Sealant for almost anything!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
First off if this isn't in the right area please move it.

Anyways as the title says. Silicone is good and there are other products that are resistant to fuels and oils but I wanted to share with you guys a product that is used widely and for almost everything sealant wise on airplanes.
This stuff seals gas tanks, firewalls, is resistant to fuel, gas, oil, pretty much any heavy solvent out there. It's nasty stuff. I'm currently putting a fuel sump in my diesel and my tank is quite bowed so my sump may or may not seal. having used this stuff before I'm not worried with sealing aluminum to any sort of plastic so I'm gonna slather it up with this bolt it up and Not worry about it again.
The stuff is called PRC desoto. I'll post a link for it you can read the properties. It would probly seal poo to grease if you were brave enough.

Ps don't get it on you or you'll be stained for about three weeks.
You're welcome.

http://www.ppgaerospace.com/Products/Sealants.aspx

suns out guns out

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
1. Anyone that uses it, beware it smells like absolute $hit and the stench will stick with anything you get it on or near.

2. Theres a cure time, applying heat will spead up cure time. Not too much heat, but the data sheet should give guidance.

3. It's a 2-part sealant that NEEDS THOROUGH mixing. Too little hardener it will never cure, too much and it becomes brittle. Buy a "one time use" tube that has the correct mixture, but if your heart desires to mix yourself, use an accurate digital scale.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
1. Anyone that uses it, beware it smells like absolute $hit and the stench will stick with anything you get it on or near.

2. Theres a cure time, applying heat will spead up cure time. Not too much heat, but the data sheet should give guidance.

3. It's a 2-part sealant that NEEDS THOROUGH mixing. Too little hardener it will never cure, too much and it becomes brittle. Buy a "one time use" tube that has the correct mixture, but if your heart desires to mix yourself, use an accurate digital scale.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yeah it does smell like hell lol! And single use tubes are the easiest! The best stuff I've ever used though.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
That stuff looks good. On a slightly less toxic scale, I like the "Right Stuff" gasket maker, and 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealant for sealing things up. I actually used the 3M stuff for poo ...well for a black water tank for my travel trailer;)

Last edited:

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
First off if this isn't in the right area please move it.

Anyways as the title says. Silicone is good and there are other products that are resistant to fuels and oils but I wanted to share with you guys a product that is used widely and for almost everything sealant wise on airplanes.
This stuff seals gas tanks, firewalls, is resistant to fuel, gas, oil, pretty much any heavy solvent out there. It's nasty stuff. I'm currently putting a fuel sump in my diesel and my tank is quite bowed so my sump may or may not seal. having used this stuff before I'm not worried with sealing aluminum to any sort of plastic so I'm gonna slather it up with this bolt it up and Not worry about it again.
The stuff is called PRC desoto. I'll post a link for it you can read the properties. It would probly seal poo to grease if you were brave enough.

Ps don't get it on you or you'll be stained for about three weeks.
You're welcome.

http://www.ppgaerospace.com/Products/Sealants.aspx

*insert “will it work on the wife” joke here*

Sent from my Blue Onyx RAM 1500.

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I'll send more pics when I'm ready to put the part in and seal my tank. c24c0f5d7b39ffd61012f2197dafc87f.jpg

Mike62

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This stuff is intended for use with aircraft fuel systems maintenance. Used it for 36 years in the USAF. Great for sealing just about anything though. It should come with the Accelerator (hardener) rod, just push that entirely in to the 6 Oz sealant tube and quickly mix it till the entire tube is a uniform color. There are several types for different desired applications, each with different cure time. Its best to use a cleaner/solvent to prep the sealing area with a non-film leaving solvent first. They also make a 2.5 Oz tube also. If you have and area with lots of seams or crevices, you can mix in some MEK to dilute it to almost liquid form, then it will seep into every crevice, hardening as the MEK evaporates. Use heavy duty rubber gloves if you use the MEK, NOT surgical gloves and in well ventilated area. Pay attention to the SDS safety data too.

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
This stuff is intended for use with aircraft fuel systems maintenance. Used it for 36 years in the USAF. Great for sealing just about anything though. It should come with the Accelerator (hardener) rod, just push that entirely in to the 6 Oz sealant tube and quickly mix it till the entire tube is a uniform color. There are several types for different desired applications, each with different cure time. Its best to use a cleaner/solvent to prep the sealing area with a non-film leaving solvent first. They also make a 2.5 Oz tube also. If you have and area with lots of seams or crevices, you can mix in some MEK to dilute it to almost liquid form, then it will seep into every crevice, hardening as the MEK evaporates. Use heavy duty rubber gloves if you use the MEK, NOT surgical gloves and in well ventilated area. Pay attention to the SDS safety data too.
MEK [emoji2961] stuff grabs you pretty hard, makes me buzzed almost as soon as I take the cap off. I always have to wear a respirator.

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I work as an aircraft mechanic and use this stuff pretty much daily. Indeed does have a wicked smell when you first cut open the bag.

just a tip for mixing. Pull the plunger all the way out, break the seal and push about 1/3 of hardener in, move the plunger halfway down and put another 1/3 in, then plunger all the way in and put the last 1/3. Mix it really well by hand.

We have machines at my company that mix it up really well and also have drill attachments to make it a lot easier and to ensure it mixes properly. You can cut off the top of the plunger and stick it in a drill also. If you do that and mix it for the correct amount of time and get it hot while mixing it’ll cure faster

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I work in Aerospace also and unless you can pilfer (steal) this stuff from work, it is overkill for the average DIY shade tree mechanic at home. Most of the aerospace lubricant, sealants or other chemicals are too costly for most consumers to buy.

Lastly, you have to know the surface prep requirements and applications. Some of these aerospace sealants will eat many automotive painted surface or cause corrosion if not compatible with the base metal they are applied to. Way easier, cheaper and safer to stick with the consumer automotive marketed and made for chemicals than to think just because it was made for aerospace applications, it has to better in consumer automotive applications.

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I work in Aerospace also and unless you can pilfer (steal) this stuff from work, it is overkill for the average DIY shade tree mechanic at home. Most of the aerospace lubricant, sealants or other chemicals are too costly for most consumers to buy.

Lastly, you have to know the surface prep requirements and applications. Some of these aerospace sealants will eat many automotive painted surface or cause corrosion if not compatible with the base metal they are applied to. Way easier, cheaper and safer to stick with the consumer automotive marketed and made for chemicals than to think just because it was made for aerospace applications, it has to better in consumer automotive applications.
I get it expired for free. Aerospace shelf life isn't long yet the stuff Is still fine to use so I use it for free. Did my diesel sump with it because my tank was screwey. [emoji106]