Service 4WD, ABS and traction control light issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
These lights popped up on my dash and a few times my brakes were engaging ABS at low speeds. Found a video online and took a chance to correct it and it worked. Total cost was about $40, definitely recommend changing both at the same time.

Here's the video I referenced.
Take your time pulling the sensors out as the first one snapped and I had to drill it out. Took less than an hour and only needed an 8mm socket, a flathead screwdriver and a large pair of vice grips.

Hope this helps.

62e0418517fb50e6103d789a6b5e4a5c.jpge1d536e782d7af93a646da1e78349015.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hope you are lucky enough that your issue is actually one of those sensors.

I have a 2012, and have been dealing with the same ABS, traction control, and Servive 4x4 lights for quite some time now.

The short version of the story is;
I now have new speed sensors at all 4 corners, as well as new front wheel bearings, and those lights are still randomly coming on.

Turns out my issue is somewhere in the wiring between my right rear sensor, and the ABS module.

Oh, and just FYI, if you have the 44-44 case, even though the 4x4 light still comes on, you will not get any power to the front wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hope you are lucky enough that your issue is actually one of those sensors.

I have a 2012, and have been dealing with the same ABS, traction control, and Servive 4x4 lights for quite some time now.

The short version of the story is;
I now have new speed sensors at all 4 corners, as well as new front wheel bearings, and those lights are still randomly coming on.

Turns out my issue is somewhere in the wiring between my right rear sensor, and the ABS module.

Oh, and just FYI, if you have the 44-44 case, even though the 4x4 light still comes on, you will not get any power to the front wheels.

Have you checked that large plug in behind the left front fender lining for corrosion?My buddy was a shop foreman and when I bought my 15 SLT new he advised me open that plug and fill with dielectric grease.He told me it was the cause of ABS and 4X4 issues.It hangs pretty much out in the open and is easily seen just laying beside the truck.Worth a shot.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you checked that large plug in behind the left front fender lining for corrosion?My buddy was a shop foreman and when I bought my 15 SLT new he advised me open that plug and fill with dielectric grease.He told me it was the cause of ABS and 4X4 issues.It hangs pretty much out in the open and is easily seen just laying beside the truck.Worth a shot.

Didn’t know that was an issue, but will be checking it shortly.
Thanks for the info!!!

B4DR4M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Didn’t know that was an issue, but will be checking it shortly.
Thanks for the info!!!

I’m currently running into a similar issue except my truck won’t run lol it’ll crank just fine

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just checked that plug.
LOL at whoever thought that was a good location for an electrical plug :wtf: .

A word of caution though, especially if your truck has some age on it, the little locking ears are brittle!!! Just releasing the locking lever caused one of the tabs to break off on mine. Hoping just one will hold it together, otherwise I’ll have to figure out some way to put a zip-tie around it.

Last edited:

B4DR4M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just checked that plug.
LOL at whoever thought that was a good location for an electrical plug [emoji2357].

A word of caution though, especially if your truck has some age on it, the little locking ears are brittle!!! Just releasing the locking lever caused one of the tabs to break off on mine. Hoping just one will hold it together, otherwise I’ll have to figure out some way to put a zip-tie around it.

Has that seemed to solved your issue?

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has that seemed to solved your issue?

Too soon to tell for sure. My issue has been totally random. The only thing consistent about it is that the code that comes up is always for the right rear wheel speed sensor. Some days the lights will come on after only moving a few feet. Other days, like last week for example, I was able to make the 100 mile round trip to the feed store, without any issues at all.

B4DR4M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Definitely keep me updated. I
Too soon to tell for sure. My issue has been totally random. The only thing consistent about it is that the code that comes up is always for the right rear wheel speed sensor. Some days the lights will come on after only moving a few feet. Other days, like last week for example, I was able to make the 100 mile round trip to the feed store, without any issues at all.
plan on checking mine as well but got to get down to the asd relay for mine.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just checked that plug.
LOL at whoever thought that was a good location for an electrical plug :wtf: .

Did you see any obvious corrosion or evidence or water intrusion?

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you see any obvious corrosion or evidence or water intrusion?

No obvious signs of water. However, there was a lot of really fine dust, which I assume is due to living on a gravel road. I blew it out with compressed air and put it back together. I didn’t have much dielectric grease though, so I need to pick up some more, and add a little more to the plug.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fine dust from salt spray maybe.That **** gets everywhere and salt is an awesome conductor.We used to make up a salt and water solution to check intermittent wheel speed sensors.

Harleyhog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Definitely keep me updated. I

plan on checking mine as well but got to get down to the asd relay for mine.
Did u figure what your trouble was with your abs light I have same problem

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess this can be considered an update.
My issue has not been resolved.
All three lights will still come on randomly, and each time, the code is for erratic performance of the right rear wheel speed sensor.

I have not yet had time to physically check all of the wiring between the ABS module, and the rear axle, so for now, I’m just resetting/clearing the code, whenever the lights come on.

Nrich902

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone have any suggestions for me. I've been dealing with the traction control, ABS, and service 4 wheel drive lights for over a year now. anytime I get a mechanic to scan the codes, it just comes up as a wheel sensor, they've all been changed along with 3 of the 4 wheel bearings, but the lights do not go away. when i switch to 4 wheel dr it says it switches to 4 auto and 4 lock, but not 4 low.

Nrich902

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
were any of these issues resolved? Did you end up finding anything other than the ABS sensor or wheel hub? could it be the ABS module?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio