Safety recall # y78/nhtsa21v-880

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill 08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all
This is my first post since joining the forum . I just received the above recall on my 2020 ram 2500 Laramie 4 wd 6.7 dsl , which is a premature failure of high pressure fuel pump . My question is has any one had this high pressure fuel pump fail .FCA / Ram has no idea when parts will be available to fix potential problem , your responses will be appreciated.
Thanks Bill

Jackricci

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Both mine and my Son’s 2020 Rams failed…mine has been at the dealer for 5 weeks and my Son’s 10 weeks. No ETA on parts. The official FCA website says they should start arriving at dealers March 29! The worst part is that neither of us were given a loaner, the dealers said they don’t do that anymore! So we both have rented cars and have been fighting with Ram Customer Care..they won’t approve reimbursement. Very disappointed in FCA customer service.

OP
OP
B

Bill 08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will be contacting Ram customer care and the Ram dealership that sold the vehicle to me, hopefully this issue will be solved in a timely manner.

EJRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
This is my first post to the Forum. I just received the Recall notice. Have 21,000 miles on 2500 Lone Star Crew Cab used for RVing. Was told no remedy in sight; will go to the dealer tomorrow. Have not had any issues yet. Looking for options.

Gary Hogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I received the recall notice on my 2019 3500. Hasn’t failed yet. I’m told no parts yet, basically just cross your fingers.

Morey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Does anyone have an idea what they’ll be replacing it with?

Hopefully on the C3 platform

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
It is a CP3 variant, like they should have stuck with in the first place, but it is not identical to the '21+ pump, because it is designed for this retrofit situation.

Morey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
It is a CP3 variant, like they should have stuck with in the first place, but it is not identical to the '21+ pump, because it is designed for this retrofit situation.
Thanks. Ram assured me I would be reimbursed so I’m going with the S&S upgraded CP3

vlamgat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am surprised that a site like this should be so poorly endowed with knowledgeable contributors. I have learned the following from a number of resources:
The problem with the CP$ has been around since 2016. There are Class Action Law suits on going from Duramax and PSD owners as well as Cummins operators of Class A and Super C RVs and a number of commercial fleets.

The NHSA has been pressured to allow for a work around but since there are no spares available of replacement CP4 (faulty or not) and adapted CP3 HPFPs, nothing has been released. The incidence is quite low, affecting between 3 and 5% of the fleets. The cause of the failure is unknown but the speculation is that the diesel supply has changed since the CP$ was spec'd in 2015 and lack the lubricity that was assumed during the design. So one offset may be the enhanced use of lubricity additives but no one has proved to this yet and no one I have heard on is even attempting to do so.

Based on the problems faced by the Duramax and PSD owners, it is doubtful that Stellantis, RAM or Cummins will have replacements engineered, tested, manufactured or delivered in 2022. A manufacturer of gasket material for these and other pumps has been pressuring his customer folks to get commitments for the apparently "urgent" need to fulfill CP3+ orders, is getting no response, no indication even as to when capacity to make material for these replacement pumps.

So my perspective is to sell the truck to whoever, whenever; park it and lease something else, or see if you can find a dealer that will trade it on a new model. No one knows how, when or even whether this problem will be fixed given the supply chain issues and the impact the Ukraine war is having on European diesel components used by these pumps.

RoosterR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is my first post to the Forum. I just received the Recall notice. Have 21,000 miles on 2500 Lone Star Crew Cab used for RVing. Was told no remedy in sight; will go to the dealer tomorrow. Have not had any issues yet. Looking for options.
Talked to FMC today. Part should be distributed May 10

RoosterR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I talked to FCM today. May 10 they will have part ready to ship May 10 now. Was April 20

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Just keep driving.
If it goes, let Ram worry about it. They will be on the hook for a new engine.

vlamgat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just keep driving.
If it goes, let Ram worry about it. They will be on the hook for a new engine.
In theory but only after a court case. Like all the OEMs, they defend themselves at all costs to avoid a precedent until its quite clear they cannot win/redeem their "sins". Look at VW to understand how far they are prepared to go. Last amount I saw was an eventual cost of $20B. At best we can expect a replacement pump and its installation at a time and place that suits the supply chain because clearly if our choice of dealer does not have and cannot get the parts, we sit.

Everything I have heard says that the info RoosterR received is BS. The Ford and Duramax pump replacements have not started yet and their process is about 2 years ahead of FCA. Meantime I agree - drive it till it breaks.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I don't remember the Recall Notice saying to immediately cease running the trucks.
So, it will be Ram's problem under warranty.
Now, it sure would be a hassle if the engine goes, but I would cross that bridge when I have to.

RoosterR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just talked to a dealer in Montana today and they said they are getting 2 pumps in a week. They have a list about a month out already to get the truck in. Average time is 5 hrs to change pump.

Curiousdriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel cummins
Hello, I am new here and I had my 2020 ram 5500 CP4 fail and destroyed my entire fuel system. The vehicle was in the shop for 3 weeks and was not repaired correctly. It was then in another shop for 2 weeks but anyway. After this repair with them going to the cp3.3 pump. I have noticed a huge reduction in fuel mileage. Average reduction being 20% but up to 25% towing. From tons of reading on this, I have found the cp3.3 has about a 20% higher volume than the cp4.2 and less pressure. Do any of you technical people out here know why or how this is going on. Would anyone happen to have a dyno comparison before and after repair? This “fix” for the y78 does not sit well with me.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Hello, I am new here and I had my 2020 ram 5500 CP4 fail and destroyed my entire fuel system. The vehicle was in the shop for 3 weeks and was not repaired correctly. It was then in another shop for 2 weeks but anyway. After this repair with them going to the cp3.3 pump. I have noticed a huge reduction in fuel mileage. Average reduction being 20% but up to 25% towing. From tons of reading on this, I have found the cp3.3 has about a 20% higher volume than the cp4.2 and less pressure. Do any of you technical people out here know why or how this is going on. Would anyone happen to have a dyno comparison before and after repair? This “fix” for the y78 does not sit well with me.
You can check with the guys at: https://www.cumminsforum.com/ or TDR forums