Serpentine belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beep119

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all,
Need some advice....
My truck will squeal for a bit when starting in the morning. Doesn’t usually squeal when hot out, just usually when damp or cold out. Only squeals for a little bit maybe a minute or so.
Think it’s just the belt or something else?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
It could be the belt but could also be a pulley bearing going out, try some belt dressing, spray a little bit on the ribbed side while it’s squealing, if it doesn’t quite down within seconds then it’s probably a pulley bearing. If it doesn’t work then take the belt off and spin each pulley to pinpoint the problem child.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just spray water on it. The water will change or stop the squeal for a few seconds if its the belt. If no change. Then check the pulleys

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buy a new belt. They get hard over time. When you are putting it on spin all the pulleys by hand. You can feel and hear a bad bearing. If everything feels good your belt is the issue. Goodyear Gatorback was the nonslip belt of choice on F150's (when I had one) but they were bought by Continental and now go by Continental Elite. I have one on our Jeep and it has been great so far.

dakotakid846

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had the same problem for the past few weeks...wet morning start ups sounded like a flock of birds under the hood.

Went with the Continental Elite...like $15 or so. No more squeaks.

OP
OP
B

beep119

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, put the Continental Elite on...works perfect. No noise at all.
Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk