Scotty Kilmer bashes 4th Gen Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Belmonte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You guys are all full of ship it. I don't say that this respectfully group but how many of you on her know that Chrysler Dodge knows that their engines are messed up the litters are getting jacked up and destroying the camshaft? You considered this a good truck when it company knows about it and continues to make the same part and use it knowing damwell that this is a problem and they refuse to address it

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You guys are all full of ship it. I don't say that this respectfully group but how many of you on her know that Chrysler Dodge knows that their engines are messed up the litters are getting jacked up and destroying the camshaft? You considered this a good truck when it company knows about it and continues to make the same part and use it knowing damwell that this is a problem and they refuse to address it
They dont fix it because it's cheaper to fix failure than r&d for new parts when there are bigger fish to fry. This is called running a business 101. Not to mention they are far from the only brand that has cam failure issues. Every engine made that had any sort of active fuel management has this issue. Every brand has its issues and anyone who thinks one is superior to another now days is a fool. Hell kia is probably the best car on the market now but 10 years ago you couldn't give me one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
MY 2012 has never had an issue with the hood not staying up--but it probably hasnt had to be opened and closed as often as say a Ford

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m running a 2011 with just about 200,000 km on it and only replaced practically the front end after lifting it 9”. Most of those parts came with the lift anyways and the other accept a couple, I replaced on my own to upgrade.
Shhcotty!

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
:welcome: to RamForum. Looking forward to seeing your Ram truck. Great group of friendly owners.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Some people Consumers Report comes to mind , have bad mouthed Chrysler for ever, mind you in the 70's some of the cars and bodies where not great, but I have never had any trouble until I bought a couple early 80's fords 1/2 ton, cheap straight 6 was good, but started using oil at 40k, traded off for a loaded XLT 351, nice truck, but a gutless wonder that burned gas like it had a hole in the tank. Back to dodge, imperials, etc. BTW Had a K car woody wagon with the Japanese motor in it , that car went 3 generations and was still good, till it got hit, buy a Chev of course

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
First post here Ha, And I thought my typing was bad, and you are full of it.
Different options are fine , but when you come off as a know it all smart ass, I have no time to be nice.

mlaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram and it is NOT a Dodge
Engine
3.6 v6 Pentastar Ram truck. Not a Dodge.
He is kind of a nut. I watch some of his vids just to hear him rant about stupid stuff. If it is not a Toyota its junk. He almost gets offensive they way he comes accross.

mlaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram and it is NOT a Dodge
Engine
3.6 v6 Pentastar Ram truck. Not a Dodge.
What is ship it?? Your spelling and punctuation is awful. Chrysler does have a few problems yes....... BUT so does Ford. Just for kicks I joined a Ford site just to see what I would find. Same type of complaints about engines and trannys and Dealerships you see about Chrysler. I love my Ram truck and don't KID yourself other manufactures have their problems too.

xFred12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The fords with the 5.4L engine have issues with the timing chain guides going bad, some fairly early. All depends on maintenance. this goes across several gens of f150, same engine. Ford never addressed it either. As others have said all brands have possible defects, and all failures will have diff. factors involved.

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The fords with the 5.4L engine have issues with the timing chain guides going bad, some fairly early. All depends on maintenance. this goes across several gens of f150, same engine. Ford never addressed it either. As others have said all brands have possible defects, and all failures will have diff. factors involved.

This is the truth. My 2010 5.4 sounded like the timing chain was coming apart at every cold start. While still under warranty they told me the rattle didn’t effect reliably or life so they wouldn’t touch it. I traded that off for a Ram in 2013 and have been with the brand ever since. I’m not a brand loyalist but Ram trucks have, and continue, to serve me well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That ******’ Scottie Kilmer’s a quack. I love it when Ram haters like referring that nutjob on Facebook. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ken jordan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would be happy if the only problem over the next 100K was a hood strut failure. SO far so good over 37K on my 5.7 1500. The discussion of the cam failure issue has me a little concerned. Some Porsches have a problem with IMS bearing failures which take the engine with them when they fail. Some of the risk can apparently be mitigated by frequent oil changes. I wonder of the same might apply to the Ram cam issue. Does anybody have a handle on why the cams are failing and what % of engines fail?

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would be happy if the only problem over the next 100K was a hood strut failure. SO far so good over 37K on my 5.7 1500. The discussion of the cam failure issue has me a little concerned. Some Porsches have a problem with IMS bearing failures which take the engine with them when they fail. Some of the risk can apparently be mitigated by frequent oil changes. I wonder of the same might apply to the Ram cam issue. Does anybody have a handle on why the cams are failing and what % of engines fail?
Good question, I’d like to know this as well.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
ford tech makuloco is the man. His videos have helped me fix my 2 ford Exploder's a few times. Provides actual help and isn't obnoxious like Scotty. In one video he explains how he is a Ford Tech and why he went with a Ram and not a Ford. Still, Doesn't bash on ford tho. Watch a scotty video and you'll come out more confused and may lose brain cells.

This is the thing that bugs me the most about watching wrenching videos is instead of giving useful instructions they feel the need to act like clowns instead.
When that starts up, I'm done. Sometimes a video will look interesting then their buddy will show up and they play grab ass for the rest of the video. No professionalism whatsoever.

Last edited: