Serious help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wynded12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok I need some serious input on my issue. I had my pressure sensor tube rail, driver module, fuel pump, and the ECM. replaced. I dont get engine lights on anymore but when I start it up and drive a few miles and come to a stop and try to go again my engine just dies. I try to give it gas but I cant do nothing except hit the brakes and put it in park and start it and then I can go again. But after I drive for awhile and its warmed up it seems to be just fine. I ran 2 bottles of sea foam in tank and sea foamed the throttle body. Ive already spent well over 2k on this truck. I just want to be pointed in the right direction for a change. Dodge shop doesnt have a clue. Been crapping my pants when I cross a major highway and it dies in the middle of a south bound highway. It is a 2019 ram big horn classic with the 5.7 hemi. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Assuming they already checked this but it sounds Iike fuel pump.

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
I had my pressure sensor tube rail, driver module, fuel pump, and the ECM. replaced.
Dodge shop doesnt have a clue.

You telling us 'they' did the work and now 'they' don't have a clue when it is obvious something wasn't installed right or connected right?

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try to find somebody who specializes in *diagnostics* of the electrical/computerized systems. From the description it sounds like an intermittent connection that gets better as the engine warms up. In Wisconsin that can be caused by "green crusties" (corrosion on terminals) so maybe a visual inspection of the major power and ground connections might already yield some clues.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some engine codes could help point in the right direction. Can you swing by Autozone, Oreilly's etc and they'll scan your computer for free (if their scanner goes up that high). Or if you have a scanner, etc. The best would be to do a 'capture' whereby the scanner the real-time sensor and computer data at the time of the engine shutting down. That should help pinpoint what sensors or data were or weren't good at the moment it died. Including fuel pressure.

Are you doing this work, or a shop/dealer? When you're sitting at the stop light/sign is it idling perfect till you attempt to cross the road? (then it dies??).

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wynded12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A dodge dealer was working on it. Was told if it wasnt throwing a light then it wont have a code to read. I do have a pretty good reader myself, but the dealership has better of course. I was just told that hemi's just dont like the cold. Umm...ok....When it does happen , I'll stop at a sign and the idle will fluctuate a little then when I go to hit the pedal, it will sputter for a second the die.. When i do drive for awhile., it seems to run just fine. Only thing I can think of was throttle body or maybe plugs. But im at the point that I cant just keep throwing money at it in hopes to fix the problem. Already did that with the pressure sensor, driver module, fuel pump and ECM. I think the ECM did fix the engine lights bu8t still have this issue

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Right off the bat he's bullcrapping you. There are codes that don't throw a light. They store and if the problem doesn't come back it clears but if it continues it will throw a light. So those can be read. You need to find a mechanic that knows how to troubleshoot.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
You must have a nice truck 2019 isn't that old
you have what’s called drive by wire module and it can be a problem if it malfunctions and it might seem like its the throttle body.

Check under the pedal and see if you can trace the wire from the module behind to a plug under your dash I think its the left-side and make sure its making contact

The dealership used your OBD2 port and there’s special
connector they use to bypass the the secure gateway module I know my truck didn’t come with one because it was made before 2018 but I did have a security GPS tracking device piggy backed onto my OBD2 port and it eventually pulled itself loose from under the dash and because I didn’t finance the truck I could legally remove it
(my subscription had expired )
I pretty sure the connector was near that harness.

Maybe some one else can comment on its location

Attachments

• 1D294CED-20F7-4051-B40F-271CBAC3ACED.jpeg
    1D294CED-20F7-4051-B40F-271CBAC3ACED.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 8
  • AEC0AED6-FBF2-47DC-9DF2-A5E9778C911D.jpeg
    AEC0AED6-FBF2-47DC-9DF2-A5E9778C911D.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Sounds like it time to ask RAM Cares for assistance in finding another dealer service dept. Not all are equal in their troubleshooting capabilities.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A really dirty throttle body can cause what you are talking about. A bad PVC, vacuum hose or other vacuum leak (potentially). And like was said before, a vehicle can set 'soft' codes which don't cause the light to light up. Like one of my vehicles will register misfires but as long as there aren't so many per time period (30 seconds??) it won't illuminate the engine light. That's an example, but there are others too.

DaveSharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok I need some serious input on my issue. I had my pressure sensor tube rail, driver module, fuel pump, and the ECM. replaced. I dont get engine lights on anymore but when I start it up and drive a few miles and come to a stop and try to go again my engine just dies. I try to give it gas but I cant do nothing except hit the brakes and put it in park and start it and then I can go again. But after I drive for awhile and its warmed up it seems to be just fine. I ran 2 bottles of sea foam in tank and sea foamed the throttle body. Ive already spent well over 2k on this truck. I just want to be pointed in the right direction for a change. Dodge shop doesnt have a clue. Been crapping my pants when I cross a major highway and it dies in the middle of a south bound highway. It is a 2019 ram big horn classic with the 5.7 hemi. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I can tell you right now, they don't know what they hell they are doing. They shot gunned a pile of parts to fix a problem they cannot identify. If it's still there they didn't fix it.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It may be a long shot, but I had similar symptoms in an older car and the problem was the EGR valve ... I know this day and age the EGR is electronically controlled but it may be worthwhile checking it out ... The code for this is P0406 ...

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
Wynded12, I'm a Dodge Ram owner since 1997, and I know Bull$Hit when it's handed out.

You got to be firm or find another dealer. NO ONE is expected to drive something that new and accept the 'fail' it has...

magman777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would also check all the ground wires, take them off and clean them with emery cloth. Especially the ones on the engine. The way warming up clears it up I would lean towards a bad ground wire on the engine itself.

Ron Boggio

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
This has already been brought up sort of. The accelerator pedal is itself a electrical module, I know sometimes they can be a real bear to isolate. Also did the "just dies" happen before the parts were replaced or after.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
something that you should do because your issue is a SAFETY issue

Go to the NHTSA website & file a complaint
if you can't cross a major highway, that is a Safety issue