Same old question: Air Shocks or Air Bags?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WRX03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I will most likely need air shocks or bags maybe a few times a year. What would be recommendations if:
1. Just want to pump them up using an external air compressor.
2. Want to just bolt them on easily w/o having to like drop the axle, move stuff, etc.
3. Cheap $. Why buy an expensive kit if I would rarely use it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
First off, air shocks are not for load support.
Given you want to go inexpensive, your looking at a set of AirLift 1000 in-coil air bags. Even for the HD version they'll be about $100 or less for the regular version.
To go with a set of bolt on frame to axle airbags, your probably looking above $300 unless you find a used set for sale. Air Lift and Timber Grove both offer bolt on kits.
Remember with the in-coil air bags need to be fully inflated before loading the vehicle.
Any of the load helper air bags can be filled manually with a bicycle pump or portable compressor and usually come with the valve stem, fittings and tubing.
Just a floor jack to lift the truck off the ground for clearance is needed for install aside from hand tools to attach the tubing and mounting bolts for the frame to axle versions.

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
^What he said^

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
I have the Timber Groves and love them. 7psi air and it rides good for normal driving. I use it to stabilize when towing. If I have a heavy load in the bed, then I air them up to ride better.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
I have the Timber Groves and love them. 7psi air and it rides good for normal driving. I use it to stabilize when towing. If I have a heavy load in the bed, then I air them up to ride better.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I went with the Firestone Bags. Right around $300 & was very easy to install. Similar to the bags that semi's use on the tractors & trailers. As stated above I put 5-10lbs. unloaded & add about 20lbs. with my air compressor at home before I hook up to my trailer.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Crash said it all very well.
Take note where he said, "Remember with the in-coil air bags need to be fully inflated before loading the vehicle."

If you inflate after you are loaded the in coil bags are ineffective as they will merely bulge out between the coils and you get zero lift/support.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Even if you only use them a few times a year remember you get what you pay for.
Cheap dont last over the long haul.

M4245

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie +2019 classic B.H.
Engine
Both 5.7
I will most likely need air shocks or bags maybe a few times a year. What would be recommendations if:
1. Just want to pump them up using an external air compressor.
2. Want to just bolt them on easily w/o having to like drop the axle, move stuff, etc.
3. Cheap $. Why buy an expensive kit if I would rarely use it.

rickjkline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Timber grove bags that I used while towing my TT that weighed 9k. I loved them in conjunction with the WD hitch. Sold the camper and then decided to remove them as they weren’t needed anymore (we won’t be camping next few years) so they sit on my work bench.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
First off, air shocks are not for load support.
Given you want to go inexpensive, your looking at a set of AirLift 1000 in-coil air bags. Even for the HD version they'll be about $100 or less for the regular version.
To go with a set of bolt on frame to axle airbags, your probably looking above $300 unless you find a used set for sale. Air Lift and Timber Grove both offer bolt on kits.
Remember with the in-coil air bags need to be fully inflated before loading the vehicle.
Any of the load helper air bags can be filled manually with a bicycle pump or portable compressor and usually come with the valve stem, fittings and tubing.
Just a floor jack to lift the truck off the ground for clearance is needed for install aside from hand tools to attach the tubing and mounting bolts for the frame to axle versions.
Agree, airbags don't help keep weight properly distributed if the issue is towing a trailer. They can actually decrease the responsiveness of your truck. Other than a slight elevation rise of the headlights, my family has towed dozens of different trailers hundreds of thousands of miles without an airbag. This video is a good one to watch.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Agree, airbags don't help keep weight properly distributed if the issue is towing a trailer. They can actually decrease the responsiveness of your truck. Other than a slight elevation rise of the headlights, my family has towed dozens of different trailers hundreds of thousands of miles without an airbag. This video is a good one to watch.

The OP doesn't mention anything about towing a trailer, just asked about the difference between air shocks vs airbags.
I've put enough weight in the bed of my truck to squat the rear, having airbags to level the truck works wonders for the headlights.
I've posted that link on this forum over a dozen times. It's not the airbags the cause the unresponsiveness but front to rear weight balance. Too much tongue weight or transferring too much weight to the front wheels can dramatically change how the truck handles

gears49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

It's a good video, however, it is addressing the use of air bags OR WD. One should be used to complement the other. On my 1500, if I use the just WD to get the truck to level, I get a very harsh, bouncy ride. The air bags supplement the WD bars to temper the ride.