Service DEF System message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Need some help folks. I recently added 2.5 gallons of DEF to the truck and I had a light come on. I’ve looked around some and seen where this happens some when adding more than 1 gallon of DEF I’m hoping that’s my case. And can get the light took care of without needing any replacement parts. Do any of you guys have any ideas on this?15f33d734e7b008eb4d339a59e8dd052.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It shouldn't matter how much or little DEF you added. There is most likely a problem with the DEF pump/level detection system in the tank.
Did the check engine light come on and are you able to see what the error code is? A lot of the error codes dealing with the DEF, DPF, and SCR are usually only resettable via the dealer. I don't know if AlphaOBD would be able to reset the codes.

OP
OP
Statcher1

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No I never got a engine light to come in or any codes. I just got done looking through my manual and it says to only add at most 2 gallons from a half tank. And I had added a gallon the previous week. And then another 2.5 gallon this week. So I’m hoping it’s just overfilled or something stupid. I’ll try draining some out this evening. If that doesn’t work it’s off to the dealer Monday.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The message is almost saying you are gonna run out soon and go into limp mode. I think @crash68 is correct.

I wonder if the level sensing system is gacked out as well. Based on quantities added, you may have overfilled it in any event.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I guessing the only reason they mention to only put in 2 gallons when the gauge is at half full is your tank only holds 5 gallons. They CTD and EcoD probably use the same sending/level assembly and I've pumped in 6 gallons at once. FCA probably doesn't want you to over fill the tank as the DEF needs room to expand when it freezes.

On another forum, a guy was successful at cleaning his DEF tank as the level indication wasn't working. I think his threw a code though.

OP
OP
Statcher1

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I managed to siphon out about 5gallons this evening. It took it down to just above the E line. I added 2gallons back in 1gallon increments. Although it didn’t kick the light off. I guess I’ll be heading to the dealer for sure Monday.

OP
OP
Statcher1

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok good news for me I think anyways. I went out today to remove the tuner on the truck and set it back to stock. And the code/message disappeared after the tuner finished setting the truck back to stock. Now just to drive it around for a few days to see if it comes back up.

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't had any experience with the ram def system as I deleted mine before I even put any def in it, but I know with the European big rigs and tray trucks you can have problems with overfilling.

What happens is the sensor goes out of range when overfilled, the same as it goes out of range when empty.

This can make the system think that it is empty.

Most systems also have a def quality sensor so adding anything but good quality def will generate a code.

Pretty sure all def systems are made by bosch, so this probably applies to all systems regardless of vehicle manufacturer.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Tdecoursey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any way to disable the mileage limp mode so you can at least get to your destination. I use alphaOBD as well.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Any way to disable the mileage limp mode so you can at least get to your destination. I use alphaOBD as well.
I know with the EcoDiesel you can pull the starter relay and jumper the contacts to get the truck to start when the DEF system prevents you from starting the truck.

Warner R Rohr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO cummins
I am running a 2020 ram diesel and the def froze up on me and the gauge stuck at 3/4 finally warmed the unit up as we were -40Celsius for 10 days. once the unit was warmed up same reading as yours I tried pulling the negative and positive off to get a reset but no good. Had to limp it in for the dealer to reset
Big **** off for sure why do they make crap like def fluid that freezes when we have below temperatures for 5 months of the year not just RAM all diesel have same issues even heavy equipment I have 5 track hoes all down until they get reset

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963