self driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've started research regarding install of an auto pilot system for Ram trucks that have lane keep and acc. Estimated cost of 1300 bucks. Comma.ai
If anyone has interest let me know and I'll post another thread under tech info. If there is no interest I'll go it alone. If anyone is a good hack they could be of help but if not I've also sourced an asset that will be an additional expense that I'll cover. The system will not require hands on but eyes on the road. The unit would also function as a dash cam. I'm not selling anything here nor will I make a dime on this, just curious if anyone else has interest.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I do not want to be nagative but the lane keep, while it works, it is finiky and i would not trust it to drive me.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I've started research regarding install of an auto pilot system for Ram trucks that have lane keep and acc. Estimated cost of 1300 bucks. Comma.ai
If anyone has interest let me know and I'll post another thread under tech info. If there is no interest I'll go it alone. If anyone is a good hack they could be of help but if not I've also sourced an asset that will be an additional expense that I'll cover. The system will not require hands on but eyes on the road. The unit would also function as a dash cam. I'm not selling anything here nor will I make a dime on this, just curious if anyone else has interest.

I'm not in favor of putting workers out of work!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is a cool feature like on the Teslas, but I watched a video on how it works and does not work or sense traffic or cones. On open stretches it appeared to work well. Most of the time tho if you are on an open stretch the cruise works about the same. I just position my steering wheel where I can comfortably control it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I worked for Caltrans for 33 plus years

At times i was involved in the PATH program

California Partners for Advanced Transportation Technology

I observed first hand that there are too many variables for even a dedicated computer to resolve at 65 MPH in controlled area test.
I would never trust that system on an Open highway

http://www.caconnectedvehicletestbed.org/index.php/

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I don't see the self driving thing being viable for a long time. Too many roads with no painted lines to follow. Construction zones where you have to stop and wait, then get in the 'wrong' lane to go around. An eight of an inch of snow on the road, everything is white, and you are done for.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've driven cars with lane keep assist and I didn't feel comfortable with it. But I really would like to have ACC. Just not sure it's worth $1300 to me though. I do like to see people come up with cool new things, so I'm interested. I'd like to see you create a thread for this. And I'm willing to help if I can.

dale197338

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi
I had acc on my challenger and it took awhile to get use to. Main thing I didn't like is when people where getting off the highway it would still think the vehicle was there and slow down or sometimes really slow down.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TimboRam77

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is a cool feature like on the Teslas, but I watched a video on how it works and does not work or sense traffic or cones. On open stretches it appeared to work well. Most of the time tho if you are on an open stretch the cruise works about the same. I just position my steering wheel where I can comfortably control it.
which settings are you using for lane keep. I can't find a setting that really does much.

OP
OP
TimboRam77

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've driven cars with lane keep assist and I didn't feel comfortable with it. But I really would like to have ACC. Just not sure it's worth $1300 to me though. I do like to see people come up with cool new things, so I'm interested. I'd like to see you create a thread for this. And I'm willing to help if I can.
Thanks
I'm trying to get answers from a separate community of comma.ai to communicate with my it guy. This is not plug n play meaning there is not a supported vehicle harness. There is a vehicle specfic harness for the pacifica and if thats close I may go in that direction. I'm also emailing comma.ai to see if support for our truck is in the works. That would be a 30 minute job according to the website.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My wife's Lincoln has the adaptive cruise. Works quite well. Set the speed, if you are going faster than the car in front, it slows to match speed. Change lanes, it picks up right to the set speed.

I just have to remember if I am driving the Lincoln or the Ram, so I don't run over a Prius with my truck...

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
My wife's Lincoln has the adaptive cruise. Works quite well. Set the speed, if you are going faster than the car in front, it slows to match speed. Change lanes, it picks up right to the set speed.

I just have to remember if I am driving the Lincoln or the Ram, so I don't run over a Prius with my truck...

We have those features on our 2018 Honda Odyssey. The cruise control works well on the expressways, but I really don't care much for the lane keeping part of it. It's not always accurate in my opinion.
Also the "Brake" warning goes off often on inside corners on narrow roads as it senses the oncoming car as being too close.
Needs more development imo

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes, the lane keeping is touch and go. If the road doesn't have good clear lines on it, the car can't tell where the edges are. The brake warning on ours will pick up the wrong thing from time to time. It has a sensitivity setting, and when it is set to low, I get very few false alarms.

The tech isn't perfect, but strides are being made.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm interested in the progress of this for sure. I have the ACC and lanekeeping. Lanekeeping is pretty unreliable, in that it cannot be trusted with my eyes on the road and hands on the wheel...so if the system you (OP) are describing relies on the factory system...I'll remain concerned. But still definitely interested

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just rented a vehicle and within 15 minutes of driving it, pulled into a parking lot and disabled every f*cking nanny system that was activated. Lane assist, this assist, that assist, crash avoidance...I mean the wheel was resisting movement, vibrating, beepers beeping, icons flashing, cruise control slowing down 300 ft from a vehicle....****, let ME drive the car, ok? If you don't want to take on the responsibility of driving, then don't drive! Who follows every line to the inch and what if, like my area, they don't maintain the lines properly?

Last edited:
OP
OP
TimboRam77

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
follow up

I've halted progress on the comma,ai system at this point. If the Ram becomes fully supported I'll be back in. Because of the need to write code and more disturbing is the lack of a plug n play harness. This requires cutting into the factory harness. Not a big deal seeing I installed a double din in my 2005 3500 and tapped numerous sensor wires for the latest radio mod at the time. My fear is warranty. The self drive feature will be added eventually. So will removing the steering wheel. My 19 ram was an electrical nightmare and I'm going to cut any wires for now on this 21. A supported harness would solve all this.

rdm1465

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 , non e-torque
Quite honestly, I don't believe or have any interest in self driving anything. Keep the eyes on the road and adapt to the road situations.

If auto driver is a must have .... get on a bus, call a cab or whatever. Help keep somebody gainfully employed. It also would help with less traffic congestion for each car not on the road.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
follow up

I've halted progress on the comma,ai system at this point. If the Ram becomes fully supported I'll be back in. Because of the need to write code and more disturbing is the lack of a plug n play harness. This requires cutting into the factory harness. Not a big deal seeing I installed a double din in my 2005 3500 and tapped numerous sensor wires for the latest radio mod at the time. My fear is warranty. The self drive feature will be added eventually. So will removing the steering wheel. My 19 ram was an electrical nightmare and I'm going to cut any wires for now on this 21. A supported harness would solve all this.
In your original post you indicated that this was for lane keep assist (which I don't want) and ACC. You didn't mention anything about self-driving. Is that something you decided to include after your initial post here, or was it part of the plan all along? That's definitely something I'm not interested in having LOL. I know is the direction that driving is going (unfortunately), but I don't expect to see mainstream acceptance of that system in my lifetime. Good luck with your project. Sounds like fun.

OP
OP
TimboRam77

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In your original post you indicated that this was for lane keep assist (which I don't want) and ACC. You didn't mention anything about self-driving. Is that something you decided to include after your initial post here, or was it part of the plan all along? That's definitely something I'm not interested in having LOL. I know is the direction that driving is going (unfortunately), but I don't expect to see mainstream acceptance of that system in my lifetime. Good luck with your project. Sounds like fun.
The initial post states '' auto pilot system for trucks with lane keep assist and acc''.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ram is officially supported by comma.ai now. so, it is now plug and play.
Went for some test drives for one of the super-coders today, and had it down to full stop and go steering. Lane centering and ACC worked flawlessly, and on highway requires little to no driver intervention on my part, with very little intervention in town traffic. Comma controlled steering in full stop and go traffic, with nothing more than a nudge on the gas to keep from holding up traffic.
It will not stop an stop signs or follow a designate rout yet like the Tesla, but it wont run you into a highway divider either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye