Seat took a bite out of my foot. Yikes! Or a cautionary tale of wet feet and Ram All Weather Mats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Y'all be careful with the Ram all weather mats. Started raining yesterday so I climbed in the back seat to put my daughter in her car seat out of the rain. Wet foot slipped on the all weather mat and my foot slammed into the seat frame. Cut me so bad I ended up with 3 stitches ... doc said I needed more but I took so much skin off I didn't leave her enough to do more than 3. I guess the good part is the all weather mats kept the pool of blood out of the carpet but damn did that hurt.

I had Husky XAct Contours in my last truck and they were not slick at all. Making me think I might need to replace the Ram mats with Huskys in this truck.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^^^^^^ Got Husky's in MY 19. Use Weathertech for mud flaps.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^^^^^^^ Got Husky's in MY 19. Use Weathertech for mud flaps.

I don't.buy weather tech products any more. I had a bug and stone deflector that cracked at one of the mounting points and they wouldn't warranty it. Nothing had hit it I guess it cracked due to vibration. But they kept trying to sale me another one for half price. I told them not to worry that I wouldn't buy anymore of their products. Lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a AVS II on front for deflector.

IMG_0614.JPG

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I don't.buy weather tech products any more. I had a bug and stone deflector that cracked at one of the mounting points and they wouldn't warranty it. Nothing had hit it I guess it cracked due to vibration. But they kept trying to sale me another one for half price. I told them not to worry that I wouldn't buy anymore of their products. Lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had WeatherTech mats in the Jeep I had before my last truck. They were also slick but not as bad as the Ram mats. Tried the Husky liners for my last truck because they were cheaper and didn't seem to be as slick. Loved those things until I sold the truck, never had an issue with them. Since the Rebel comes with the all weather mats, I thought cool, I don't have to go spend $200 on new mats. Instead I ended up spending $200 on getting stitches and wound care supplies. Guess I shoulda just bought the mats. Glad it was me and not my kid but honestly kinda seems like a bad design to have the seat track be sharp enough to slice an unsuspecting toe all the way down through the fatty tissue and combine that with 0 grip rubber mats.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the ram all weathers in my truck and they aren't slick at all. Possible there was a dressing applied to them to shine them up?

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Nothing slick about these.... maybe invest in better footwear...View attachment 182887

These are different than the mats for the new body style. Looks like you have a HD so you actually still have the 4th gen cab which means 4th gen mats. Maybe the 4th gen mats were better. The new body style 5th gens don't have a hump in the floor, it's completely flat. The pattern on your mats looks like it has more texture and grip, like the front mats in the new body style. The back mats for new body style have more of the lined part like you see at the front. It's actually VERY slick and instead of providing friction points, it channels your foot straight into the back of the seat.

As to your other point, yeah maybe I should stop wearing flip flops everywhere but it's FL. It's pretty much the state footwear. That said, I don't need to invest in better footwear because I never slipped on my Husky mats in far worse conditions than a little rain. So if the same flip flops are fine on the Husky mats and not the Ram mats, well, you do the math. And I would argue that in fact the mats should have grip regardless of what you're wearing. Maybe your shoes grip very well in all conditions but that's not the point.

TL;DR; your mats are different so maybe yours aren't slick or maybe your shoes grip better in all conditions. The all weather mats in the Rebel are slick as hell in the back seat. The 3 stitches and large chunk of missing skin on my foot are all the evidence required.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have the ram all weathers in my truck and they aren't slick at all. Possible there was a dressing applied to them to shine them up?

It's possible but I don't think so. Maybe I'll scrub them down with some dish soap to cut through anything that might be on them just to be safe. My front mats aren't as slick although slicker than I'd expect for an all weather mat, but I've never actually slipped on them. The have a little texture on them which provides enough friction. The back mat are straight line grooves though and that's a different story altogether as the stitches in my toe will attest.