Service Ramps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Droff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got a 2019 Laramie 1500 4x4 and would like to pick up a set of ramps to help get under it for oil changes. I also have a couple other vehicles I can use them with as well.
I want to keep the price reasonable but also want a good, safe pair of ramps.
Any suggestions? Composite? Steel? Aluminum?
Thanks.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have both steel old as the hills and composite (from harbor freight) ultimately I use the composite ones more because they are lighter. they actually slip less pulling up on them when on smooth cement as they have rubber pads that help to keep them from sliding. I have to throw a rug under the steel ones or you get finger nails on chalkboard on steroids....

OP
OP
D

Droff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The concrete screeching is what I'd want to avoid but wasn't sure which composite pair would be a better choice. I've seen several pics of the composite ramps buckling or folding under use, gives me some concern with them but I like them for their weight and easier to move around.
I was thinking about going with these, they are rated for 10K, not 16K.

Black Widow ramps

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The concrete screeching is what I'd want to avoid but wasn't sure which composite pair would be a better choice. I've seen several pics of the composite ramps buckling or folding under use, gives me some concern with them but I like them for their weight and easier to move around.
I was thinking about going with these, they are rated for 10K, not 16K.

Black Widow ramps
I have a 2020 Power wagon on 35's and the harbor freight ones have been no problem. they look like the same exact ones only cheaper at HF

rotts4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e torque
I like the Rhino Ramps too. They are light weight and store stacked together to save space. Well worth the price

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I built ramps out of 2X8s, they were heavy but sturdy
great for vehicles with low clearance issues

I also heavy steel ramps, with holes machined in them for tire traction
Great for 60s & 70s pickups

When i bought my old 2009 Ram SLT with Sport Bumpers
I went to Pep Boys & bought some long plastic ramps.
When you turn them upside down, they have so much crisscross bracing, that they will never collapse

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
In my 2019 Laramie i just slid under to do the oil. How much clearance do you need? Few inches or many? If just a few, i would just pull up on some wood.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 and 2016 Honda CRV and a 2017 civic so the ramps are nice. I have a power wagon on 35's and yes even with that the ramps are nice. I will run a set under both front and rear tires to gain nice clearance underneath. never too much room when working on a vehicle. I use them for more than just oil changes. I use them for washing underneath and spraying fluid film and changing exhausts and installing skids and many other things. i have had my steel ramps for well over 40 years.

any4xx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It was mentioned above already, but let me second the “build your own.” I’ve got a pair of steel ramps that I bought almost 50 years ago. They will hold anything, but they slide all over the place while trying to drive up onto them unless you use some sort of pad under them.

I’ve got about three sets of varying thicknesses (heights) I’ve built over the years out of 2-10’s and 2x12’s that work great. But even with those I did have one car that would always spit them right out the back of the car whenever I’d try to drive up onto them without a bit of a running start.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've got a set of the Rhino ramps and they work great. Mine are rated at 12,000 GVW.

Red

OP
OP
D

Droff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for all the input fellas, the Rhino Ramps won out. I will keep the 'build your own' in mind, I just didn't want the weight and bulk of those at the moment.

Aircommuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I built mine from old cross arm braces that the power company threw away, I made the ramp detachable, when I built my new shop with a 2 post lift I gave them away to a friend and he still uses them.

BBNtrucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is your new Limited equipped with air ride suspension? If so just raise it all the way up and shimmy underneath!

Jimmitch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use race ramps but they are not cheep. Light and easy to move around.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I’m with GT, I made my own with 2x10. There is nothing to collapse. IMHO, safer than Chinese stuff.

czervika

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'ma pretty big ol boy, more round than I am tall and I don't have a problem getting under the ram with out ramp or jack. I'd just use wood if you're looking for just a couple inches as mentioned previously in the thread.

weldguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take a tip from an old guy.. This is a slap-your-forehead moment.
Cut two lengths of rope long enough to go from the front to back of your vehicle. Loop one end of each rope through the ramps. Lay the ropes out so you will drive over them when approaching the ramps. As the front wheels start up te ramps, the rear wheels will be on the ropes keeping the ramps from sliding!!! Works in reverse too. OK... Slap your foreheads now. :)

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Take a tip from an old guy.. This is a slap-your-forehead moment.
Cut two lengths of rope long enough to go from the front to back of your vehicle. Loop one end of each rope through the ramps. Lay the ropes out so you will drive over them when approaching the ramps. As the front wheels start up te ramps, the rear wheels will be on the ropes keeping the ramps from sliding!!! Works in reverse too. OK... Slap your foreheads now. :)
That's actually a handy idea! (slapping forehead as I speak)