Seeking Expert Insights: Motor Oils, Filters, and Maintenance for our HEMIs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EchoQuill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey folks,

I'm sure most of you, like me, have spent the better part of your lives around cars. Still, we always have something new to learn, right? Today, I'm reaching out for your insights and expertise on a few questions that have been on my mind lately.

Firstly, the age-old debate: conventional vs. synthetic oil. I get that synthetic is generally seen as the superior choice, but I'm curious to hear more specifics. Are there distinct advantages that convinced you to make the switch from conventional to synthetic? Or, on the flip side, reasons you've stuck with conventional despite the trends?

I've been told that synthetic oil offers better high-temperature resistance, engine protection, and cold-temperature performance. But are these benefits truly significant in everyday use? Or are they only noticeable in extreme conditions? And how about the cost aspect? Is synthetic worth the extra dollars in your experience?

Next on my list: high mileage motor oils and seal conditioners. I've heard that high mileage oils include additives for engine protection, but does anyone have more detailed insights into this? And what's the deal with these "seal conditioners" they often talk about? Any experiences or insights on whether switching to high mileage oil really pays off after crossing a certain mileage would be super helpful.

Finally, let's talk oil change intervals. I know the general rule of thumb - 3,000 to 5,000 miles for conventional and 7,500 to 10,000 miles for synthetic. But, if we're talking about maximum engine longevity and wear protection, do these intervals still hold up? Is there an "ideal" frequency in your experience?

And while we're on this subject, let's touch on oil filters as well. Any preferences or specific filters that have proven their worth in your garages?

Lastly, a HEMI-specific question - any recommendations on the best motor oil to quiet down the 5.7 HEMI engine? I'd appreciate any advice from those of you who've been in the same boat.

Thanks for reading, guys. I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences. Let's all continue to learn from each other!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Welcome to the forum. There is one huge long thread on oil and another on filters. If you search oil and search filters you will find at least 300 threads. If those don't answer your questions there isn't much to add.

Place to start reading.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey folks,

I'm sure most of you, like me, have spent the better part of your lives around cars. Still, we always have something new to learn, right? Today, I'm reaching out for your insights and expertise on a few questions that have been on my mind lately.

Firstly, the age-old debate: conventional vs. synthetic oil. I get that synthetic is generally seen as the superior choice, but I'm curious to hear more specifics. Are there distinct advantages that convinced you to make the switch from conventional to synthetic? Or, on the flip side, reasons you've stuck with conventional despite the trends?

I've been told that synthetic oil offers better high-temperature resistance, engine protection, and cold-temperature performance. But are these benefits truly significant in everyday use? Or are they only noticeable in extreme conditions? And how about the cost aspect? Is synthetic worth the extra dollars in your experience?

Next on my list: high mileage motor oils and seal conditioners. I've heard that high mileage oils include additives for engine protection, but does anyone have more detailed insights into this? And what's the deal with these "seal conditioners" they often talk about? Any experiences or insights on whether switching to high mileage oil really pays off after crossing a certain mileage would be super helpful.

Finally, let's talk oil change intervals. I know the general rule of thumb - 3,000 to 5,000 miles for conventional and 7,500 to 10,000 miles for synthetic. But, if we're talking about maximum engine longevity and wear protection, do these intervals still hold up? Is there an "ideal" frequency in your experience?

And while we're on this subject, let's touch on oil filters as well. Any preferences or specific filters that have proven their worth in your garages?

Lastly, a HEMI-specific question - any recommendations on the best motor oil to quiet down the 5.7 HEMI engine? I'd appreciate any advice from those of you who've been in the same boat.

Thanks for reading, guys. I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences. Let's all continue to learn from each other!
Look into TX-7. A friend of mine called me up the other day and stated that, after other efforts failed to cure his wife's RAM Hemi-tick, he added TX-7 to the oil and it worked, and continues to do so.

Carl Benton is the owner of the company (Polydyne) here in Houston. 281-894-6382 is their main number. Carl's cell is 832-256-5689. I have his permission to give out his cell. Carl works with Well known race car teams in Nascar and other venues. His knowledge is extraordinary. Call him and invest a few minutes to get some great answers!