Seatbelts are locked on my front seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ciara99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am parting out a 99 Ram and I removed the front seats, but the belts dont work. They are retracted all the way but dont pull out. They seem to be locked. Anybody had this issue? The truck wasnt wrecked and the drivers side is power. Thanks

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure the reel is tilted back. There is a gravity lock in them that senses crash inertia to lock them. Maybe tap on them to free them up.

cvsahara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it is anything like mine then there is no gravity lock in the reel itself. The whole thing is controlled by an electronic inertia switch. the control box/switch is mounted under the middle seat. It plugs into each seat. You probably had to unplug it to get the seats out. Without the 12 volts coming from that switch, the seatbelts lock up and cant unlock.

notinfallible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V-10 Gas
Both of my front seatbelts were locked and I solved it by disconnecting and reconnecting the negative terminal on my battery. I drive a 98 Dodge Ram 2500.

Hope this helps!