service airbag system.. fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

john94si

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck has 69k miles and i was planning on taking it in for all recalls this week but yesterday i had my car cleaned and the airbag light was on afterwards.
I called the dealer and they said the warranty is up for the airbag and it would cost money to check it. I read online to check the connections under the seat.

So i disconnected the negative terminal on my battery then disconnected all my under seat wiring plugs and repeated them and but the battery connection back and the alert and light is gone. This seems to be a common issue so if you see SERVICE AIRBAG SYSTEM check the under seat wiring.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the heads up and tip.
Might save a few $$$$$$ for someone
Thanks again

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey have you seen this pop back up at all? I've been fighting this annoying chime for a while now. I've followed other recommendations about making sure the connectors are level and tight against their bracket. Each time I mess with it, the light and chime go away for a couple days/weeks/months and then will come back upon either something hitting them again, like vacuuming the floor or just whenever it wants to annoy me again. Checked associated fuses as well since this was also pointed to as a possible fault and they were not loose.

OP
OP
john94si

john94si

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey have you seen this pop back up at all? I've been fighting this annoying chime for a while now. I've followed other recommendations about making sure the connectors are level and tight against their bracket. Each time I mess with it, the light and chime go away for a couple days/weeks/months and then will come back upon either something hitting them again, like vacuuming the floor or just whenever it wants to annoy me again. Checked associated fuses as well since this was also pointed to as a possible fault and they were not loose.

Yes it does come back. My dog always sleeps under my seat if i take her for rides (shes only 6lbs so yes she fits) she seems to jiggle the harness enough to set it off. Some fiddling again and i can get it off from alerting for awhile.
I also notice if i accelerate sometimes it goes away but under braking it comes back which further leads me to a short or bad wire connection.

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah i'm also leaning towards poor wiring connection. Whether it's in the connector plug or the wire going into an individual pin is the question. I was good for a couple months and then when it started going off again, I looked under the seat and a package of bungie cords had rolled under there from the back. It was presumably rolling back and forth as I drove and was hitting the connectors towards the rear of the seat so that is where I will start focusing again. I have thought about trying to find an insertion/extractor tool set to remove and replace the pins/connectors down there and get an overall look of the wiring.

BillB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I have the same situation, disconnect under seat wiring and it works for a period of time then comes back at an unknown time frame. Has anyone brought it to a dealer, and if so what did they do and what was the cost?

OP
OP
john94si

john94si

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same situation, disconnect under seat wiring and it works for a period of time then comes back at an unknown time frame. Has anyone brought it to a dealer, and if so what did they do and what was the cost?
I traded my 2014 and got a new 2019 that fixed it permanently

2019-09-28 11.21.25.jpg

BillB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Well, I couldn’t take the insanity anymore. The dinging was driving me nuts. Removing cables under seat is only a temp fix. Finally brought it to dealer and they had to repair the wires in the connectors. $275. Not what i wanted to do, but now its stopped

MAB TF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unknown
I'm having same issue. Just sitting here in the dealership while they look at it, they're telling me it'll cost 748 dollars to replace the entire thing! I nearly yelled,... Told them to forget it and I will try what is mentioned in this thread. Thanks guys for this post.

sourdough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is now on. I'll check under seat plug. Thanks for post:driver:
Update:
unplugged seat plugs and disconnected batteries for 5 minutes and opened doors. Reconnected and light is still on. No fault codes happening. ?

Last edited:

Yesac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has been intermittent for a year. Dealer said no fault codes. They narrowed it to passenger side front seat. They suggested replacing wiring harness. I replaced under seat wiring harness. No change. Nothing under seat touching connectors. Frustrating.

Robert Mc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I realize this is an older thread but I’m having the same issue. It was very intermittent last year but now it’s a dozen times per day after detailing the truck the other day.

Has anyone just removed the plug and hardwired the two sides together? This is pretty annoying. Every time I clean the truck the light and buzzer start going off randomly but it usually stops after a day or two. But this time it won’t stop. I’ve had about all I can of it.

Dobaramguy84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess ill continue bringing this thread back. Same issue, just started this past Saturday after running some errands. Nothing happen yesterday, but it came on 3 different times on my way home from work just now. Is the seat wiring the issue or one of the sensors? It would come on during braking, but shut off on acceleration.

Robert Mc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Update After getting nowhere with the connectors under the seat in stopping the airbag service message I decided to unbolt the seats and access the airbag module so I could get the part number for it. I disconnected the batteries first and unplugged the two cables from the module and let it remain without power for about 30 minutes. I blew out both the male and female ends of the connectors with compressed air to make sure everything was clean. I reconnected the module, bolted the seats back in, reconnected the plugs under the seats, and reconnected the batteries in the truck. It’s been a full day now and about 15 start/stop cycles and so far the Airbag Service light/chime has not been back on. We’ll see how long this lasts. I also have the part number in case I need to order a new module. But honestly there have been so many other "fixes" a new module may not be the right one. People have had loose wires under the seats, a clock spring(?), a crushed wire under the module, a crushed wire under the steering column, a bad sensor in the seat belt, a loose connection in the plugs under the seat, and so many other **** poor connections it doesn't make sense to buy a $600 module when it could be a $.03 connector somewhere else in the truck.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Adding some die-electric grease to the connectors may help .