Sensor cover to keep headlights on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Have always felt like the headlights didn't automatically come on enough in conditions when they should so I made this cover for the sensor. It's an end cap for 1/2" o.d. PVC pipe. I cut about half of the length off with a Dremel tool, sanded & painted it, & put a couple of O-rings inside to help keep it more centered on the sensor. Not exactly rocket science but it looks better than the bottle cap I had previously used.

View media item 27205

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Yea, but turning on your lights when needed is getting to be as ‘foreign’ as pushing in a third pedal and moving a stick around to get moving...

Our many automations are replacing the daily routines and practices we once depended on to navigate through life.

Not a Luddite, just an observation.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Pictures not showing on Tapatalk

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A better solution is using a tool to activate DRL. This likely makes your dash lights dim, and all lights on on the vehicle at all times. Although not horrible it will shorten bulb life drastically.

OP
OP
T

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes, they do stay on but I feel that is safer than the headlights not being on in certain conditions. Saves having to turn them off & on with the switch. I don't drive a lot so don't think the bulb life will be an issue. I can always just take it off if I change my mind. Might considering having the dealer turn on the DRL at some point.
Also, had fun doing this. :)

OP
OP
T

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
OP... are you an engineer of some sort IRL? This is an elegant solution to a problem I didn't know I had...lol

Not, not an engineer of any sort. Also never played one on TV. :D
May have been too bored from the long winter and needed a project. ;)

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You know, if it works for you then go with it. Kind of a novel idea.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went ahead and screenshotted it for everyone so you wouldn’t have to go to the website to see it but, I always thought that was the GPS sensor and wondered where the auto-headlight sensor was. I figured it was in the camera on the back of the rearview that operated the auto-highbeams.

But see, the only bad thing about that is, all your lights are gonna be on, and all your dash lights will be dim.

My truck has the premium projectors so I just had another local dealer enable the amber LED turn signal strip DRL’s. Didn’t even charge me to do it and, it saves me 10 bucks a month on my insurance.

3ef20aeeff195738ddcd8b978e08f2e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

werdna1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I went ahead and screenshotted it for everyone so you wouldn’t have to go to the website to see it but, I always thought that was the GPS sensor and wondered where the auto-headlight sensor was. I figured it was in the camera on the back of the rearview that operated the auto-highbeams.

But see, the only bad thing about that is, all your lights are gonna be on, and all your dash lights will be dim.

My truck has the premium projectors so I just had another local dealer enable the amber LED turn signal strip DRL’s. Didn’t even charge me to do it and, it saves me 10 bucks a month on my insurance.

3ef20aeeff195738ddcd8b978e08f2e1.jpg

If your vehicle is equipped with rain sensing wipers then the auto-headlights is also integrated with the rain sensor behind the rear view mirror. I know this because my 15 ram had the windshield replaced with one that wasnt equipped with the rain sensor so it was disconnected and my auto-headlights would never turn off until i put it back in.

D2B68D7B-312B-4A0B-958F-061C227C9B48.png

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
OP... are you an engineer of some sort IRL? This is an elegant solution to a problem I didn't know I had...lol
I'm in VA where we formerly had annual safety stickers glued right over the sensor--not theyre to the left. I've never had a problem with the lights coming on too late.

You do have the ability to adjust, like lights on with wipers etc.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your vehicle is equipped with rain sensing wipers then the auto-headlights is also integrated with the rain sensor behind the rear view mirror. I know this because my 15 ram had the windshield replaced with one that wasnt equipped with the rain sensor so it was disconnected and my auto-headlights would never turn off until i put it back in.

View attachment 158925

Well I dunno, because in my 18, I have the little black, flat square box that’s stuck to my windshield(that I thought was for the wipers), the camera behind the rearview mirror(that I figured was for the highbeams) and the sensor on the dash that the OP covered up in his, that I all the sudden assumed was for the auto headlights.

werdna1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well I dunno, because in my 18, I have the little black, flat square box that’s stuck to my windshield(that I thought was for the wipers), the camera behind the rearview mirror(that I figured was for the highbeams) and the sensor on the dash that the OP covered up in his, that I all the sudden assumed was for the auto headlights.

I also have the same in my 18. So if you remove that black round puck from your windshield or even disconnect it for that matter then your auto headlights will come on because it thinks its dark out. The round sensor on the dash that the OP covered is also a light sensor but once rain sensors are put in then it uses both. I found this out the hard way with my old truck. My fix was to acid etch the black glass so it had a window for the black puck thing to get some light and voila it worked properly for the lights but could not sense the rain

Ram1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2017 1500 Crew 5.7 ..I have my headlight switch in On Position at all times. I shut truck off and lights shut off after 5-10 minutes. all due to the OEM battery save feature. Do this because my DRL stopped working after changing to LED's. Decided to stay with this On position because it insures lighting in all conditions at all times.