Service 4x4 (intermittent and in 2wd)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Hello all. New to the forum, I've read countless articles about the dreaded service 4x4 light. Im rather new to owning dodges This is my first one! I am also a heavy duty mechanic so I'm familiar with the principles of operation. Anyways here are my issues.
2015 ram 1500 sport, 3:92 gears, 8 speed transmission.
So i get a random service 4x4 light under hard acceleration in two wheel drive, it stays on for about 30 seconds then disappears.
Now when its cold - 20 celcius or colder I can drive for about 1 km then the light will come on and usually stay on for about 10 minutes (still in 2wd) when the service 4x4 light is on it will still shift normally as if there is no light on it does not inhibit 4x4 engagement at all.
I have launchpad code reader the higher end model. There is only one code pulled C140D transfer case motor control circuit open. I have taken it to the dealer twice and they were more concerned about the recalls than the issue. They scanned it said they found nothing, dielectric greased my plug and charged me $250. (damn expensive grease) I took it to the dealer again today and on the way it never did it even though its been on and off all month!!! I tried everything to get it to go on and it wouldn't, the dealership said there's nothing they can do with no codes so im back to being in the dark again. Anyone have any ideas?? Dodge says it doesn't monitor 4x4 status in 2wd so I'm at a loss.
Dealership doesnt know what to do and i don't want to throw too much money at this thing. It also can't be a pcm issue as it's got a new pcm and it did this same thing before. Pcm came with my diablo tuner.
Thanks for any help in advance!
Ps Where's the dtcm module located id like to check plugs and pins for possible corrosion.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Are you 100% sure it's going into 4x4 mode when the light is on?

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Yes 100% i have tested it a few times on gravel/snowy roads and it spins all tires well 3 usually lol. Even with the light on. I can also hear the tcase motor working as well.

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Oh side note too I have dielectric greased all the plugs I could find on the underside of the truck. Wheel speed sensors t case plug front diff plug anything that was visible.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
:bump:
Changed t case fluid to synthetic. It sets svc 4x4 light less often now but still an issue.

Any ideas? Anyone?

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
So I switched to synthetic t case oil Havnt had the issue since.