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Very true. Also the more free flowing filters will let more dirt into the engine.
Must not let a bunch of dirt in cause I have used K&N on my last 3 vehicles. All traded with over 100k on them with NO oil consumption. Are they worth the money, absolutely not. But they look & sound cool. Just like exhaust, does it REALLY gain you much HP & save fuel? No not for the money. But again, looks & sounds cool!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
fyi - it's not about increasing airflow - it's about reducing flow loss. Power is picked up by reducing parasitic pumping losses.

- Your Local, Friendly, Mechanical Engineer

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Must not let a bunch of dirt in cause I have used K&N on my last 3 vehicles. All traded with over 100k on them with NO oil consumption. Are they worth the money, absolutely not. But they look & sound cool. Just like exhaust, does it REALLY gain you much HP & save fuel? No not for the money. But again, looks & sounds cool!

My '12 Rubicon JKR has had a K&N (filter only) in since day one. 130k miles later and it's still running perfectly fine. I also get Blackstone oil tests done every oil change. I've never seen an elevated level of any contaminant. Typically you'd see silicon if it was letting any appreciable amount of dirt past it.

That Jeep has been through some nasty, dusty, dirty off-road environments it's entire life. I like that I can clean the filter and toss it back in whenever needed.

ConsecVINs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know my truth to quote Vince Vaughn if you have watched. We will all have different experiences per location. Where I live now is very dusty and sandy. In the metro area not so much. I would probably have a product that suited by location and driving vs highest flow.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I know my truth to quote Vince Vaughn if you have watched. We will all have different experiences per location. Where I live now is very dusty and sandy. In the metro area not so much. I would probably have a product that suited by location and driving vs highest flow.

Yes, well, flow rate and efficiency do not have to be mutually exclusive. Efficiency is promoted by smaller, consistent openings in the media, while flow rate is promoted by the amount of media = larger area. Machine-woven synthetic fiber provides best efficiency, while big sheets with lots of pleats provide high flow rate.

We worked on this stuff all the time with air filtration of big power gen engines........3,000 horsepower worth.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

I can hear this happening with my 21 5.7 say when flooring it to get on a highway. It will go wide open then back off a bit then get that distinct wide open hemi tone again.
Didn't seem to happen with my 06 or maybe I didn't notice it as much.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I can hear this happening with my 21 5.7 say when flooring it to get on a highway. It will go wide open then back off a bit then get that distinct wide open hemi tone again.
Didn't seem to happen with my 06 or maybe I didn't notice it as much.

Yup - no direct mechanical connections anymore. It's all fly-by-wire, as the 1st adopters of this technology were called (Air Force Fighter Jets).