Second fuel tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lars6025

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First time posting: new power wagon, love the truck and love reading through all of the threads and posts in the forum!

One thing that is on my list of upgrades is to add additional fuel storage. I have seen some threads with bed mounted options, but has anyone added a second tank under the bed? If I relocate the spare tire can a second tank be fitted there?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are direct fit fuel tanks that fit for the spare tire. I’m not sure I like that idea as much though because if you don’t use the cable hoist much and you keep the fuel tank loaded it can break the cable and you’ll lose the tank. I’m planning on having a fuel cell built and installed in the location for the spare tire. Thinking I can get a 36 gallon fuel cell built for it.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
There are direct fit fuel tanks that fit for the spare tire. I’m not sure I like that idea as much though because if you don’t use the cable hoist much and you keep the fuel tank loaded it can break the cable and you’ll lose the tank. I’m planning on having a fuel cell built and installed in the location for the spare tire. Thinking I can get a 36 gallon fuel cell built for it.
I believe Titan makes that tank. The problem is no skid plate to protect it when off road.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
First time posting: new power wagon, love the truck and love reading through all of the threads and posts in the forum!

One thing that is on my list of upgrades is to add additional fuel storage. I have seen some threads with bed mounted options, but has anyone added a second tank under the bed? If I relocate the spare tire can a second tank be fitted there?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
If you don’t wheel, then mounting an extra tank underneath is possible but you have to consider the custom skid plates needed if you go off road with that tank full. Also, putting 300 lbs behind the axle will definitely effect you towing abilities.
BTW. Welcome to the Club!! It is not polite to boast of a new Wagon and not post pictures!

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I think there is one available for gas. I swear I’ve seen one.
If you ever find it, please let us know.

Out in the deserted region just west of Moab, all the way another 700 miles to Reno , I've driven far across 100 miles of high desert dirt roads to top off at any sole pump available.

At the fuel station below the outstanding reviews are worth reading. Even when they aren't open, the single pump is ready to use.

Randy's Service
5 E, Main St, Emery, UT 84522
(435) 286-2333
https://maps.app.goo.gl/S6odDvGhB1TcE29G9

The reviews speak over and over of it being a lifesaver.

Zach8109

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok I’ve looked underneath the truck here’s what I found.
The fuel tank goes with in the frame rails to be protected on the driver side.
The passenger side has the exhaust routed through it.
I believe if you can reroute the exhaust Outside of the frame rails or by the driveshaft without affecting it that you could slide a second gas tank on the passenger side my question would be what to do with the fuel pump situation the lines and would a evap canister would be necessary for the second fuel tank.

I plan on doing that this winter and posting any information I collect.

The tanks are fairly cheap used same with pumps. Nothing aftermarket is gas legal unless it’s the spare tire one and with that have fun bouncing down the road cause you’ll have weight after the rear axle I know this cause when my spare sits in the bed behind the axles it bounces allover the freeway with new towing suspension over the axle it’s nice and smooth so I wouldn’t go the spare tire fuel tank way. Also what about an accident with 30 gallons of fuel behind the rear axle sounds scary to me. I’m not sure if trucks are designed this way but cars with spare tires in the trunk are considered part of the crumple zone and it’s necessary to have a spare tire in order for you to have a safe rear ended accident.

Anyways I’ll post updates of my struggles and issues I run into while trying to install a second fuel tank in my 5.7 1500 gasser.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I’ve looked underneath the truck here’s what I found.
The fuel tank goes with in the frame rails to be protected on the driver side.
The passenger side has the exhaust routed through it.
I believe if you can reroute the exhaust Outside of the frame rails or by the driveshaft without affecting it that you could slide a second gas tank on the passenger side my question would be what to do with the fuel pump situation the lines and would a evap canister would be necessary for the second fuel tank.

I plan on doing that this winter and posting any information I collect.

The tanks are fairly cheap used same with pumps. Nothing aftermarket is gas legal unless it’s the spare tire one and with that have fun bouncing down the road cause you’ll have weight after the rear axle I know this cause when my spare sits in the bed behind the axles it bounces allover the freeway with new towing suspension over the axle it’s nice and smooth so I wouldn’t go the spare tire fuel tank way. Also what about an accident with 30 gallons of fuel behind the rear axle sounds scary to me. I’m not sure if trucks are designed this way but cars with spare tires in the trunk are considered part of the crumple zone and it’s necessary to have a spare tire in order for you to have a safe rear ended accident.

Anyways I’ll post updates of my struggles and issues I run into while trying to install a second fuel tank in my 5.7 1500 gasser.
I’ve never had an issue with carrying weight behind the axle. The old spare sits behind the axle. My new spare sits in the bed as far to the rear as possible and weighs 103lbs. If you do mount a second tank I would look into mocking all the wiring and tubing of the first tank. Only issue I see is fuel fill and vapor purge. If you split the lines going to the front between the 2 tanks or run custom lines with solenoids to shut each tank off and just put a switch on the fuel pumps to select which tank.