Seriously considering a Chrysler 300

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My son will turn 16 this spring and we have set aside some money in savings to buy him a vehicle. After browsing ads, FB markeplace etc, I came to conclusion that anything that would work (reasonable insurance) was absolute junk. No thanks.
So the wife and I considered just giving her vehicle to him. That is a '14 Jeep Compass. The up side is I've maintained this vehicle, and know it well. Of course the down side is I have to buy the wife something else.
She seems to have gotten the convertible Camaro thing out of her system now and says "nice but really impractical".
I won't have a off shore name brand and I'm not going to be disappointed in a Ford or GM simply because I won't buy one. :D
A nice car is her speed so that leaves a Chrysler 300. I've never driven one before but I've heard some good things in general.

Not buying new, looking for something a couple years old with less than 50K on it.
For the guys that know these cars tell me what you think.

Good idea or forget it ?

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
We leased a 2016 Dodge Charger AWD V6 and ended up buying it at the end of the lease. My wife loves, loves this car. No, it's not a Chrysler 300 but it's the equivalent vehicle in a Dodge nameplate. The Chrysler 300 is the luxury version of the vehicle, the Dodge Charger is the sporty version.

The car is a blast to drive, is spacious inside, handles great, rides nice (we do not have the RT package), and is nicely equipped with an awesome entertainment center (the 8.4" UConnect), heated leather power seats and heated steering wheel, push button start, backup camera and parking sensors, etc. The all-wheel drive is a real difference maker here in snowy Minnesota, but you wouldn't necessarily need that in Tennessee.

We have not experienced one mechanical problem or any reason to take it to the dealer except for oil changes and tire rotations. I did need to buy replacement wiper blades, but that's been it. It's got 31,000 miles now so soon we will be buying tires, a battery, and it will need a brake job in a year or so.

The only negative, and it's trivial IMO, is the car gets "only" 24-25 mpg in mixed driving, probably 70% city and 30% freeway. We did take it on a long trip and it got 33.6 mpg. This is with the Pentastar V6, not the hemi.

Another knock is it has somewhat poor visibility out the rear quarters, that is the roofline in the back obscures view to the corners of the car, but the backup camera makes up for that.

The Chrysler 300 will have a more luxurious feel to it. The dash has more of a luxury look to it vs. the Dodge which has a racing vibe. I've been in 300's and I was struck by the shortened height of the windows. Another thing--I think Chrysler has discontinued the 300 model.

Based on my experience with the Dodge Charger, I say go for it!

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We had a ‘05 300C, traded up to a ‘06 300 SRT, then eventually to a ‘14 300C before they phased out the 5.7. I loved the car, very luxurious, spacious, and comfortable. All the creature comforts. Poor man’s Bentley is the inside joke. The Hemi version is a blast to drive, not sure on the V6’s. Currently have a ‘16 Charger RT and there are days I miss the old 300 SRT. Definitely a better choice than the Compass, lol.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My experience with the Chrysler 300 was excellent & they are still available as a new vehicle.

You have your choice of the 3.6L V6 or 5.7L V8. The current body style is considered the Gen 2 model which was first produced in 2011. Gen 1 models were produced from 20058 - 2010. The platform name is LX.

My 300 was the SRT8 variant from the Gen 1 era. The LX was a new platform for Chrysler back then and, as is always the case for any manufacturer, it had some teething problems. However, it wasn't a long list and mine was pretty well sorted within the first couple of months because I was super proactive on getting TSB's and recalls performed. Mine was comfortable, fast, it handled well and I owned it for 12 years and a few months. If we hadn't decided to downsize and move to a smaller place I'd still have it.

I've driven a couple of the Gen 2 models and liked them. The Gen 2 cars are pretty well sorted and the 3.6L V6 is a decent performer.

Good luck with your car search.

SRT8 01.jpg

Last.jpg

Khanaar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Classic C/C
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had a 13 300S awd hemi. Was a fast, fun and hilarious winter car but it was surprisingly annoying, blind spot sensors died, trunk button failed and started popping at random, blew its own transfer case and front diff, and windshields were 800 bucks. I kind of miss the car but i found it wasnt really that good electronics wise

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The real difference between the Charger and 300 is one of image IMO. Charger = Trace Adkins ; 300 = Dr Dre

Of course they make a new Jeep Compass that is much improved, but I'm not a fan of the Tigershark. I've seen 2014+ Grand Cherokees going pretty cheap around here, and they are also well reviewed.

OP
OP
Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
T I've seen 2014+ Grand Cherokees going pretty cheap around here, and they are also well reviewed.

We have had Grand Cherokees years ago and would like another but anything with relative low miles is priced through the roof in this area.

But you can get a 300 a couple years old, with low miles for around $20k if you show up first. Looking for a deal.
Told her we better get one now because when FCA stops production prices will go through the roof.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Chrysler is owned by an "off shore" name brand. I don't know what kind of mental gymnastics you're doing to convince yourself you're buying "American" but what ever helps you sleep at night.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Chrysler is owned by an "off shore" name brand. I don't know what kind of mental gymnastics you're doing to convince yourself you're buying "American" but what ever helps you sleep at night.
IMO, the only easy way to buy American these days is to look at point of assembly and domestic parts content.

In theory a domestic brand should have more execs here in the US and likely pay more US taxes too if HQ'd in the US, but like you say when the domestic brand happens to be now owned by Stellantis in Europe, who knows.

Plus, I hear the 300 in particular is based in part on Mercedes technology, and you can actually replace the suspension subframe on a 300 with an old e-class Mercedes and it blots right up perfectly, and a Mercedes dealership diagnostic tool can connect right into the OBD2 and work just fine as its using a Mercedes ECU since it was originally designed back when Daimler bought Chrysler.

I read a while back that the most American vehicle you can buy these days is a Honda Ridgeline! :confused:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The neighbor across the street and next door both have / had 300's. I joked that the design looked like a gangster car for blue hairs.

Seems to be very popular, though.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Buddy has a 300, drives 130 miles a day, huge car, gets great gas mileage.

Oldest son purchased a brand new 2017 Charger, V6, has 140k on it now, has been trouble free.

Id drive a 300. Nice cars!

OP
OP
Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Honestly; I've not had much or reliability out of off shore brands; regardless where they are made. If they broke, they required tools I didn't have. Needed a part? Cost 3 times what an equivalent ford/chevy/Mopar part would. If I can stay off that road I will. When I met my wife she had a Camry. Nice looking car but after we were married I had to fix the thing. More than once I was on the phone with the parts store and I could be hear saying: "It costs What? You got to be $#Q% kidding me!!!" Ended up selling it to her brother and the first first time his step-son took it for a spin it slung a rod. (of course that idiot was trying to race it) Bought the wife in a '95 Grand Cherokee instead. She still talks about how much she loved that Jeep.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buddy has a 300, drives 130 miles a day, huge car, gets great gas mileage.
Probably have to qualify "for its size" though, as they seem to average around 21mpg from what I see here: https://www.fuelly.com/car/chrysler/300

Speaking of super long commutes, that's why a buddy bought a BMW 328d for a similar crazy commute, gets 39mpg, although higher diesel costs negate that a little.

I almost bought a Chevy Cruze hatchback diesel in stickshift back in the day, just couldn't find a MTX red RS one anywhere. Those also averaged high 30s a tank in mixed driving IIRC.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
The neighbor across the street and next door both have / had 300's. I joked that the design looked like a gangster car for blue hairs.

Ahhh, so that's why the windows are so short, made to perform as gun ports.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
The Charger/300 is a great car. Get one while you still can..... Seriously. lf I were in the market for a big sedan... All Wheel drive 5.7 hemi preferred. But I'd take the 6 with all wheel drive -- for the wife and kiddies ;) ;-)

OP
OP
Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just an update, we found a sweet '14 300 with low miles. Looks like new inside and out. Has most of the goodies you would want. Wanted a AWD but just couldn't find one and we really don't get enough snow in this area for that to be a deal breaker.

Larry WG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My son will turn 16 this spring and we have set aside some money in savings to buy him a vehicle. After browsing ads, FB markeplace etc, I came to conclusion that anything that would work (reasonable insurance) was absolute junk. No thanks.
So the wife and I considered just giving her vehicle to him. That is a '14 Jeep Compass. The up side is I've maintained this vehicle, and know it well. Of course the down side is I have to buy the wife something else.
She seems to have gotten the convertible Camaro thing out of her system now and says "nice but really impractical".
I won't have a off shore name brand and I'm not going to be disappointed in a Ford or GM simply because I won't buy one. :D
A nice car is her speed so that leaves a Chrysler 300. I've never driven one before but I've heard some good things in general.

Not buying new, looking for something a couple years old with less than 50K on it.
For the guys that know these cars tell me what you think.

Good idea or forget it ?

Like Jessica Smith said, basically buying American is a thing of the past. Regardless of name brand it just isn't like it use to be. But if your satisfied that is all that matters. While looking at cars check the VIN and make sure that the first number is a 1, 4 or 5 otherwise is was made/assembled in another country and shipped in. As for the 300, watch out for the first # being a 2 because many 300 (Chrysler cars) are made in Mexico. Anymore if we do buy a domestic named car that was actually made in this country we'd be lucky to find out that more than 50% of the parts used were made in this country. Good luck to you.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I had a 300T (Magnum, 300 with a BIG trunk ahha) loved it. Only reason traded is because came to WY and needed something to take to the camps
I almost got another one, but it didn't work out. Kiddo called it a space age hearst haha

LXforums.com used to the be the hotspot, not sure if they are still active anymore

DSC00106-1.jpg