SCRATCHES IN WINDSHIELD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have some scratches in my windshield, your finger nail does not get caught
but the do bother me that they are there. when I bought the truck the used car dealer
scraped off the price using a razor blade and now I have scratches, any idea how to remove them

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, they scratched it with a razor blade? They must have been using it like a pick axe or something, very weird.

If you have a buffer and polish try that first,. There are dedicated glass compounds and pads available for swirls in glass you can try if that doesn't work. Carpro Ceriglass is a good option along with their glass polishing pads. Lake Country also makes a good glass polishing pad.

The key to polishing glass is to make sure you aren't creating too much heat in one area so keep the polisher moving and don't dwell in one spot for too long. Stop frequently and touch the glass to see if it's getting hot and let it cool down a bit before starting back up again.

OP
OP
17HEMI

17HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I HAVE TRIED MY WHEEL AND POLISH N/G I WILL HAVE TO GET GLASS COMPOUNDS
THANKS

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I think it is 30* F, that is the most you want the glass temperature to rise.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
They sell glass repair kits that have crazy carbide 5000 grit sand paper and compounds and polished but I have always had luck with the cheaper headlight repair kit. Since you can’t get your finger nail to catch the edge you should be able to get away with a the headlight kit or a quick wet sand 3000 grit or above and then polish it out with meguires 201

JSMITH8505

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
It's possible to wet sand glass, but it takes very light pressure and extremely fine media and A LOT of patience. You start with 7000 grit, wet or with some kind of wax for lubrication. then 5000 wet/wax Then rubbing compound dry, then rubbing compound wet or lubricated, with very light pressure, then polishing compound.
Then lighter and lighter pressure until you get it smooth.
To be honest, by the time you get the necessary stuff, you're better off taking it to a shop that specializes in it. It'll cost about the same, and you wont end up with $100 of waxes and compounds you'll probably never use again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye