Service 4wd And traction control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mdir325

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all sorry if this has been posted. I recently redid my front brakes, calipers and all. Afterwards i got the service 4wd light and traction control light to come on. When i turn car off and back on it resets lights then after a little bit of driving comes back on. I ran the codes it came up as Brake Pedal Switch…I replaced switch and now it seems to go a little longet but the lights still activate. Any thoughts? Im getting NO ABS lights to go on…im not even sure if the ABS work…but i do get ABS light on when i initially start car when all lights sequence on…help be greatly appreciated

Rustypipes12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I won't scare you with all the issues I'm having but you may have a wire grounding out or it could be your ABS control module. Check for recalls and service bulletins first @ NHTSA's website.

OP
OP
M

Mdir325

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I never had an issue until i did my brakes…calipers and all…so I think something may have happened when i was manually self bleeding…but just weird my ABS light does not come on just service 4wd and traction control

Rustypipes12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine started with a short in my trailer harness, The short version is that my ABS light never came on either but my brake lights aren't coming on and the gear shift (column) is stuck in park, if I touch the brake (which has a new switch) the traction control light comes on. After many hours discussion with several master mechanics and a slew of tests (I bought a scanner too) . It's come down to the ABS control module and possibly the TIPM as I've already replaced the PCM. It's worth it to buy a code scanner unless you don't work on your vehicle much. I'm semi disabled and retired so I don't have a choice. My TRX4 is 14 years old and i plan on driving it another 14, LOl.

OP
OP
M

Mdir325

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes got a scanner…came back p0571, replaced brake light switch…went longer but then lights came back on…again i turn off car it resets and i get a decent time with no lights then randomly comes on again

Rustypipes12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well, after checking wiring, check to make sure you don't have a bent backing plate. Probably the cheapest fix would be to replace the sensors one at a time. Always check with NHTSA's website to find out about recalls and service bulletins specific to your truck. (Could save you time and money). Check for shorts in trailer brake package if you have one. There are several relays that you could test, it gets more involved and expensive from there. At least that's from my experience but I'm retired plumber not a mechanic.

XBrav

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're willing to cough up the cash to buy the app and a good dongle, AlfaOBD can give you the specific error related to the ABS failure. Currently, mine is acting up due to an issue with the rear wheel speed sensor, and it looks to be wiring-related. But with AlfaOBD, you can trend (graph) all the sensor calculations to see if something is intermittent.
There could also be an issue with one of the connectors. You may have additional faults with the ABS that didn't generate an error in the ECU. The brake error you're seeing may have a time delay to verify the failure, which is why it takes longer to show after a reset.
The drawings I have for the 46 way ABS connector on my '09 don't show a direct connection into the ABS, but the 2012 may be different. Either way, I think you'd benefit from a deeper scan into the ABS module.