Satellite radio just started crackling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, eTorque
I'm driving to work this morning and all of a sudden I get crackling from the speakers. I changed satellite stations and I get the same thing. When I switch to FM, AM, or Aux, the sound is perfectly clear. Anyone else having this issue? My truck is a month old. I guess the antenna could have gone bad although that seems unlikely.

I guess I will have to take it in if it doesn't clear up. No pun intended.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kidder

Kidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, eTorque
That stinks on a new truck. Wonder if the tuner is going bad maybe?

Well, I'm sure it can be fixed. I'm really digging my first Ram so I can accept that there will be a minor issues with the truck.

It has the 730N RHR radio, by the way.

Laramie1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Ram/2013 Charger R/T Super Trak Pak
Engine
5.2 (318ci)/5.7 (345)
I have heard of a few people having this issue and it's usually a bad receiver in the radio that causes that cackling. Take it back to Dodge and explain what's going on with it and they'll probably replace it for you...

OP
OP
Kidder

Kidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, eTorque
I have heard of a few people having this issue and it's usually a bad receiver in the radio that causes that cackling. Take it back to Dodge and explain what's going on with it and they'll probably replace it for you...

Thanks for the info. And, that's the route I will go.

OP
OP
Kidder

Kidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, eTorque
Decepticons...

You may be right. When I drove home everything was fine. So, I'm cleaning the AR-15 as we speak in preparation for the alien invasion.

Last edited:

Walleye

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same issue on Saturday. A friend of mine who works at Lockheed Martin and monitors their satellite communication said they had heightened "solar geomagnetic discharges" (his words) this weekend which also accounts for the great aurora borealis shows seen in Michigan. Today my radio was fine. Still, can't rule out Decepticons.

daggertats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Engine
that happened to me on sunday . i could also hear two different stations playin over each other. just thought the sirius was havinn issues since everything else worked and its fine now

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i have been listening to regular radio...i will have to switch to satellite on my way home today and see if it crackles.