Safe bug and tar remover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking for something available in most stores that's safe on both paint and chrome. A friend suggested Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover but I see mixed reviews online.

daggertats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Engine
i used the turtle wax bug and tar remover before with no issues. just be sure after you use it to wash and wax the area

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
WD40 for tar, to start the bug cleanup before hitting the car wash, soak them in glass cleaner.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Invisible Glass Foam. Spray it on and let it sit for a minute or two then wipe off. A really good coat of wax also helps keep the bugs from sticking on the paint.
Jay

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
duplicate post

Last edited:

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use griots garage bug remover and it works really well. I didn't like the turtle wax because it seemed silicone based. I could be wrong but that made it difficult to get a good sudsing wash on the area even after it had been hosed and cleaned off thoroughly.

Griots also makes a product called bug brigade that is designed to spray on the front of your vehicle to create a barrier. I use that before road trips. The bugs basically just hose right off. I actually don't even use a bug/tar remover after road trips if I pre treated with bug brigade. I don't use it every wash tho like I said only before road trips.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
None of these will be safe if you don't wash immediately after.

hardcore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Kerosene diluted with distilled water is what I use.

RedRam20s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Goof off IMO is a terrible idea. I used it on my old truck when I was debadging to help get a small area of the adhesive off - it made that area of my clear coat dull.

I use the turtle wax stuff, but I can see what one of the guys is saying about it being hard to get good suds in that area. Maybe time to try a different type.

eastern sierras

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have found fabric softner dryer sheets work great for bug removal. By the cheap ones get them wet, hose down the truck and rub them off with the dryer sheet. Yes, it does sound crazy, or at least I thought so. The guy that told me to do that is a chemist. I works great.

TheAmbassador

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm a care detailer and I only use Tarminator by Stoner. Leave it on for about a minute and pressure wash it off or just use a brush and lightly go over it with some water. I've used Turtle Wax's Tar and Bug remover before and that is what I used to use before I found Tarminator, but ultimately Tarminator is the way to go. It has the consistency of Brake Cleaner...infact it may just be Brake Cleaner but I feel safer and more secure just using the Tarminator.