Safe to drive long distance with Shutter Assembly issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deacon22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn. 38,000 miles. Been in the dealer 7 times since I bought it. Think I got a lemon.
Last week I picked up the car which had a crack in the heat box. They took apart the dash and replaced the box. That night there was a storm, mainly ice. When I started the car, The CEL came on. I took the car to autozone and they said it was U11E9 Replace Active shutter grill assembly. Last year I had to replace the air dam after an ice storm.
I called the dealer. Haven’t heard back from them. Looked on line. No appointments till March.

My questions are 1) is the CEL for this covered under the power train warranty?
2) I need to go to NC for the weekend. About 1500 miles round trip. Is it ok to drive this truck with this issue?

Thanks for the help.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Covered, not likely unless you have an extended service contract.

IF the shutters are stuck open - you are good to go.
If they are STUCK closed - not good to go.

It's possible that the ice knocked one or more out of place and they aren't able to move.

How handy are you with tools or looking at stuff? You can either check the shutters, pull some or the whole assembly out (for the trip, though the CEL will be on) or possibly even fix the shutter if it is a simple fix.

OP
OP
D

Deacon22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not too handy. I looked at YouTube and think I’m going to have to bring it in.
I took a look. As far as I can tell it looks like it’s open. I can see through the grill. I tried taking a pic but not sure it would help.
Any chance this was done by them when they took apart the ac?

Attachments

• 5D6B70BF-FB74-4CB6-83A6-53B0974473F3.jpeg
    5D6B70BF-FB74-4CB6-83A6-53B0974473F3.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 2559AB75-82AA-49CC-B2CD-BD7E5532850B.jpeg
    2559AB75-82AA-49CC-B2CD-BD7E5532850B.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 21

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Can you do this?
Once the grille is off, the shutters are right there.

Doubtful on the AC repair but it depends on what was done - if they replaced the condensor, maybe.

OP
OP
D

Deacon22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Covered, not likely unless you have an extended service contract.

IF the shutters are stuck open - you are good to go.
If they are STUCK closed - not good to go.

It's possible that the ice knocked one or more out of place and they aren't able to move.

How handy are you with tools or looking at stuff? You can either check the shutters, pull some or the whole assembly out (for the trip, though the CEL will be on) or possibly even fix the shutter if it is a simple fix.

Can you do this?
Once the grille is off, the shutters are right there.

Doubtful on the AC repair but it depends on what was done - if they replaced the condensor, maybe.
Maybe. Probably could get somebody to do it for me. When I look through the grill I can see the condenser so I imagine the shutter is open. Hate to head to NC and screw up something.
Nothing but bad luck with this truck the last two years. This isn’t the first time. Had the air dam replaced last year.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If nothing else, if they are open, just unplug the motor so they can't shut.
They maybe ok or stuck open.
I think the 4th gen would be open and then close when you start the truck. You can have someone start it while looking in with a flashlight and see if they move and move smoothly.
Did you clear the CEL and see if it comes back?

If you didn't, it's possible that the ice kept them from moving fully closed / fully open and threw the CEL and that is may be ok now.

The air dam could get damaged in an ice storm, it hangs down in the mess from other vehicles or built up ice/snow on the driving surface. That damage is quite understandable, depending on the circumstances.

OP
OP
D

Deacon22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It was cleared and came back on about 80 miles later. There’s no more ice. I’ll take a look and have someone start the car for me.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What were your temps right before the CEL came on, during and after the CEL came on?

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
letter from Ram:

This letter is to inform you that the warranty period for your vehicle's Active Air Dam has been extended - to 8 years / unlimited miles for vehicles already out of the warranty period. This warranty extension on

the Active Air Dam applies to certain 2019 Ram 1500 Pickup vehicles. Our records show that you either own or lease one of the vehicles affected by this warranty extension.

We are extending the warranty period on the Active Air Dam because some of the vehicles within the above referenced population may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination due to water intrusion into the motor circuit. If you are experiencing this condition now, or if you experience them in the future, simply contact your dealer to have the appropriate repairs performed.

Conversely, if you do not experience this condition, then your Active Air Dam is operating

correctly and no repair is necessary.

If you have already experienced this condition and previously paid for a repair, you may be eligible to receive a reimbursement. Visit www.fcarecallreimbursement.com to submit an online reimbursement request. You may also complete the enclosed Customer Reimbursement Claim Form and send your original receipts, invoices and/or repair order to the following address for reimbursement. Your claim will be acted upon within 60 days of receipt:

FCA US LLC Customer Center​

P.O. Box 21-8004 Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004

Attn: Reimbursement

If you have questions or need any assistance, please contact your dealer or the FCA US LLC Customer Care. FCA US LLC Customer Care is available 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. They can be reached at: 1-866-726-4636 or 1-866-RAM-INFO.

Please keep this letter in your glove box along with your vehicle's other warranty information for future reference if necessary. This warranty extension applies only to the Active Air Dam condition described above; the other terms and the "What's Not Covered" items of your warranty remain the same as stated in your Warranty Information book.

FCA US LLC is taking this action to demonstrate its commitment to your continued satisfaction