service schedule - radiator and rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't been able to find a definite answer. The manual has nothing for maintenance for either items under normal service.

I have a 3.6, 3.55 2017. Only towed a small uhaul trailer once. I have 81k miles, 80 percent highway, but in the mountains of Western North Carolina. When should the radiator be flushed and the rear end fluid changed. I see the rear end schedule under "extreme conditions ", but nothing under normal conditions.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Better to change it when you don't need to than the alternative. Shouldn't be too hard to do and not very expensive either. And look closely at both drained fluids for particles that shouldn't be there.
On my old motorhome that I'm fixing up (no warranty issues to consider), I added a coolant filter to the system because I saw lots of little black particles in the drained fluid---probably rubber parts decaying, cheap insurance. Also changed hoses, etc., of course. You most likely won't need that, but I thought I'd offer that idea too.
Kinda like the catch-can mentality you see on this forum---if you love it, give it some TLC.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
I haven't been able to find a definite answer. The manual has nothing for maintenance for either items under normal service.

I have a 3.6, 3.55 2017. Only towed a small uhaul trailer once. I have 81k miles, 80 percent highway, but in the mountains of Western North Carolina. When should the radiator be flushed and the rear end fluid changed. I see the rear end schedule under "extreme conditions ", but nothing under normal conditions.

Here you go. I'm sure if you want to change the coolant sooner you can. The trans I wouldn't wait. I've seen video on youtube about 60,000 being about the limit on the 8 speed. Think about it. For the life of the vehicle means different things to different entities. The manufacturer might think it means till the warranty runs out and they aren't responsible for repairs. That would be 5 years or 60,000 miles. The tough thing with the 8 speed, is there's no really easy way short of crawling under it with a small cup and open it up and let it leak out a little to see what it looks like. But good luck with that as the fluid is a weird greenish color that might be hard to diagnose. It isn't red, or shades of dirty red. The rear end fluid says check and change at 30,000 or 3 years.

OwnersManualMaintenanceSchedule.JPGOwnersManualMaintenanceScheduleP1.JPG

Last edited: