Seen a 1500 pulling 5th wheel with no sag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnwayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 slt
Engine
I got me the loadlifter ultimate+5000 set. They are the best for our trucks. Steel braided lines and screw on fittings ect. I would never tow a huge 5wheel though lol 2015 5.7 hemi. I have a large tent trailer that weighs 2000lbs fully loaded. I put about 1000 lbs in the back (coolers full for food and drinks, inflatable zodiac, 15hp oitboard) that's my vacation every year lol. Someday I will get a bigger trailer maybe but it's just me and my wife. No kids so probably nothing ridiculous. Anyway they are pretty sweet for big loads. Mine are the best and can be run empty or up to 100psi. At 100psi expect 5" lift at rear of vehicle. I kinda over did it on these but figured do it once do it right and have options. Hope this helps. Diesel and these you could to a bus with no sag lol

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is doable as some are rated for 1/2 ton. That would be max tow option for a 1/2 ton.

I was on the road last summer and all I could see is this popup rolling down the expressway. We couldn't see the car until we started passing it. I was towed by this Civic and was a low rider. lol.

I actually took this picture a couple of years ago. It was too funny…. :)

Attachments

• F9374754-0610-4B6C-AB1F-207BEAD2A75B.jpeg
    F9374754-0610-4B6C-AB1F-207BEAD2A75B.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 27

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The short truth is airbags mask any incorrect cargo/towing occurrences and only solve one issue, how a truck looks to the eye. They cost money to install and they are rubber so eventually can wear out and result in cost to maintain or replace. Tow with them without knowing weights at axles and one may be gambling quite heavily. Just due to the repair cost alone is a reason to steer clear of trucks that have them, but the multiple component damage from overloaded towing is an even greater possibility and why my family never buys a vehicle with them. We tow travel trailers and work trailers extensively through the year around the country; we know our weights and have no problems with sag.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I actually took this picture a couple of years ago. It was too funny…. :)
This is common every summer around here. You might get lucky to see the roof of the tow vehicle above the roof of the popup. Unless they've got the roof of the popup covered with bikes/rowboat/kayaks/more camping gear.

I mean kudos to them for getting out an enjoying camping. But there's no way they can possibly see behind them to change lanes or back up safely.

Robert Fly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm towing a Keystone 5th wheel with my 2016 Ram 1500. Payload is 1820, pin weight is 1450. I added 1000# air bags that go inside the coil springs. Pulls and rides great.
Been to Alaska and back and all over the western states.

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'm towing a Keystone 5th wheel with my 2016 Ram 1500. Payload is 1820, pin weight is 1450. I added 1000# air bags that go inside the coil springs. Pulls and rides great.

So, you don't seem to count the payload in the truck as well? Bodies, mods, bags etc and that would put you over your payload. Heck just me and the wife it's well over 300Lbs. Air Bags don't increase your capacity either, just there for ride and squat.

To each his own I guess but that to me is careless.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
So, you don't seem to count the payload in the truck as well? Bodies, mods, bags etc and that would put you over your payload. Heck just me and the wife it's well over 300Lbs. Air Bags don't increase your capacity either, just there for ride and squat.

To each his own I guess but that to me is careless.

If he isn't over his RAWR then he's okay. The air bags make it more stable. Depending on the construction of the axle though, his bearings may not like it.

Is it a situation I would want to be in? Not really. I am the type of person who would much rather be way over-trucked, because I have seen far too many times what happens when you aren't.

OP
OP
Frankwhoa

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is your Rear Axle rating? I would imagine that is the stronger of the ratings since you could in theory flatten the suspension and still ride...

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Airbags "mask problems".... LOL. The best high-end diesel pusher chassis made ride exclusively on airbags. I guess they are just "masking" problems. Yeah, all us poor guys with overloaded trucks riding on coil or leaf springs have it all figured out.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
but 5th wheels don't tend to sag as much as hitch pulls because it puts the weight in front of the rear axle and so the front axle also takes a bit of the weight

Huh? Same weight 5th wheel vs. travel trailer will sag far more due to the 2X weight it puts on the truck - 5th pin weight is 20-25%, TT hitch weight is 10-15%. Sure, same weight on the hitch is slightly magnified due to the distance behind the axle but this nothing to bank on when considering the two towing setups with similar weights onto the truck.

Weight on the front axle from a 5th wheel? Maybe a couple % of the pin weight but not enough to even calculate or consider. My 11K 5th wheel (+/- 2500# pin weight) makes at most 50# difference one way or the other on the front axle. I've weighed numerous times and my front axle weight is VERY constant with or without the 5th attached.

Andersoncma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Spread axle with Electric lift axle would be the thing to have and would ease the strain when working your way through turns…after the turn, drop the lift axle back down

OP
OP
Frankwhoa

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Spread axle with Electric lift axle would be the thing to have and would ease the strain when working your way through turns…after the turn, drop the lift axle back down
This would do what, change the tongue weight?

Andersoncma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
A spread axle would reduce tongue weight. Spread axles are common on semi flatbeds because a spread axle can be loaded heavier and alleviates some bridge law issues and you will often see those drivers lift the axle when maneuvering in tight spaces to save wear and tear on tires, bearings, etc

Andersoncma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This would do what, change the tongue weight?
In addition to reducing tongue weight, it would also make your trailer more stable in windy conditions, and would certainly reduce fishtailing

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
A spread axle would reduce tongue weight. Spread axles are common on semi flatbeds because a spread axle can be loaded heavier and alleviates some bridge law issues and you will often see those drivers lift the axle when maneuvering in tight spaces to save wear and tear on tires, bearings, etc
I always wondered what those were for :waytogo: