Service ABS system, traction control, trailer break system etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Dodge Ram sport 4x4 crew
Engine
hemi 5.7
I get all those errors on my dash. Service ABS etc...it occurs after hitting my breaks on uneven ground...driving in gravel and hitting the breaks on a simple road lights up the dash with all the alarms I'm also feeling the abs vibration in the break pedal when breaking on a highway... I figured it was the rear abs sensors.. I replaced them but nothing went away and I'm still having the issue....I also lose 4x4.....what the hell can it be?! I got no play in my tires by trying to rock them up or down.....this is really frustrating I'm in desperate need of help. The abs lights go on and off randomly... it's a 2015 ram sport. Please I need answers.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Almost sounds like the bcm is going out. Have ya pulled the codes? Are there any stored codes?

The Blue Mule

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I plugged in my OBD2 scanner and it's not picking up any codes

lincmercguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
From your description, it sounds like the lights don't come on unless you hit the brakes in a situation that would cause the ABS to activate? Does that sound accurate?

It's difficult to tell what it might be without pulling the codes from the ABS module, so you probably want to figure out a way to do that. ABS codes don't fall into the OBD-2 area, because they are not engine related. A simple OBD-2 only scanner can't access the ABS module. There are aftermarket scanners out there that will work with airbag and ABS modules as well, at least for codes.

Assuming it only happens when your ABS activates, I wouldn't suspect a sensor or exciter ring. Those will usually throw codes with normal driving, or possibly suspension articulation if it's a bad wire. Even though you're not hitting the brakes, the ABS module is monitoring wheel speed and will throw codes for a bad sensor.

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
From your description, it sounds like the lights don't come on unless you hit the brakes in a situation that would cause the ABS to activate? Does that sound accurate?

It's difficult to tell what it might be without pulling the codes from the ABS module, so you probably want to figure out a way to do that. ABS codes don't fall into the OBD-2 area, because they are not engine related. A simple OBD-2 only scanner can't access the ABS module. There are aftermarket scanners out there that will work with airbag and ABS modules as well, at least for codes.

Assuming it only happens when your ABS activates, I wouldn't suspect a sensor or exciter ring. Those will usually throw codes with normal driving, or possibly suspension articulation if it's a bad wire. Even though you're not hitting the brakes, the ABS module is monitoring wheel speed and will throw codes for a bad sensor.
So basically. It activates almost everytime on say like a dirt road where if I do hit my breaks I'm obviously not going to come to a complete stop...I'll feel the peddle vibration and the service light will come on. And for me to really activate it, I would simply slam my breaks on a road and boom instantly on. I'll lose everything. Cruise , 4x4 traction....so If i drive for abit the lights will go away ...idk why but they will...I'll try and see if it will occur again and it doesn't...almost like now its completely disabled with the abs notification not lit up...I tested by trying to turn my 4x4 on and it won't engage....so obviously the computer disabled it. But gone In cluster....i dont know...i ordered 2 front sensors from rockauto and going to change fronts. If that doesn't fix the problem I dont know what else to do....

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I wonder if the proportioning valve causing the grief. Maybe the ABS is kicking in to keep the wheels from locking up and the wheel speed sensors detects too much of a difference front to rear??

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
proportioning valve?????? help lol

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I wonder if the proportioning valve causing the grief. Maybe the ABS is kicking in to keep the wheels from locking up and the wheel speed sensors detects too much of a difference front to rear??
I wonder if it could be ABS module?

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just had the dealer replace the ABS module and both rear speed sensors. Not cheap but I had the same issue that you do except the ABS, traction control, and service 4x4 system lights were on my dash all the time. Also no cruise control.

It's only been 1 week but everything is good now.

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just had the dealer replace the ABS module and both rear speed sensors. Not cheap but I had the same issue that you do except the ABS, traction control, and service 4x4 system lights were on my dash all the time. Also no cruise control.

I changed the rear speed sensors...I got 2 new ones for the front coming in....today I tool the front sensor off to clean...put it back and now I got a check engine light and the abs system lights up instantly now.

P1C4E is the code I'm getting.

P1C4E - FAULT IN ABS/ESP MODULE
Set Condition:
An active DTC (diagnostic trouble code) is stored in the ABS/ESP Module.

Is the abs MODULE covered under powertrain?? My truck only has 45k....2015 ram....

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

And if you dont mind me asking...what was the cost after they fixed it? Did u need a new module?

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And if you dont mind me asking...what was the cost after they fixed it? Did u need a new module?
I do not know if it would be covered under warranty, mine was just out of warranty.

The module comes in two parts that are sandwiched together. To replace both pieces plus both rear wheel speed sensors it was $2,000. I had a dealership quote me at $2,400 and got a 2nd opinion, both Chrysler/FCA dealerships.

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I do not know if it would be covered under warranty, mine was just out of warranty.

The module comes in two parts that are sandwiched together. To replace both pieces plus both rear wheel speed sensors it was $2,000. I had a dealership quote me at $2,400 and got a 2nd opinion, both Chrysler/FCA dealerships.
Holy F....that module is $2000 lol????
I hope I don't have that issue..my check engine light is gone. Just the abs light turns on right when I hit a slight bump on road. Then randomly goes away .

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy F....that module is $2000 lol????
I hope I don't have that issue..my check engine light is gone. Just the abs light turns on right when I hit a slight bump on road. Then randomly goes away .
Yeah tell me about it. F'kn stupid. My lights were on all the time, I drove 2 months with them on and a non working abs/4x4 system while I decided what to do.

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah tell me about it. F'kn stupid. My lights were on all the time, I drove 2 months with them on and a non working abs/4x4 system while I decided what to do.
well i just replaced both rear sensors & front sensors....no abs light but engine light was on. and it was the modual CODE .....plugged my scanner in and cleared codes and the truck is better than ever? i think it completely reset my computer? i got no idea but shes not lit up like a xmas tree anymore...see how long it lasts??

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well i just replaced both rear sensors & front sensors....no abs light but engine light was on. and it was the modual CODE .....plugged my scanner in and cleared codes and the truck is better than ever? i think it completely reset my computer? i got no idea but shes not lit up like a xmas tree anymore...see how long it lasts??

Excellent, hope that fixes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 4x4
any Luck with the P1C4E trouble code?? I got the same in a vehicle that had been rolled / totalled... where to start...

gator6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
The site isn't letting me post a new thread in the 4th gen area for some reason. My dad's 2013 has the traction control, abs, and airbag lights on. I thought it had something to do with my BIL resetting a code for a cylinder 3 misfire since they all (including the DTC light) illuminated at the same time. Upon further investigation, I looked at the front right abs wheel sensor and found that the harness it connects to had been ripped out of the main harness.

I took some wire, spiced everything back together, and sealed it up well, but the lights are still on. Any thoughts?

Farmboy66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IT APPEARS I SOLVED MY ISSUE.
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie and had the Check Engine Light, Traction Control Light, ABS Light and well as a messages stating Service Electric Braking System and Service Trailer Braking System all come on and off intermittently over the course of 2-3 months but the truck drove fine.
Plugged the scanner in and got several codes including U0418 (implausible data….) P0518 and numerous versions of P0044 codes.

All things pointed to my ABS module and that it had failed. Checked with the dealer and new parts are not expected until September as the original supplier closed down. Finally found a company where you send in your module and they repair/test and send it back to you for $250 which was better then a new one from the dealer at over $1000. That doesn’t include the pump which was quoted at $1500.
So I crawled under the truck to remove the two lowers bolts to notice that the ABS module was separated from the pump housing which I’m assuming was caused by corrosion between the aluminum pump and the metal screws holding the module. That had allowed road salt/brine into the unit.
Got the module off the truck and cleaned all the salt out using a small pick and a salt remover cleaner you use to remove salt stains from inside your vehicle. Then used electric cleaner and air dried it with my compressor. Bolted it back on and after the truck ran its own diagnostic the codes are gone.
So today took it off again and ran liquid gasket makers around both the pump and module and put back together to try and separate the different metals but mainly to prevent road salt issue again.

Hoping this might help someone else check that first before buying expensive new parts.

Love this forum and people’s help

Cheers